Family Outing

Hi All

As the weather for tomorrow is set to be far too good to spend the day doing the constructive and useful things I should be doing at home, I’m planning a gentle family expedition taking in an easy hill - Stingwern GW/MW-030 - followed by a visit to Powis Castle.

As my 11 year old daughter has recently miraculously started showing an interest in Amateur Radio and SOTA, to foster her enthusiasm I’m hoping to take her up the hill with me and show her the niceties of setting up a station and operating on a summit, and give her the opportunity to try it for “real” by passing a message or two to a couple of friendly chasers, if any of you would be up for it.

Hope to catch a few of you tomorrow morning!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

Well I’ll be listening for you Paul, hi. I’m sure you and your family will have a lovely time at Powis castle, I used to fish the estate lake for pike some years ago and have many fond memories of the experience. If you visit the estate office could you possibly make some enquiries as to the current availability of the pike fishing in the lake? If it’s still available I think a summit activation accompanied by an afternoons fishing may be the order of the day.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Thanks Mike, I’ll see what I can find out about the pike fishing! Note I’ve moved the alerted time back by an houre to 1030z - family a bit slow to emerge this morning…

Look forward to catching you later

73 de Paul G4MD

Hi All

An absolutely brilliant day out! Once the slow start was factored in, the day went perfectly and to schedule. Thanks to everyone who called us on MW-030 (far too many to list but you know who you are!) and particularly to John 'BVE for his forebearance and encouragement when my daughter tried the mic for the first time. She is now adept at erecting and dismantling a 3 ele SOTAbeam, and is so keen we are planning a “joint activation” of Moel y Golfa in the near future - she was very taken with it as we drove past on the way home this evening. She’s obviously inherited my masochistic tendencies!

Looking forward to the day when a new M3 _ _ _ hits the airwaves! (Even if it does mean we’ll be fighting over the 817’s)

73 de Paul G4MD and Roxy

Hi All

Roxy’s still keen so weather permitting we’re going to try for Moel y Golfa MW-027 tomorrow. It’ll be the first time she’s tackled a hill on this scale, so time may be very approx. - we’re aiming for 1130z

Hope to work some of you tomorrow

73 de Paul G4MD and Roxy

GL Paul. Liam was only 6 when I first did this one, and it took me quite by surprise that it just kept going up and up, …and up! We got there in the end. The views from the top are great - when you get there. Plenty of chocolate-based bribes for the ascent might be useful.

In reply to M1EYP:

Thanks Tom, as you say it keeps going up and up - I think it’s imposing profile is what attracted Roxy. Reckon if she can tackle that with good heart she’s ready for almost anything!

Chocolate seems to be the universal currency for children - her first question wasn’t how far is it to walk or how long will it take, but how many bars of Dairy Milk will we be taking…

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:
Watch out for the pony - if its still there - it tried to take my sandwiches and I’m sure it would like chocolate :-).
Great hill with a lovely little scramble which looks impossible until you get right up to it.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

Hi Roger,

Unfortunately no sign of the pony, only evidence of it’s recent presence!

It was indeed a wonderful hill, Roxy swarmed up it like she’d been doing it for years - no need for bribery, just a short break about half way up for a drink and a lesson on mapreading and using the compass!

And the best bit - she asked on the way down when we’re going to do the next one!

Have fun on Arran,

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

Hi Paul

Nice to catch you on yet another summit. It sounds like Roxy is enjoying your outings too. I wonder who the rest stop half way was for? hi. Let’s hope we have a potential M3 activator in Roxy.

73 Paul and Roxy

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi Mike, Good to work you too. Roxy is loving it, let’s say rest breaks are by mutual agreement!

I have great hopes that she will see it through and get her M3 before too long, if she doesn’t it won’t be for the want of encouragement!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

Some info re Powis Castle Estate Office for you Paul, I hope it is helpful.

Contact Address:
Powis Castle Estate Office
Welshpool
Powys
SY21 8RG

Tel: 01938 552554
Fax: 01983 556617

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Many thanks for the info Mike.

Roxy is as keen as ever, she is off school tomorrow for an inset day, and I have another day off work so we’re out on our travels again - a more gentle stroll up Y Golfa this time!

Looking forward to working a few of you again

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:
Nice to catch you on yet another summit.

73 Barry M3PXW (the whippet)

In reply to M3PXW:

Nice to catch you too Barry, you are becoming a very valued “regular”!

We had a wonderful expedition today, weather was perfect - bright and fresh, although quite a chilly breeze at the summit. Excellent views, shame it was not this clear for Moel y Golfa on Friday.

Roxy stormed up this one, 25 minutes up 15 minutes down - she really is getting the hang of this walking lark. And she’s asked if we can try a bigger one next time. Never ceases to amaze me!

Radio-wise, a slow start had me worried, 20 minutes of calling for one contact - a new one for me, Steve GW0VFF in Neath. But then Graham 'JZF found me and spotted me (many thanks Graham) and a quick run of regulars put the summit in the bag - besides Barry, thanks to 'DSP, 'HJD, GW1LDY, 'RQL, 'AAV and to round it off G6LKB from Ulverston. Not a bad showing for a weekday on 2m sideband!

Spent the evening giving Roxy tutorials on Ohms Law and for light relief Licensing Conditions - she seems to be lapping it up!

Unfortunately school and work are going to get in the way of our expeditions for a while, but I’ve got a feeling it won’t be too long before we’re out on the hills again. Look forward to catching you all again soon.

73 de Paul G4MD and Roxy