G/SP016 - Raw Head

Following the anouncement that Raw Head is no longer classified as a Marilyn, it will be removed from the G association at midnight on August 31 2009.

This should give plenty of time for anyone who wants to activate it.

James M0ZZO

In reply to M0ZZO:

Thanks for that James,

This was my very first summit for SOTA so I will have to get up there in good weather before it is removed. This summit is very close to my heart and is the closest to home QTH.

Last time I went up in a snowdrift, so would be great to do it in sunshine.

Tony

Lovely hill, and a great family walk. Sad to see it go.

Mind you, nothing whatsoever to stop me having another stroll around it whenever I’m next indulging in the carvery at the Bickerton Poacher. I might even put a call out from a “former SOTA summit”.

It will be interesting to see what, if any, other changes are made with the current resurveying programme being conducted by RHB. On the last set, in which SP-016 disappeared and NW-076 was introduced, the number of summits maintaining the status quo significantly outnumbered those for change.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Agreed. By way of a memorial, I just added a couple of photos to the Summits on the Air Photo Pool.

BTW regarding Mynydd y Cwm GW/NW-076, I know it’s been activated several times now but looking at the map, it’s not on CROW land and I don’t see a PROW or any indication of a permissive path into the AZ. Is there a local agreement does anyone know?

Richard

In reply to M0ZZO:
I’m in training to get better and activate it before its demise. I should be able to go up it during August.
Cheers
David M6WOW

In reply to M6WOW:

I’m in training to get better

It’s only 0.5kms and 44m of ascent from the parking space to the trig so it’s hardly a major undertaking. You could probably do it without breaking a sweat even if you still have a pot on your leg and you need crutches :wink:

However, I hope your leg is recovering nicely. If you’re still in plaster and the WX is warm then you have my commiserations as that can be a worse experience than breaking a limb in the first place.

In reply to M1EYP:

Every summit with a prominence from P147 to P153 is questionable until resurveyed accurately. There will probably be many changes over the coming months and years as the RHB guys take their gear out and about.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Tony

Post by M1EYP on 13th June 2009 at 09:12
Lovely hill, and a great family walk. Sad to see it go.

Mind you, nothing whatsoever to stop me having another stroll around it whenever I’m next indulging in the carvery at the Bickerton Poacher. I might even put a call out from a “former SOTA summit”.

It will be interesting to see what, if any, other changes are made with the current resurveying programme being conducted by RHB. On the last set, in which SP-016 disappeared and NW-076 was introduced, the number of summits maintaining the status quo significantly outnumbered those for change.

Tom M1EYP

Post by G4ERP on 13th June 2009 at 10:07
In reply to M1EYP:

Agreed. By way of a memorial, I just added a couple of photos to the Summits on the Air Photo Pool.

BTW regarding Mynydd y Cwm GW/NW-076, I know it’s been activated several times now but looking at the map, it’s not on CROW land and I don’t see a PROW or any indication of a permissive path into the AZ. Is there a local agreement does anyone know?

Richard

Post by M6WOW on 13th June 2009 at 10:53
In reply to M0ZZO:
I’m in training to get better and activate it before its demise. I should be able to go up it during August.
Cheers
David M6WOW

Post by MM0FMF on 13th June 2009 at 11:57
In reply to M6WOW:

I’m in training to get better

It’s only 0.5kms and 44m of ascent from the parking space to the trig so it’s hardly a major undertaking. You could probably do it without breaking a sweat even if you still have a pot on your leg and you need crutches :wink:

The wheel chair could make it with some good skid chains on.73 hope you are soon better Geoff G6MZX

In reply to G6MZX:
Fair point, Geoff. If the surgeon says my leg is fit for full load bearing on 1 July I’ll be up there sooner.

Former summits like Scafell G/LD-002 - can these be still spotted from SOTAWATCH for zero points e.g. Raw Head for Tom walking off the effects of carvery at the Poacher pub? I noticed a German summit spotted this week which is only in the GMA these days. Do former summits still have a Unique value?
David

In reply to M6WOW:

David

I just tried and G/LD-002 can’t be spotted on sotawatch. Not sure why a GMA-only summit can. Can you recall its reference?

I am pretty sure that deleted summits only count as uniques if you have activated them prior to deletion.

Richard
G3CWI

I think the GMA summit was Alerted, rather than Spotted.

Tom M1EYP