G/HWB-015 HuMPs activation

What is a HuMPs activation? Please forgive my ignorance!

:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

http://www.summitsbase.org.uk/tiki-index.php?page=Summits

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

http://www.summitsbase.org.uk/tiki-index.php?page=Summits

D’oh!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Hey Walt, aren’t you the lucky chap. I’ve yet to work one. Mind you, I get the hump anyway trying to work SOTA summits from over here on VHF! :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

Down here in the nether regions of JO01 I don’t even try to work SOTA on VHF! I suppose I might be able to work the nearest, or maybe even the nearest two or three, on a good day, but most times even the local Net’s tricky from here… :wink:

73, Rick M0LEP

We have 6 Humps on the Isle of Wight …

Robert
G0PEB

In reply to G3NYY:
Hi Walt

Main reason I am doing this is that for all my SOTA summits I want to operate exclusively on VHF and UHF.

However I like the quiet conditions on HF you get from being in the middle of nowhere! As a result I have decided to do some of the HuMPS in the local area! This was to see what /P HF is like and to see more of Shropshire.

HuMPs are hills that only have a prominence of 100 metres! Having said that they still provide challenging walking and decent heights!

SOTA have discussed this issue to death as to whether to include them so I by no means want to bring this up! Mainly for Brian’s Sanity and because from what I have found on the reflector it got boring!

However Walt you are the only other person I know that does HuMPs activations!! I.E. Blorenge, Birdlip Hill etc!

Anyway 73 catch you on the air Sunday

Matt 2E0XTL/G8XYJ

In reply to G8XYJ:

I think I have 220+ HuMP activations to my name.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Interesting stuff, How would I submit a log? How do I find my nearest/local HuMP?

Sean M0GIA

In reply to G8XYJ:

However Walt you are the only other person I know that does HuMPs activations!! >I.E. Blorenge, Birdlip Hill etc!

I never knew before that they were HuMPs ! I wonder if Broadway Hill is one.

Anyway 73 catch you on the air Sunday

Yes, will look out for you, Matt. Enjoy your HuMPing! (Oo-er! I hope that won`t be misconstrued …)

:wink:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:
Just had a look on the Summitbase website and discovered the hill I was on today would qualify for HuMPs - G/HCE-014 Liddington Hill. Never knew of HuMPs until I read this Thread! Only on VHF today, but will bear it mind for future as it’s one of my local hills and has a fantastic take-off.

Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to M6HBS:

(Insert Sarcastic comment here) Wearing thin!! HI

I suppose you can class Marilyns as HuMPs really! However HuMPS fall into their own category purely because of their prominence of 100 metres!

If you want to see them in detail then check this website out

http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/EWRegions/HuMPs.php

Equally Walt you will see that Seven Wells Hill (Broadway Hill) is a HuMP. I’m not sure if there are any plans from the summitsbase team for an awards scheme, you never know if there is enough interest then they may do something HI!

Well worth a look, they can often be incorporated into a dog walk etc! Plus they get you out in the countryside!

Matt

In reply to G8XYJ:

I always look longingly at Brent Knoll G/HSC-002 every time I drive up or down the M5. It is made even worse knowing that Peter G3TJE has that prominence in his back yard. If I lived there, I’d certainly be up there more than I’d be in my home shack… hmmm, having said that and looking at my log, I am indeed up a summit much more than I’m in my home shack! Mind you, it would be nice to have somewhere so close to nip up for the RSGB Activity Contests - my nearest half decent site is 20 miles from home and it’s well past 23:00 local by the time I get home. Even worse if I chose Bardon Hill or Wendover Woods - they’re 50 miles away. :frowning:

Anyone fancy a challenge to get a Summitsbase S2S Award purely for HuMP to HuMP (P100’s that aren’t also P150’s) contacts?

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

For me, work would surely get in the way, but that is a very good challenge Gerald :slight_smile:

Maybe on 160m only as well?

Hi!

:wink:

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to G3NYY:

Hey Walt, aren’t you the lucky chap. I’ve yet to work one. Mind you, I
get the hump anyway trying to work SOTA summits from over here on VHF!
:slight_smile:

The last one I did was Mow Cop (great take-off for GW), a very short drive from my home QTH. Got set up just in time for a Ranger to arrive. Told me I shouldn’t be transmitting from here as it was owned by the National Trust. Although to be fair, he didn’t actually ask me to pack up.

He then went off to have a word with the lads who were having a BBQ… It seems that’s not allowed either :frowning:

The lads were fascinated by my radio, asked loads of questions and then sent me over a couple of delicious bacon rolls!

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G8XYJ:

I’m not sure if there are any plans from the summitsbase team
for an awards scheme, you never know if there is enough interest then
they may do something HI!

They are working on it apparently. I imagine there will be an announcement very soon.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to 2E0YYY:

The last one I did was Mow Cop (great take-off for GW), a very short
drive from my home QTH. Got set up just in time for a Ranger to
arrive. Told me I shouldn’t be transmitting from here as it was owned
by the National Trust. Although to be fair, he didn’t actually ask me
to pack up.

Hi Mike!

I have operated a few times from Mow Cop (in one of the car parks just off the main road). I had no idea it was National Trust property! I know there is a Red Kite viewing area there. Yes, it has a super take-off towards North Wales, Merseyside and the Manchester / Lancashire area.

Never knew it was a HuMP!

I see lots of hills in the list in the N. Glos and Worcs areas - most of which I had never heard of!

Walt (G3NYY)

Where is the list of HuMPs Reference Numbers? (For example G/HWB-015).

Walt (G3NYY)

It is over on the Summitsbase website.

They have their own forum on there for any further queries about their non-SOTA summit awards.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G3NYY:

The draft rules are here Walt:

Activators
http://www.summitsbase.org.uk/tiki-index.php?page=HuMPs+Activator+Award
Chasers
http://www.summitsbase.org.uk/tiki-index.php?page=Humps+Chaser+Award