G1INK... Inky completes "G"

Congrats Steve!

73, Peter - ON4UP

In reply to G1STQ:

Thanks for all the comments.

In reply to John :-

Favorites,
Bow Fell for the superb views, pity it`s not SOTA.
G/LD-008 Blencathra, great place to spend a few hours in summer.
G/WB-006 Caer Caradoc, big effort for 1 point but well worth it.

Tick in the boxes (ie Ill not rush back) G/LD-057 Swinside, the hill is ok but restricted access, should be deleted from the program in my opinion. G/SC-010 Dundry Down, such a scruffy summit. G/SP-017 Billinge Hill, as above. G/SE-007 Crowborough, I didnt see much here as it was 0130am, however looking on google earth etc it looks terrible.

In reply to G1INK:

G/SE-007 Crowborough, I didn`t see much here as it was 0130am, however looking on google earth etc it looks terrible.

I think that deserves an innovation award Steve. I activated Dundry at dusk, but your efforts certainly exceed mine by far! :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

P.S. Hands off Swinside - it’s a lovely little summit. It was not an issue having to ask for permission to activate that one. Far less hassle than making arrangements to go onto G/NP-002 Mickle Fell.

In reply to G1INK:

G/SE-007 Crowborough, I didn`t see much here as it was 0130am, however
looking on google earth etc it looks terrible.

Hello Steve, I am about 15 minutes drive from G/SE-007. Crowborough is worse in daylight so you have been spared :sunglasses: Apologies to any ops who live there!

Mike G6TUH

In reply to G1INK:

Hi Steve,

The undisputed winner of the UK Slash Your Wrists category is IMHO, GW/NW-031 Esgeiriau Gwynion, dreadful place :frowning:

For the G category, G/TW-003 Gisborough Moor, must be one of the leading contenders.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

What wrong with Guisborough Moor? Been there many times but not with radio.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

What wrong with Guisborough Moor? Been there many times but not with
radio.

http://www.sotawatch.org/article.php?summit=G/TW-003&id=6631

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Ah, I thought you were on about the ground itself not that you didn’t take the right equipment for the summit location. I had a friend who lived at the foot of it, well his parents still do. Happy memories riding a Bultaco 250 up on there, but that was 30+ years ago.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

When I activated it with Dave G4ASA, at the begining of August last year, the ground was soaking wet.

The views are pretty much non-existent, and VHF take-off is rubbish. Not one I`d care to do again, Andy.

The fact that it hasn`t been activated since Dave and myself visited it last year, says it all really.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

The worst one ever was Kinder Scout - today! Thawing snow on all the paths and peat bogs making every single footstep a painstakingly slow, careful and irritating experience. You’d think that the initial walk from Barber Booth to Upper Booth along tarmac lanes would be better - but no - black ice everywhere! I was only ten yards into my ascent when it got me the first time and tipped me ove onto the road. The rest of the day kind og followed suit.

I ascended onto the Kinder plateau via Crowden Clough, but this was not pleasant, especially when that horrible thawing slippy snow was covering the narrow path right next to the sheer drops on the right! Once beyond Crowden Tower, most of the snow was nicely consolidated and not taking too much of a boot - but you could never be sure and from time-to-time, your leg would disappear. The peat hags appeared to be frozen and good for walking on - and they were in parts. But in other places they were soft, gluey - and hungry! More than once I found myself doing a cartoon ‘Road Runner’ style battle to keep my feet moving to stop the bog swallowing me whole!

So, onto the plateau, and cue the visibility to disappear and the clag to roll in. Great. I continued following the general uphill route as I searched for the spine of the summit plateau, still experiencing physical battles with the dreadful underfoot conditions every few seconds.

Success - I found my first cairn at the top. I was in the AZ, but wanted to find Kinder Low before settling down, as visibility was poor, and I knew my descent route from Kinder Low. Time for a compass bearing. Now my compass had been smashed in two when I fell on the black ice at Barber Booth, so would the main part of it still be working properly? No way to find out, it had mysteriously disappeared, string and all, from my map case.

Now I was in a pickle. Knew where I was, but didn’t know what direction was what, and limited visibility. I could see the next cairn, but didn’t know whether it was east or west! I recalled from the weather forecast that the predominant wind was going to be westerly, so I progressed by maintaining the wind on my face! I paused at the cairn with a stick in it (regular Kinder-hoppers will be familiar with this landmark) and noticed that the wind was really blowing the mist around. It was causing occasional improvements in visibility in certain directions. I kept my eyes peeled!

Briefly, came a glance of the trig point and rocks at Kinder Low. And then it was gone again. But I know knew that walking directly into the wind was definitely the right strategy. A few minutes later, after more bog and snow hopping, I was there. I began to extend the pole, but soon realised that this was not feasible in this wind. Sadly, the HB1B and accompanying 80-40-30-20 Band Hopper IV antenna would have to wait.

