Forward Planning in the decades ahead

Upcoming activations:

3 Likes

7x fat finger errors
3x people who don’t know their months from the days error.

The 32bit software world ends at 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038 when 32bit time_t values overflow.

1 Like

All users make mistakes from time to time, it’s inevitable. It’s a simple matter to write a short piece of code which rejects unlikely dates input by the user, and examples like these would no longer appear in the lists.

It’s just a question of how willing the programmer is to expend energy and time on writing, testing and then implementing the code.

2 Likes

People actually uses FT8 for SOTA? Is this common?

Yes.

Juerg Regli HB9BIN gave a presentation on using FT8 successfully from a summit at Ham Radio Friedrichshafen in June. As a chaser I have worked just the one station on FT8, this was F5LKW/P, sent -20 received -14, on the 6m band on 28/06/2018.

FT8 is a controversial mode but is another “string to your bow” like it or not. CW is preferred at my station but I will use any mode if needs must to chase more summits.

73 Phil

I’m doing quite a lot of FT8 SOTA activations at present. It is fun and interesting, especially on 6m, but CW remains far superior as an efficient portable mode.