Forthcoming GM activations

I thought I’d post a brief note about some forthcoming activations I have planned. There’s still some fluidity in my planning so this isn’t the definitive list yet apart from SS-049. The main activity comes mid-August with 5 days of activations planned. The important word there is planned as a lot will depend on the weather and how well my legs hold up. I started serious SOTA activity at the start of the Winter bonus period in December 2006 and I’ve tried to get out every weekend since. As a professional lardy and idle bloke this has been a major change in lifestyle. So now with some 40 activations behind me I’ll see if I can do some sustained big stuff. Well the only way to find out is to have a go…

Sat 21st July, SS-049 Culter Fell with XYL. (Changed from White Coomb SS-030)
Sat 4th Aug, SS-030 White Coomb with XYL.
Mon 13th Aug, CS-001 Ben Lawers
Tue 14th Aug, ES-012 Glas Maol (see below)
Wed 15th Aug, SS-011 Ben Lomond
Thu 16th Aug, CS-015 Meall nan Tarmachan
Fri 17th Aug, SS-039 Auchnafree Hill
Fri 17th Aug, SS-015 Ben Chonzie

I noticed that the drive to Glas Maol means I’ll pass very close to Mount Blair ES-035. The tight-fisted ham in me is reluctant to spend money on fuel to drive all the way to Glas Maol, especially at 30mpg and not attempt the quick 45mins it would take to climb Mount Blair, especially as it could take place around activity time on a Tuesday night. However, I don’t want spoil a week of fun and games by being greedy at the start. I’ll decide when I’m down from Glas Maol.

Finally, not SOTA but a possible IOTA. With good weather I’ll be on Staffa and Lunga with Sarah on Aug 3rd. I haven’t decided whether I’ll take any radio gear with me. This might just be a chance to enjoy the beauty of the fauna and flora of the Scottish Islands without rushing to squeeze radio contacts in. There again, it’s very tempting to put them on the air. I wont know till nearer the time but I’ll advise if I do take the 817 with me.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Should be back off holiday for the bulk of those activations so look forward to working you on your tour of GM

73 Glyn GM4CFS

In reply to MM0FMF:
Look forward to hopefully working you again Andy. On your trip and like you ive done the easy ones here in Fife & have now to try some worth a few points also work out the logistics of where iam going as i dont drive so having to make do with public transport (hi hi)but we have the Hovercraft in Fife at the momment running from Kirkcaldy to Portabello every 15mins so maybe take a trip over the forth and head for the lammermuirs and around there who knows where yet as like most we are awaiting the weather forcast

will be on the summit of Normans Law GM/SS-262 this weekend as its my last Fife summit to do (Weather permitting)

all the best Andy in you trip and will look out for you (will spot you if heard)

Many thanks Gordon MM3XGP

In reply to MM0FMF:

Quote"…I noticed that the drive to Glas Maol means I’ll pass very close to Mount Blair ES-035. The tight-fisted ham in me is reluctant to spend money on fuel to drive all the way to Glas Maol, especially at 30mpg and not attempt the quick 45mins it would take to climb Mount Blair, especially as it could take place around activity time on a Tuesday night…"

Andy,

Mount Blair is THE most boring hill I’ve seen more interesting hills on the South Downs!! Why not go further up the glen and do one of the others, there a four SOTA summits in this area plus other more interesting ones nearby to Glas Maol.

Barry GM4TOE

As Victor Meldrew used to say on the telly… “I don’t believe it.”

So I have the week off work and I’m all on my own as the rest of the family are elsewhere, ideal for playing SOTA.

So what happens, well for a start the weather is really pants. A big low is going to move across the UK bringing really heavy rain and strong winds. Looking out this morning it’s regular very heavy showers and the clouds are almost touching the ground. There’s a hefty breeze too. If it’s this windy at 175m ASL here then it’ll be seriously windy on the summits, which is what the mwis.org.uk forecast is saying.

Yesterday I went for a quick 20 odd miles on the bike to warm up. No problems and even though it rained a bit it was a good ride. So last night I got up to make a brew and could hardly wark due to pains in my heel, no idea what that is and when I got up this moring I managed to stub my toe which now aches considerably. Heel and toe pains!

So all those events have conspired to make a 170mile drive and walk not look the best plan. I know as soon as I hit send then the rain will stop and the sun will come out and all the cloud will lift. The forecast looks fairly grim for the rest of the week… I’m seriously considering going back into work and taking a break later.

:frowning:

Andy
MM0FMF