I hunkered down under a large rock for some meagre shelter, and warmed myself up with some carrot & coriander soup. I glanced at the time on my 'phone. 2.30pm!!! Nearly five hours taken already! Proof, if proof be needed that the underfoot conditions were horrible, and that my fitness is well below par.

Still sitting down, I made a call on the VX7R on 2m FM. Immediately, I had a run of 7 or 8 QSOs. No point hanging around then, I really needed to get moving, because at the speed I was averaging for the day, I might be struggling to be back at Barber Booth before dark!

The descent down by Edale Rocks was just as arduous and treacherous as the ascent up Crowden Clough and the peat bogs on the plateau. I prioritised safety over speed, and so it was painfully slow again. What’s more, the rain now came in, mainly light, but with one 5 minute period of a heavy downpour - lovely. Once I reached Lee Farm, it was that long and tedious road walk through Upper Booth Farm and back to Barber Booth.

As I took my rucksack off at the car, there appeared my hitherto missing compass, still dangling on red string from my mapcase! It must have got caught up on my rucksack behind me, in my “blind spot”! I finished my soup as I warmed up in the car, and tried to answer texts from Marianne as to where I was. But I couldn’t - no coverage! Instead, I drove back up over the side of Mam Tor, pulled in, and sent from there. On 2m FM mobile, my CQ calls were answered by a G0BUB, and a G3CWI, for a natter on the way home.

Definitely up there with the all-time rubbish, disappointing and soul-destroying activations. BUT I STILL GOT SEVEN POINTS - YAY!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Ah Gisborough - lessons on how to make the best of a small tarpaulin - http://live.sotawatch.org/reflector.php?topic=3198#25896 However, as I said in my report, “Included in our logs were contacts with Don G0RQL not bad Devon to the Cleveland Hills using a dipole!”, so apologies Mike, I can’t agree on the bad VHF site label.

Usually I would say that bad weather is the main contributory factor to an activator engendering a dislike for a particular summit, but for me that argument does not hold true in the case of Gisborough. I would be very happy to do that one again - well my alter-ego would. :slight_smile:

It is interesting that Steve cites summits such as Dundry Down and Billinge Hill as being amongst his all-time dislikes. Having activated over 500 uniques, they still stand out for him and from what has been said on the reflector, the dislike appears to be fairly universal amongst activators. To my mind that elevates them in the “worst summit” stakes, certainly far above Gisborough, Swinside, Esgeiriau Gwynion (which I personally enjoyed) and the like.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Hi Gerald,

Looks like we’ll have to agree to disaagree on Gisborough Moor. The triple 5/8 colinear usually makes short work of just about any summit, however, not that day :frowning:

In the end, I made five contacts on 2m Fm and I too worked Don G0RQL in Devon, only it was on the 20m Band, courtesy of Dave G4ASA linked dipole! Go figure :wink:

It had been a long time since I had left any summit with just nine contacts in the log and to say I was disapointed would be an understatement :frowning:

If Hell should ever freeze over and I were to activate Gisborough Moor again, I would probably take Nick G4OOEs route from Hutton Village. When Dave and myself activated it, it was a very wet walk from Commondale.

Rather Ironically, I`ve been invited to give a SOTA talk at the Lincoln Shortwave Club, tomorrow night and sadly I haven’t got too many compliments to pay their local summits ;-)))

Tees to Wash may Have the two easiest summits in the whole of G TW-004 and 5 but you certainly earn your solitary point on the other three.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

It had been a long time since I had left any summit with just nine
contacts in the log and to say I was disappointed would be an
understatement :frowning:

You should try Dundry Down (G/SC-010) on a weekday afternoon, Mike. The last time I activated that summit on 2m FM, it took me 2 hours to raise just 4 QSOs!

Right on the doorstep of a huge city … it beggars belief! I think you have been spoilt by the enormous activity level in IO83 square.
:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Tees to Wash may Have the two easiest summits in the whole of G
TW-004 and 5 but you certainly earn your solitary point on the other
three.

I didn’t think anything could possibly be easier than Ruardean Hill!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Hegdon Hill?

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G8ADD:

Hi Brian,

The only ascent required to activate TW-004 and 5 is climbing back into the car!

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Same as Ruardean, then, so far, but are they in the middle of a village!? :slight_smile:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G3NYY:

Hi Walt,

You should try Dundry Down (G/SC-010) on a weekday afternoon, Mike.
The last time I activated that summit on 2m FM, it took me 2 hours to
raise just 4 QSOs!

I take my hat off to you Sir, for perservering so long. Most Activators would have chucked the towel in well before 2 hours!

Right on the doorstep of a huge city … it beggars belief! I think
you have been spoilt by the enormous activity level in IO83 square.

I was told not to be surprised if I failed qualify G/SE-002 Leith Hill on VHF.

