FT8 Android App fail

My view is to have something “mainstream” that does the heavy lifting (the signal processing) and something simple to display the results. That way you can keep up with the developments of the main programme and only have to display the results. In this case run WSJT-X on a high end Raspberry Pi and use VNC/Wifi to get the PI’s display onto your phone/tablet etc. That way you can have the PI in a box with just a 2 cables, power and radio interface and be able to leave it in your bag. Cables out to the radio, power it up and use you phone to show the results.

It’s great in theory but stymied by the fact you are more likely to find a cure for AIDS than find a well specced PI4 on sale at a sensible price at present. If (it’s a big if) you’re adept at Linux kernel hacking and programming in general you could consider using one of the multitude ARM SBCs that are similar to an RPi such as Odroid, Rock Pi, PineA64 etc. etc. I’ve not checked what availability is like. The usual problem with these is they don’t have the huge RPI community and the Linux ports can leave a lot to be desired. But nothing that isn’t insurmountable should you be skilled in this domain.

So it’s a solution that requires maybe some programming effort.

Or you can look for some kind of x86 SBC and run Linux on that and do the same, run mainstream WSJT-X on the SBC and use the phone/tablet as a VNC terminal. The downside is most x86 boards will suck the bejesus out of the batteries unlike ARM based designs.

Or persevere with Andriod/iPhone implementations. Here you’re at the mercy of how much time the app authors have to improve / fix / keep up with WSJT core changes.

Or carry a laptop of some kind with all their attendant problems.

There is no simple solution. Yet.

1 Like

Yep been there and done the Pi thing. Works well but the battery drain is a killer for me. Looking for that simple effective LIGHT solution that FT8 for Android gives.

1 Like

Not tried a Pi3 or 4 yet. I was going to punt when they became unobtanium. My spotting from anywhere solution uses a Pi B+ and Iridium modem. The modem only uses 100mA from the USB socket to charge a Supercap to power the logic and 1.5GHz TX. I run the Pi from a 3S1P 18650 pack into a noiseless 12V->5V converter. I rolled my own solution before the InReach was announced :wink: But a Pi3 or 4 which has enough doodahs for rapid signal processing is going to suck hard on the battery compared to an old Pi B+.

Supporting the app author looks like the best solution at present.

1 Like

I agree. It does “work” but it has quirks that you need to work around. I believe it’s still a relatively new app and the developer seems quite active so I have high hopes for it. I’ve been able to do 2 activations with it. While I’d much prefer WSJT-X it is a trade off not having to bring my old laptop bulky laptop up a summit.

Ordered a (tr)uSDX and want to attempt an activation with it and the FT8 Radio app for a very small compact setup.

1 Like

Hi this is exactly what I am doing or trying to do. I have a Tr usdx and an QDX. All you need them is an old Android phone. Forget the other junk.
In have high hopes that developer continues the fine work he has begun. Without us trying it and feeding back issues it won’t get better.
From home were I don’t need the prefix it works well or we’ll enough. Yes its no replacement for wsjtx and the developer states some limitations but I’m willing to go with it for the simplest solution available.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear, keep me posted on your progress would love to hear about it.

I emailed the developer after I played with it for a few days and he is very friendly and helpful so I’m sure he’d appreciate any constructive feedback. You’re right, it won’t get better if we don’t provide feedback.

I’ll have to try PSKDroid. I have never done any psk31 but this might get me interested.

1 Like

PSKdroid works very well and something I have used for years, however not till recently. Now using it with the tr usdx and vox control. No issues at all.

2 Likes