Fitness (or lack of it !)

In reply to M0RSF:

The start of my problems followed very similar lines.

For what is worth, don’t delay, go and see a good physiotherapist and do EXACTLY what they tell you to do. After 18 months of witch doctors and other quacks messing about with my back (plus swallowing psychotropic drugs by the handful) none of which worked, the physio got me walking properly again within 5 weeks - not a cure but enough relief to get my life back.

YMMV as they say - but you have my total sympathy.

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:

Whoever says YMMV, and what does it mean?

73 de Les, GV3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:

Your mileage may vary? Probably American English.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to F5VGL:

Thanks Jaakko. It still doesn’t seem to make sense in this context, but that’s American English for you!

73 de Les, GV3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:

It comes originaly from consumer reviews and reports on cars and the fuel consumption starting with the 1973 fuel crisis. Yes it is an American expression and arose in that claimed mpg figures were often not obtained in real world conditions. But it’s been applied to anything to mean “it works for me and I’m happy with the results but you may find otherwise” for at least the last 15 years in the UK. Especially in tech matters.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Thanks Andy.

I’m really not up-to-speed with these strange abbreviations and acronyms. I’ve only just discovered that LOL doesn’t mean Little Old Lady. It made for some interesting reading though!

73 de Les, GV3VQO

In reply to G3CWI:

A heavy face - never heard that one before! :slight_smile:

So your face weighs nothing then Richard? No muscles at all? No facial expressions? Ah, perhaps not until someone mentions 10GHz SOTA. :wink:

BTW, give it a few months and then get yourself back up Roan Fell GM/SS-132 with the bike - the road is being extended to the summit proper.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to Barry GM4TOE,

Thanks Barry, the pain in my right leg leaves me unable to walk sometimes. A good days rest usually sorts it but the doctor says that’s the worst thing I can do.

I put it down to being a PCV driver for 18 years. I didn’t drive the nice new buses and coaches that are about nowadays, automatic and almost drive themselves. I drove some right sheds that every bump went through the base of my spine. Doctor said that anyone driving for that length of time would have back trouble. For the last 5 years I have worked as a driving instructor so again most of my day is sat on my backside. Not good in the long run.

73 Chris M0RSF

In reply to M0RSF:

Now, what’s odd is when I’m out on my mountain bike I can go for miles
without pain at all?

It’s not the muscles, Chris. Pinched nerve in your lower back, it is. Why not when you are on a bicycle? Look at the way your lumbar spine is curved during that activity and more “lordotic” when you are upright. The aggressive cure is a laminectomy while the recommended cure is what Barry says…physiotherapy for five weeks.

Elliott, K6EL
Folk Med Guy

In reply to K6ILM:

That’s what the doctor says. Trapped nerve in my back. Confused me how the pain affects my right leg so much. Some people moan at the slightest thing, I’m not one of them and I just get on with life.

73 Chris M0RSF

In reply to M0RSF:

Chris, I have a similar problem with 2 trapped nerves which severely affect my left leg, allegedly the result of spinal compression from a serious accident 14 years ago. I suffered for about 7 years, had 2 MRI scans, was offered surgery with 40% chance of success (which I refused) then my new GP prescribed Pregabalin (Lyrica), all I can say is WOW what a relief. After 7 years of use with no obvious (or known) side effects I am pain free, if I occasionally forget to take a capsule I know within a few hours because I feel the tingling start in my left thigh. I generally don’t like taking drugs but for me this works so I guess I’m going to continue until, or if, a better solution is found.

Victor GI4ONL

In reply to GI4ONL:

I can understand you refusing surgery with 40% chance of success. The doctor says I could have another attack next week, next month, or next year, it’s unpredictable. I went for a second opinion because I was convinced it was my right leg and not my back. I live a normal life, go shopping, take the dogs on the park, go geocaching etc etc. Mountain biking doesn’t bother it at all. Only thing that does is a long walk. I refuse to throw the towel in though and I still do the odd summit or two.

73 Chris M0RSF

In reply to M0RSF:

I was struck by sciatica last year. I felt a gradual pain appear in the base of my back whilst at work one day. My daily activity as a repairer involves the lifting of cellular telephone mast diplexer units, which weigh around 13kg each, on to my bench for repair and then moving them to a shelf for storage until a colleague can run an automated final test on the repaired item.

I wasn’t lifting anything at the time my pain appeared, but the pain got worse over a few hours. Within days my right leg had become very painful. I was seen by my GP who diagnosed sciatica and prescribed Co-Codomol in conjunction with regular exercise.

I was unable to do SOTA for a while but over time my syptoms got steadily better. I found that exercise is definately the way to go. I was left for quite a while with pain just above my right ankle and a strange feeing in my toes. I’m happy to say that I rarely suffer anything these days except cramp in my right calf almost every morning. I have to jump out of bed and put my foot flat on the floor, this is almost an instant cure for the pain.

BTW I’m 34! :=O

73, Colin
M1BUU