Funny

In reply to DL4CW:
Oh yes.
Fifth of a gill in England and Wales, a quarter of a gill in Scotland.
At least the US gallon is smaller than Imperial. 8 pints like the Imperial gallon, but only 16 fl.oz. to the pint.
Fifth ofa gallon - hic, indeed LOL
73 Graham G4FUJ

In reply to DL4CW:
Bernard, you hit the nail on the head! Why to fritter away that precious liquid? Many out of the paid quantity remains on the wall of the glass… Furthermore why to make that poor bar maid wash so much glasses? This must be the reason, why the Russians drink wodka out of 3 dl (= 0,3 litre) glasses, commonly used in Europe for drinking water or fruit juice… The German people are also far more practical, down-to-Earth people as I saw 2 litre beer jugs both in Thüringia and Bavaria! :slight_smile:

73: Joska

In reply to G4FUJ:
"Fifth of a gill in England and Wales, a quarter of a gill in Scotland. "
wasn`t it 1/5th gill in Scotland & 1/6th gill in England & Wales?

In reply to G1INK:
Hehe, thought it looked wrong Steve!
Not really a spirits drinker…
Mine is either from apples, pears or malt/grain and tends to be a little on the cloudy side!

In reply to G1INK:

wasn`t it 1/5th gill in Scotland & 1/6th gill in England &
Wales?

Certainly was when I worked in a pub in the early seventies, Steve. Technically, according to the Weights and Measures Act 1963 measures of 1/4, 1/5 and 1/6 gill were permitted but you had to have a sign up saying which you were serving. Common practice was 1/5 gill in Scotland and 1/6 in England and Wales.

Isn’t it incredible what useless info collects in one’s mind :wink:

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

I never knew that you could only serve it in those units. I always assumed that the 1/6 gill was just a convenient size and as long as you said how much you could serve what you like. But no, it had to be 1/6, 1/5 or 1/4. Since 1994 it’s been 25ml or 35ml.

Here’s one for the older UK SOTAists… whisky in the UK is sold in 750ml or 1l bottles, just like mainland EU. What size did it use to be sold in? 1pint, 3/4pint or what?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Isn`t the UK standard bottle 700ml?
750ml is usually for the U.S. market.

In reply to G1INK:

I’ve just checked my small “library” of malts and they’re all 70 cl!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to MM0FMF:

What size did it use to be sold in? 1pint, 3/4pint or what?

My old Landlord (long since departed to that great long bar in the sky) told me that you got 32 x 1/6 gill measures out of a bottle, which would make it 1 and 1/3 pints, which is 750ml within a ml or two.

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to all:

Yes, my own collection of bottles of the elixir of life shows 700ml. I’m not sure where I got 750 from. What puzzles me is why 700ml, that sounds like a nearest metric to some imperial size.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4MD:

32 x 1/6 gill … make it 1 and 1/3 pints

!!! First of all, let me state that i have absolutely no problem with people belonging to any nation or religion !!! Unfortunately we have jokes for any case…

Paul, I bet, you do not know the old joke, when Mr. Kohn meets the long beard wise rabbi and asks him for some help solving his big dilemma: how many does 2x2 make? The wise rabbi’s reply after thinking for a while was: "it depends on it, whether are we selling or buying? :-))))

I hope, this note did not hurt anybody.

73: Joska HA5CW

In reply to G4MD:

Spot on Paul. When I worked behind a bar in Birmingham in the 70’s the
standard spirit measure was known as a ‘six out’, or a sixth of a gill.
This equalled as you say, 1 1/3 pints or 26 2/3 fluid ounces, the
standard bottle size for not only spirits but at the time also wines and
indeed pop and squash bottles.

I was given to understand that the standard spirit measure in Scotland
was 1/4 gill.

Kind regards

Dave G0ELJ

In reply to G8ADD and GW7AAV:
Good evening Brian and Steve,

Understood well Brian, and congratulations for this NEW ONE: “boire cul sec”. Hi! I specify by saying that it is: " drink its glass, at one time, but very very quickly ".
Steve, the literal translations are often funny. “Cul de sac” has nothing to do with “Cul sec”. It’s good, as you say it, a dead end.
And what bothers the cyclists, and the cars, in your country has to be called: “speed bump” or “bump”. Here, the exact word is: “ralentisseur” (like speed bump). But we use more frequently the term “dos d’âne”, literally “back of donkey”. :slight_smile:
But, sirs, we go away from the radio.

To end, gentlemen, I wish you a good weekend. And for you Brian, perhaps, 2 others “NEW ONE” (?): “levez le coude” (raise the elbow to drink many, many glasses), and “ne sucez pas de la glace” (don’t suck ice, what means: drink a lot, but not water, :-)). Now, the law obliges us to add: “in moderation” !!!.

More seriously, I hope to find you on the air, in SOTA’s pile-up, with big pleasure.But, sorry, for me: only CW.

Best regards, 73 QRO,
Andy F5AKL