G4DDL SP-004 Today!

Hi All,

apologies for poor morse today but had a loose connection in the Palm paddle on my KX1.

Also it rained suddenly and heavily at the end of the activation so in order to save the KX1 from damage I let the log get a bit wet!!! I can’t read some of the times so times in my log are approx. If this causes a problem please reply off-reflector and I will correct my log.

Thanks for all the contacts and 73
Mike G4DDL

In reply to G4DDL:

Rain? Pah! I had snow :slight_smile:

The times are not too important Mike. A few minutes error isn’t a problem. As long as you have the day and hour correct then that should be good enough.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Thanks Andy,

The problem was that I was not prepared for rain, it was a nice day but a sudden squally shower caught me out!

Nice to work you on CW the other day, listened for you on a few occasions but propagation has not been in my favour.

Is the server down at present? I can’t log on and get a server error message.

cheers

Mike G4DDL

In reply to G4DDL:

Is the server down at present? I can’t log on and get a server error message.

It would seem so. I was halfway through entering a log at 13:01 BST and the server suddenly crashed and gave an error message.

:frowning:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

It’s up every time I’ve tried but that doesn’t mean it’s not been down at some point. I’ve looked and I know which files are recreated when the code reboots and the timestamps on those says the webserver code has not been rebooted. So probably the database server has been at issue.

There are two “servers” involved for the database. A webserver running our custom code and a SQL server running the actual database. The webserver runs our code to display the raw database data. This is all in a hosting centre somewhere in the UK, Manchester I think.

What can happen is that connectivity between the webserver and database server can be impacted leading to errors. This maybe because the internal network is full or because switches are overloaded or the database server is rebooting. If you can get some of the database pages appearing but can’t log in or can’t add data then that suggests the database server is not talking to the webserver. If you can’t get anything then it could be webserver is rebooting/offline etc.

Normally things come back very quickly. The hosting company know that if stuff goes offline for more than a few minutes their switchboard will light up with people making fault reports etc. So they do work their hardest to minimise impact. It affects us by being a pain in the proverbial but for some of their clients they’ll be loosing money.

The good news is the code was written with faults like this in mind. Not by me but by Gary who created the original system. This means any partially entered data should still be around when you try to enter it again. Maybe you will have lost just the last line entered, but a partial log should be offered for completion when you try to enter it again.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

This means any partially entered data should still be around when you try to
enter it again. Maybe you will have lost just the last line entered, but a
partial log should be offered for completion when you try to enter it again.

Yes, it was, so I lost nothing. However, it crashed twice between 13:00 and 13:20 BST and I had to log in again each time.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:
Hi Walt & Andy

Yes, the server came back very quickly to me.
I had barely sent the mail asking if it was down and it came back up!
Managed to upload my visit to WB-005 from yesterday and correct a callsign error in my SP004 log!

I notice some bad callsign errors for my call in my earliest activations (/P missing) I will correct those in the near future now I know how!

73 to all

Mike G4DDL