G/HWB-015 HuMPs activation

In reply to G3CWI:

The draft rules are here Walt:

Activators
http://www.summitsbase.org.uk/tiki-index.php?page=HuMPs+Activator+Award
Chasers
http://www.summitsbase.org.uk/tiki-index.php?page=Humps+Chaser+Award

Alas, they are not, Richard. And I still have not managed to find the list of HuMPs References.
:frowning:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

The activator award page was visible this morning. It was then removed from the site shortly after Richard posted a link to it on here. The chaser award page was added by Geoff G4CPS, and was visible earlier this evening, but now that has been removed as well.

As for the HuMPs references, they are still there. If you still cannot find them, then there is a forum on the Summitsbase site. Surely that would be a better place to ask about where the Summitsbase lists are on the Summitsbase site, rather than here on a website for a programme that does not include these summits?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G3NYY:

The HuMPs references play hide and seek with you!

Go via Summits info - none-SOTA summits etc - country - region - summits list, which lists only non-Marilyn HuMPs then click on a summit and the data that comes up includes the reference. I havenā€™t found a list yet.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:

WOW

Just been playing cricket all day so have missed just about everything on here!

Did not think that me exploring a bit of my local area would cause people to get so worked up!

I will delete the info with regards my hump activation if it causes any issues, however my argument is that the WOTA guys put their info on as well, I didnā€™t really think their would be any harm!

If it meant that grown men would act this way then I donā€™t think this reflector is a very nice place to be at the moment! It is odd how worked up people get on here, after all its only a hobby!

Anyway I will be on G/WB-015 Callow Hill tomorrow! If you want the points please feel free to work me, equally if the WX is good I will take a stroll up Diddlebury common, have a play on the radio (7MHz) and come back down, will do me the world of good after 10 overs of bowling and 40 overs of fielding!

73 to you all

Matt

In reply to G8ADD:

Go via Summits info - none-SOTA summits etc - country - region -
summits list, which lists only non-Marilyn HuMPs then click on a
summit and the data that comes up includes the reference. I havenā€™t
found a list yet.

Thanks, Brian.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to M1EYP:
Tom
G4CPS is Mike (BLH), the summitsbase data manager, using the school club callsign.
Geoff is G4CPA.
I noted, when the page was visible, the start date is intended to be 1 June.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G8XYJ:
Hi Matt
I am looking forward to the Humps Award, Iā€™ve activated many already as all SOTA summits are also HuMPs.
Itā€™s up to the SOTA management team to decide what is allowed on this forum but I hope they will continue to allow references to both WOTA and HoTA activations as long as they donā€™t start to take over.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

We permit references to Wainrights and there is no reason why HuMPs (what a singularly ugly name!) shouldnā€™t receive the same courtesy, they are both ways of extending the pleasure of the premier program. Note, however, that without extensive rewrites of the software it will be impossible to post alerts and spots for HuMPs, alerts can go in comments to alerts for SOTA summits, of course.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Just as I thought Brian, That is the obvious downside with HuMPS at present! The lack of alerting makes it tricky!

In terms of any award for them, I have said in the past on the summitsbase forum that I do not care for points on HuMPS, I just want to have walk up some more local hills and see some more of Shropshire. In addition SOTA is about setting yourself personal goals etc! Mine happens to be every SOTA summit on VHF/UHF only! So the HuMPs allow me to have a go on HF for a change.

Anyway the Lipo is on charge so will be leaving in the next 2 hours

73 see you all on Callow!

Matt 2E0XTL - Still waiting on Ofcom!

In reply to G8XYJ:

There are some purists who claim that Alerts and Spots spoil SOTA by reducing the challenge! Obviously there are people who do tune about looking for activations or there would be few Spots, and hopefully they will find you!

Good luck

Brian G8ADD

It is understandable that other schemes such as WOTA and HOTA (or whatever it is going to be called) might develop a degree of reliance on SOTA, for spotting and alerting, in the manner Brian describes above. Or rather, that those schemesā€™ participants might do so.

WOTA, in my opinion, is a seriously impressive scheme in that it is entirely independent, and does not have any reliance on SOTA whatsoever. Julian G4ILO has created the full set of necessary web resources for WOTA - website, scoring tables, message/discussion forum, plus alerting and spotting facilities. Furthermore, these are not ā€œcopiesā€ of the SOTA stuff, but structured and styled specifically for the WOTA programme, which has a different style of activating and different rules.

Three weekends ago, I dabbled with a day of WOTA activating, on the Langdale Pikes Wainwright round. I was impressed with how all the WOTA systems ran on that day, with the alerts and spots, and a very keen bunch of chasers tracking and working us through the day.

Although I would have no objection to the comments field in a SOTA alert mentioning other activities (indeed I did so myself), for an awards scheme to be successful, it needs to stand on its own two feet and have its own dedicated community of participants. WOTA shows the way: http://www.wota.org.uk

I would urge those wishing to discuss the proposed Summitsbase Humps awards to take their discussion to the Summitsbase website discussion forum. Not because it is in any way unwelcome on here, but because, like WOTA, that will be the way for the award to run effectively and be successful. That messageboard is seeing hardly any activity - it doesnā€™t seem fair to it that this topic which has gathered interest and momentum is being held on a different website!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
I by no means ever wanted it to be discussed on here Tom, especially in the manner it was, very spiteful and sarcastic comments are not really the way that gentlemen should do there business on a public website! (Inevitably me writing this comment will only stir it up so I apologise in advance)

All I wanted to do was drum up some potential QSOs! However In the future I will stick to posting on the summitsbase website and have a go out SOTA the old fashioned way, with no spots or alerts!

Matt

In reply to G8XYJ:

Iā€™ve looked up and down and canā€™t see any spiteful or sarcastic comments. Have some posts been deleted?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I read through the thread when I got back from Cornwall yesterday and have followed it since, I see no spiteful remarks and the sarcasm comes under the heading of good-natured joshing. As Moderator I would have no hesitation in removing anything that I found unacceptable and issuing warnings to the perpetrators but here was only a bit of rough-and-tumble fun among friends which is not a problem.

Brian G8ADD