Ft817 or ft818

Back to the original question, I’d say definitely get the current model (818) with up-to-date components and full-length warranty. Worth every penny.

1 Like

Does anyone have an 818 circuit to compare with 817? Pictures of 818 vs 817 PCBs show detailed changes but the may be no more than changing the FM IF demod from an obsolete to new chip. A lot of the detail changes were reported as being to do with RoHS compliance (some components only available for leaded solder use being changed etc.)

1 Like

I’d get a new FT818. That is what I did last July! The -$75-$150 extra over a used unknown radio was worth it to me. Since purchasing I’ve used it on 40ish SOTA activations all on VHF/UHF, The rest have been with my FT60R HT. No observable difference on 2m/70cm between the radios in SOTA applications except audio quality is superior with FT818. The FT818 is of course a 6m radio also. I do try 6m mostly with disappointment but occasionally pick up a QSO.

Grab a Bioenno or Windcamp LiPO(4) battery with the Bioenno 4.5aH (SOTAbeams PowerPole DC adapter makes connections robust) I have conducted 3 activations in a row with plenty of power to spare. I will say that having the Windcamp internal is looking more appealing to me. The Bioenno hanging off the back on less than flat Summits (most of them) could/will cause stress to connectors.

And finally, Make or pickup a RollupJpole coupled with the FT818 it will make a formidable SOTA QSO slayer!!!

FT818 in action. California!

Erik
KE8OKM

3 Likes

I vote for the Windcamp internal, because you can get a replacement battery door to go with it.
That door has a charging socket and a slide switch that is far easier to flick to the off position whilst packing up, compared to the front panel button. Also, my two band J-pole made from ladder line works very, very well.

Elliott, K6EL

4 Likes

I too use the Windcamp battery and have found it to have good life for an activation plus some. A bit more money than the Bioenno 3amp battery - but it does fit in the radio and the switched battery door is indeed a wise feature.

As to the power connector on the 817/818…Yaesu looked at this as portable and used the same as they do on their HT’s. Not a good decision in my not so humble opinion.

Howard KE6MAK

2 Likes

Hear, hear!

I think Yaesu designed a radio that when used as a handbag portable would run on internal batteries and the supplied helical antennas plugged into the front antenna socket. This operation would have been on vhf and uhf.

For other use they included an external dc socket similar to HTs, for both charging and for use with an external power supply. This was probably assumed to be mostly home station use.

But given it was designed in the decade before SOTA was even a glint in certain people’s eyes, it is unlikely Yaesu considered the radio being thrown into a backpack, operated from external batteries while perched on a rock, used for HF dx from snow or in scorching temperatures.

Some problems with the DC connector are due to using the wrong plug. There are several standard sizes, and the sizes that fit the outer diameter aren’t all suitable for making reliable connections with the pin. But Yaesu rigs are not alone with that problem. The exact same issue was occurring with my KX3 which uses a similar DC socket until I got the right connector. And that rig probably wasn’t designed in 1995.

Whatever the plug used, it isn’t designed to carry any weight so if your setup assumes a battery can dangle from the socket reliably, I would suggest reconfiguring it.

I did remove the socket from mine and soldered wires onto the PCB. But this wasn’t an ideal solution so I reinstalled the socket. That’s not a process I would look forward to repeating. I recommend taking great care with that socket.

6 Likes

I am using the Windcamp since 2018. In the maximum it was good for about 2 3/4 h operation with 5 W in SSB on HF. So it is a large improvement for my FT-817 ND.
The weight of the TRX with the accu and the optional CW filter inside and the plastic bag is about 1200 g, IMHO useable.

73 Ludwig

1 Like

I got a 2nd hand 817 about 10 years ago from the guy who bought it new … he lost about 20% on his purchase and its still going strong on my shelf :slight_smile:

If you can get a good one they are well worth it and the extra savings will go towards all the other shiny bit you’ll want :sunglasses:

2 Likes