One of my favourite summits in the Lake District - and with the weather being foul all week except today I made the most of the day with two activations, my go-to SOTA summit G/LD-050 Gummer’s How and in the afternoon G/LD-027 Place Fell.
I was using the FT-817 5w with 2200 mAH LifePo4 battery in a PowerPort case (carried on the hip) with SOTABeams 10m compact mast and SOTABeams Quad-band linked dipole.
|13:57||2E0UMC||144MHz||FM||OP: Mal QTH: West of Carlisle|
|14:02||G8CPZ/P||144MHz||FM||WOTA: LDO-113 S2S|
|14:36||MM7CGR||7MHz||SSB||OP: Will QTH: Shetland Islands ANT: 40m horizontal delta loop PWR: 10w|
|14:42||G0FVH||7MHz||SSB||OP: David QTH: South Coast|
|14:58||G4WSB||3.5MHz||SSB||OP: Bill. QTH: Swindon|
|15:02||S57S||14MHz||SSB||OP: Alexandra RIG: FT-5000 PWR: 170w|
I will let the photos do the talking - it was wonderful to get back out on the hills again in the Lake District.
Thank you to all the chasers on both summits. Highlights of the Place Fell activation:
- a herd of at least 30 deer - I tried to take photos but no good with a smart phone camera!
- An RAF Hercules dropped over Kirkstone Pass and sunk to low level for a pass over Ulswater.
- HF was working very nicely on 80m, 40m and even 20m with some QSB.
- Amazing 360 degree views as always.
- Questions from folk who already knew most of the answers!
- Not getting wet!