Fusion DX S2S attempt

Hi Tom

Thanks for the s2s whilst I was on G/LD-010 using C4FM. You were my last contact because weather conditions deteriorated rapidly and it was imperative that we made a hasty descent. Apologies for no HF and the weather conditions forced us to cancel our visit to Seat Sandal…sorry to all the chasers who were waiting. Final summit tomorrow.

73 Allan GW4VPX

Thursday 3rd May 2018 - The Cloud G/SP-015

This was my first SOTA of the year without a coat - either worn or carried. I simply ambled up to the summit without any rucksack, FT70D in one fleece pocket, logbook and pencil in the other.

The main purpose of the activation was to try for the S2S with Allan G4VPX/P, who was expected around this time on St Sunday Crag G/LD-010.

On the ascent I tried to access the SOTA-LINK WIRES-X room on MB6AH Fusion node, Stoke-on-Trent. This was successful, but there wasn’t any activity in the room! The node keeper 2E0YHW heard me though, and came on for a chat, and was my first contact.

Shortly afterwards, Allan G4VPX/P called in with a surprisingly strong signal. I don’t know what antenna Allan had deployed on St Sunday Crag, but I was just using the handheld with its stock rubber duck. Signals were genuine 59 both ways. A very pleasing QSO - easily my best DX on C4FM Fusion.

So only two QSOs for the activation, as I had to rush off for a booked tutoring session in Stoke-on-Trent, but a more-than-satisfying outing nonetheless.

1 Like

RH770 on the hand held FT2D

1 Like

St Sunday Crag seems to get good takeoff to the South, as does Fairfield.

Good job on the contacts, and sorry Allan that you had to abort Seat Sandal.

Mark. M0NOM

Hi Mark

Yes good take off from Saint Sunday Crag. After your storm warning it hit us hard. No HF and the storm continued as we passed the wall that takes you up to Seat Sandal.

Great to get so many in the log on 2m Fusion including yourself with some going mobile to get me. Barry had quite a few 23cms contacts.

Great 5 days apart from yesterday but hey 8 points in the bag for Saint Sunday Crag thanks to the 2m contacts…and a complete for me.

Another 100 miles to go before we reach home…having a cuppa now near Wrexham.

73 Allan GW4VPX

2 Likes