Favourite SOTA Picture Part 1

While I was out on Sunday, I took some pictures of my setup as the sun was rising and setting. I’m no photographer, but I was rather pleased with how they turned out and it got me thinking…

What’s your favourite SOTA picture?

It could be your equipment out on the hills, maybe a selfie with the trigpoint or even your own shack after a Spring Clean - the only requirement is that it was during SOTA activity. Dig up your top shot, give it a fun title and brief description and let’s see what happens!

Here’re mine:

The Titterstone Twilight
Watching the sunrise on Titterstone Clee Hill (G/WB-004).

A Corndon Sunset
John @M0VCM activating Corndon Hill (GW/MW-013) as the sun goes down.

27 Likes

Most like this one here:
First activation of OE/KT-293 Mittleres Schwarzhorn

or just recently on a snowshoe hike to OE/OO-056 Erlakogel

26 Likes

18 Likes

If we’re playing guess the location Andy - Ailsa Craig?

1 Like

I’ll go with this one because:

or maybe even

GM/NS-134 (because no-one else has done it :smirk:)

16 Likes

21 Likes

Here’s mine from 14,265 ft (4349m) in Colorado!

73, Brad
WA6MM

21 Likes

One of my favorite photos: cows are so curious! Taken on Fronalpstock, HB/SZ-018.

– Paul HB9DST

23 Likes

December 2006. Photo I took from Fountains Fell of the Three peaks of Yorkshire during a cloud inversion.

73 Chris M0RSF

20 Likes

Nice pics Jordan :slight_smile:

Is your antenna an SB3? Looks about as battered as mine but still works a treat :rofl:

10 Likes

My uncle was posted to that radar station when
he was in the RAF… I must get there sometime!

Hello SOTA Community.

Here are two of my favourite photos during the DARC 10m Contest 2019 on DM/BW-009 Kandel. It was cold and windy… brrr :slight_smile:

73 de Marcel DM3FAM

10 Likes

Hi John,

That pic was taken at the end of May, 2007 about a year after the RAF closed the radar station. Dismantling was in progress then, and the buildings in front of the radome have been removed. Recently (2018) a new smaller radome has been built within the base of the old one in the picture and RAF Saxa Vord now operates again as a remote radar station.

I’m sure when I contacted him while I was activating the hill Phil G4OBK said he’d been stationed there.

Not sure how close they let you get now…

73 de Paul G4MD

Paul went when access was almost free. I went in August 2017 and was nearly arrested. There’s a big super QRO RADAR back there now.

Marcel remembers me of this one here: Edelsberg, DL/AL-163. Fog, snow and that much peace, 2 years ago. (7 minutes of snow this winter only so far in Lucerne.)

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

12 Likes

I’m with you Paul - you have to love the cows on activations - this is Ammerleite DL/AM-178

A rather special Holy Cross on Ammerleite - with its glass “jewel” in the middle of the cross:

73 Ed.

11 Likes

On DL/BG-087 in late November 2014:

73 Andy DK7MG

10 Likes

This has to be my all time favourite SOTA picture of me almost at the top of EI/IN-001 Taken by my good friend, the other Victor, MI0JST

73 Victor Gi4ONL

26 Likes

Me on ZL3/MB-093 for launch of ZL3 association with Warren @ZL2AJ. Photo credit to Warren’s wife Emma. That’s the North Island off in the distance, and I’m pretty certain I’m working Wynne @ZL2ATH S2S here.

Me on Houraisan (JA/SI-006) last year. A favourite because of the view over Lake Biwa and the soaring eagles visible if you zoom in. The view was especially well received as the summit was completed enclosed with cloud as we ascended:

7 Likes