Frustration in Alto Adige I/AA-xxx

Today i realized, that i’m no longer registered as activator of two activated summits in Italy, Alto Adige furthermore as first activator of “Monte Pez” i activated on 11.Oct.2012. Why? Years before, summits in I/AA had other codes. Concrete example for my activations: today, I/AA-153 was I/AA-317 and I/AA193 was I/AA-303. Disapointing for me because, i activated summits and not there codes which no changed. So i activatedMonte Pez” as first activator and “Monte Bullaccia” or had i to go again to this summits? It’s not a stimulation for SOTA activations for me, if the Codes are changeing and all the activators are no longer recorded.
Positive, the loges and also the “activator uniques table” are not affected.
Peter/HB9CMI

Resubmit your logs for the new numbers?

Hi,
I think Peter’s complaint is justified and while resubmitting the logs with the new summit references might be a workaround, I think that a proper MT decision and proposal is better - imagine if there were S2S contacts - one could argue that the REF of the summit was or was not exchanged etc.

Personally I think REFs should never be changed. That is a best practice for all identifier / coding systems; everything else will just lead to trouble.

73 de Martin, DK3IT

Solutions are always easy to people who A) don’t know all the issues and B) are not going to be doing the work.

Having analysed the impact when we got a sensible set of summits for Italy we decided we’d fix these kind of lost summit issues when they were indicated to us. We fixed the errors to 1200 Italian summits in the DB and extended it 3600 summits. All now at the right location (the top) not by a cafe or car park or monument and lots of summits for the less capable and most capable of walkers climbers. We now have plenty of Italian activators and chasers taking part when before there were very few. So the cost of breaking a few peoples logs compared to the benefit to all was seen as the best way forward.

If my logs/records etc. changed I would contact the MT and report the issue. Hopefully they would fix it for me or tell me how to fix it. Then everything would be as it was. But if someone decides to publicly state that because they have lost “first activated” status for 2 summits that it has turned them off SOTA then don’t be too surprised if some people think they may be acting a bit precious.

The problem is fixable and a quick message to the MT would have been the starting point.

To amplify this a little: the original Italian summit list that was provided to us turned out to be full of problems, ranging from summit positions that plotted into the middle of valleys to summits that were given positions that were actually well outside the Italian border! Some were actually subsidiary summits with insufficient prominence, some positions were halfway up a mountain, some of the heights were way out, there were problems with the names - in fact there was something wrong with so many summits that the only sensible solution was to throw away the whole list and start again. This of course leads to problems with the early activations on the first list, we could have gone through the database and correct the entries to the new summit references BUT…with so many positional errors how would we know that the correct summit had been activated? Better to sort it out on an individual basis with the activators, that way we can be sure that the real summit was activated, and not a phantom summit.

Hi Peter,
I totally understand you frustration and confusion. Back in 2011 I think, when I still was living in Italy, I activated a summit in my region. That was the very first Italian SOTA activation and I was pretty proud of that. Unfortunately, with the new summits list this summit has been deleted as it didn’t comply with the P150 rule and, before of that the reference was changed so the logs were lost.

On the happy side, SOTA MT made a huge re-work of the original poorly compiled summits list and from now on we can rely on a stable list of references that will serve us for the coming years without major changes.

I hope you still have your 2012 logs so that you can upload them again. As I said I see your frustration but hopefully this won’t happen again in the future.

Keep activating Italian summits! :slight_smile:

73s Gab - IZ1KSW/EA7JUG

1 Like