Working with the colinear one Saturday morning, I found no problem qualifying it inside 15 minutes.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

All five of the G/TW summits are very easy from my own recollections. Urra Moor was the longest walk, but only about 45 minutes at a gentle pace IIRC, and no steep ascents, just a “walk in”. Also, despite their distance from civilisations, and low “relative height”, both Jimmy and myself have managed to qualify all five on 2m FM.

I agree with Gerald that events on the day will sour (or indeed enhance) a personal memory. I have always liked Kinder, but after yesterday (see above) it isn’t in the forefront of my affections. Contrastingly, I have happy memories of Gisborough Moor: Gisborough Moor TW-003

Swinside is a lovely hill, and unlike Upper Park, access is consistently granted to those who ask in advance. Jimmy qualified this one exclusively on 2m FM with 8 QSOs. Swinside LD-057

Wild Boar Fell G/NP-007 and Great Gable G/LD-005 struck me as spectacularly beautiful in very different ways - but the weather certainly helped. The former was on a bitterly cold, but crisp mid-winters day, while the latter was in the height of summer with sunshine, blue sky and excellent visibility. Wild Boar Fell NP-007 Great Gable LD-005 On one of our 2012 youth hostelling trips to the Lakes, we were particularly taken with Blake Fell - Blake Fell LD-031

Overall, my favourite and least favourite of each G region:

Central England
F: Bredon Hill G/CE-003 - Good stretch of the legs, nice views and VHF take-off to the north from the summit. Bredon Hill CE-003
LF: Wendover Woods G/CE-005 - is this really a hill? Wendover Woods CE-005

Devon & Cornwall
F: Brown Willy G/DC-003 - even though we got very very wet, still a great route across Dartmoor. Brown Willy DC-002
LF: Carnmenellis G/DC-006 - activating under a transmitter tower, outside someone’s back garden, most ascent routes necessitate getting through thick gorse. Carnmenellis DC-006

Lake District
F: Blake Fell G/LD-031 - a wonderful and varied, curving walk in. Blake Fell LD-031
LF: Pillar G/LD-006 - bad memories! Pillar LD-006

Northern Pennines
F: Wild Boar Fell G/NP-007 - great big summit AZ and pleasant walk. Wild Boar Fell NP-007
LF: Yarlside G/NP-019 - steep grassy slopes with no proper paths. Yarlside NP-019

Scottish Borders
F: Tosson Hill G/SB-007 - Nice walk and a nice summit. Tosson Hill SB-007
LF: Sighty Crag G/SB-005 - as the poem says “a mighty drag”. Sighty Crag SB-005

South Central
F: Selworthy Beacon G/SC-005 - a lovely spot with great views, for only a few seconds walk! Selworthy Beacon SC-005
LF: Dundry Down G/SC-010 - I concur! Dundry Down SC-010

Southern England
F: Brighstone Down G/SE-012 - best of a bad lot! Brighstone Down SE-012
LF: Crowborough G/SE-007 - utterly awful. Crowborough SE-007

Southern Pennines
F: The Cloud G/SP-015 - a brilliant radio spot and great all-round views for a short climb. The Cloud SP-015
LF: Billinge Hill G/SP-017 - don’t particularly like the others that hang around up there, and always apprehensive about leaving my car… Billinge Hill SP-017

Tees to the Wash
F: Cringle Moor-Drake How G/TW-002 - very well maintained path from Lords Stones Cafe, super cairn and shelter at summit. Cringle Moor - Drake Howe TW-002
LF: Normanby Top G/TW-005 - take your pick of 20 fields… Normanby Top TW-005

Welsh Borders
F: Aconbury Hill G/WB-024 - enjoyable woodland approach with nice views through a clearing at the edge of the escarpment near the summit. Aconbury Hill WB-024
LF: Hegdon Hill G/WB-023 - little opportunity for a satisfying walk. Hegdon Hill WB-023

…but ask me again tomorrow, and you’d probably get a completely different set of responses!

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Same as Ruardean, then, so far, but are they in the middle of a
village!? :slight_smile:

Hi Brian,

G/TW-005 Normanby top is in the middle of nowhere. The skyline is dominated by the golf ball radar station and can be seen many miles from the summit. In my opinion this summit must have one of the biggest AZ, if not, the biggest in the country, it`s huge (cue the pedants) :wink:

G/TW-004 Bishops Wilton Wold is close to the village of Fridaythorpe, where a bikers cafe is located. Should you choose to activate this summit on a weekend and have the misfortune to forget you ear defenders, you will suffer noise well above the Health & Safety Taliban`s recommended safe levels. The A166 is treated like a race track by the bikers with some of the superbikes reaching eye watering speeds.

Once again, the AZ is huge. Oddly enough, this summit has produced some great results. Phil G4OBK, knocked off 262 contacts from here on 05/06/2010 and working with the Antron-99, I found a shed load of DX in 2011, although I was not quite so lucky last year.

73 Mike
2E0YYY