“Flavours” Challenge- discussion 2

I’m not a great one for contests myself, but we do get occasional requests for a contest. So far we have refused it for safety reasons, on the basis that it might tempt people into activating in unsuitable weather or stay on the summit longer than is wise. I can think of several ways around this but I suspect that most sotari would not like the idea of a contest.

2 Likes

Really enjoyed the last seven days in the DV favour. Lots of chasers worked on C4FM, several S2S and quite a few people “met” on air for the first time too.

Going back to an earlier question - possibly from Andy @mm0fmf - about the relative merits of C4FM as a SOTA mode, in comparison to analogue FM. Well, probably nothing surprising or new here, but there were definitely cases of where a mediocre 55 with background noise FM signal, became a 59 fully quietening signal when the mode was changed to C4FM. Likewise, there were instances of a mediocre FM signal turning into a “nothing heard” when C4FM was then attempted. Pleasingly, the significant majority of occasions matched the former rather than the latter.

I think Keith @G0OXV_2 and Phil @G4OBK may be able to provide some further interesting observations from the perspective of chasers using the C4FM digital voice mode.

Last night I sat out in the cold and rain on The Cloud G/SP-015 for an hour or so for the last night of the DV flavour. I think I made 7 C4FM QSOs, and a similar number on analogue FM. Of those 7 DV contacts, 5 (or possibly 6) were with stations I had already worked in the 2020 Challenge, so won’t progress my score, though it was still a pleasure to chat - especially to old SOTA friend Keith G0OXV who I have really enjoyed catching up with over the past few days. One or two brand new calls on C4FM - so very pleased with those.

Now looking forward to the LF flavour at the start of November. I’ll probably do a few 80m activations ahead of then to get some practice in - and as a part of my Bandhopper 4 linked dipole needs a minor repair. This is what I was talking about up the thread - that the Challenge, for me at least, has influenced choice of activating bands and modes outside of the Flavour dates too.

1 Like

The Flavours Challenge has encouraged me to update the firmware in my FT70Ds. Both now on v1.11. They were easy to do unlike the FT2DR which was dreadful and left a nasty taste in my mouth.

You’re not supposed to lick the touchscreen.

5 Likes

That’s another approach to the DV flavour challenge…

Thanks for the nudge, though, it hadn’t occured to me to check for a firmware update to the FT70D.

I’ve nothing against contests so long as I’m not expected to participate.

After the previous two challenges certificates were available to a select few top-scorers. For the 12 Metre Challenge, there was this (quoted from the SOTA News for August 2014):

…and for the 6 metres challenge there was this (from the challenge announcement):

…both of which imply that there are winners, and certainly made those two challenges seem like competitions to me. I may be jumping to conclusions, but I just assumed the same would apply to this one.

Its like a major marathon, there will be placings, but most people will take part for the sake of the challenge - though I doubt that there will be many fancy dress activations. :grinning: If you want a competition, compete. If you want a challenge, participate. Live and let live.

1 Like

Well the Flavours are having a good influence on me at least. I went out for an activation this morning, and already my mind was focused on next months LF flavour.

Yesterday when I got in from work, I fired up the soldering iron and repaired the broken bit of my linked dipole. Happy to report that this highly complicated and technical repair proved successful, and allowed me to have an enjoyable activation on 80m.

80m FT8: 10
80m CW: 8

I was then going to do SSB but the XYL phoned me with some “advice” that it would be sensible for me to return immediately home with the contents of a shopping list.

Sorry to any phone ops - the microphone was plugged in and everything, honest…

1 Like

Curses! Foiled again!

(With apologies to “Hiss the Villain” by Cossons and Taylor!)

1 Like

Thanks for todays early morning activation on 80m CW/FT8, a pleasant change to get a QSO in the log before my breakfast. The relaxed pose in the photo noted (crossed legs)…

73 Phil G4OBK

1 Like

Many thanks for both CW and SSB on 80m, SOTA chased before the kettle had boiled :slight_smile:
Decc

1 Like

Not necessarily if you find me cross-legged during an activation it’s usually because I’m bursting for a leak in the middle of a pile-up and hence far from relaxed :-s

2 Likes

Decc - you mean FT8? I was summoned home before I had chance to do SSB!

I wasn’t quite awake enough to catch you on 80 metres CW yesterday. I’d guess you and I would be pretty much at opposite ends of the “enjoys competition” scale. :wink: I’ve never ever been even slightly tempted to enter anything like a major marathon, cycle run or mass hike, either. If it involves being given a number, I’ll not be there. :cat: I do, however, find the rules of radio competitions a source of considerable fascination, and more than occasional mind-bogglement (like, for example, the Fox Mike Hotel POC, which includes some particularly fascinating scoring complications). :face_with_monocle:

Every day I check the Alerts for 80m activations so that I can give reports to people preparing for the challenge. I look for 160m, too, but more out of duty than in expectation - come on, guys, John using GX0OOO/P has shown that it is practicable, give it a try!

Weather permitting I will be using the 160m coils again in November. Catch you then, Brian.
Thanks for 80m and 60m QSOs yesterday. I was surprised at how well 80m was doing mid afternoon.
Rod

It’s not a competition. It’s a Challenge. Just a motivation to use bands and modes on SOTA activations that you might not normally consider. Hopefully adds a bit of variety and interest for the chasers, increases activity with activators revisiting summits they might not bother with a second time otherwise, and gives a push for post-MG activators to stay active in the programme.

YMMV - as they say.

I’ve alerted for wednesday 4th Nov at 16:30 on 160m, g/wb-005. Hoping to be there for an hour or so through sunset.

If successful, this will be my second 160m activation, the first was during the solar eclipse a few years ago. I still have the full size dipole that I made then, so it may as well have an airing.

(5W from FT817)

2 Likes

I’ll certainly have the cans on for you Adrian - will be listening out…
73 Phil

1 Like

Same here. I listened out for Rod M0JLA today on top Band but heard nothing. A later activation might be better, that’s about the time the band starts to stir to life.

1 Like