F5AKL to all about "/P"

Hi to all,

I don’t be a good english “speaker” like my daughter. Sorry !
In my answer to F6ENO, last Reflector, I said that:
"In a pile-up, when you hear “/ P”, please, be quiet: because it is certainly an other SOTA who call !
I think the better of SOTA is when a summit call an other summit !
OK ? So, next time, when you heard “/P” in the pile-up, wait !!!
In french, we said: “On prendra bien le temps de mourir !”.
I let you the time to translate that. Hi!
73 QRO to all,
Andy, F5AKL

In reply to F5AKL:

Hi Andy,

I am not sure if this will realy work, there are always some
chasers with bad manners.
What I do, when I contact the activator, I tell him
pse lsn for xxXxx/p.

gl es cu, Heinz, DL7RAG

An activator should be able to hear the weaker signal of a caller, no matter if /P or not, even though there are stronger ones calling. For obvious reasons, this might not be possible during the first 10min of activation.

On the other hand, the weaker caller should be able to adapt to the operating style of the activator.

If the activator cannot hear anything or barely hears anything of the caller, there’s no reason for others to “help” by giving the callsign of the caller.

For myself, this will result in not working that caller, even though I then “know” the callsign of the caller. Either I can copy the callsign by myself or there won’t be anything logged.

73 Norby

In reply to F5AKL:

In french, we said: “On prendra bien le temps de mourir !”.

Surtout qu’à nos âges, on n’est pas pressés…

73 QRO Alain

"In a pile-up, when you hear “/ P”, please, be quiet: because it is
certainly an other SOTA who call !

Not always. I have operated from a WAB square and called /P. If I am trying to work S-to-S I would always add /P SOTA, or /P Summit to Summit. This is using ssb. How could this be done on CW?

Regards, Dave, M0DFA/G6DTN

-…-. .–. is usually sufficient to become the focus of the other activator on CW. As you say, you will not necessarily be a summit station, but it’s highly probable.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Rightly or wrongly, I generally find “S2S” does help attract the attention of the activator on frequency, both in CW and SSB. This queue-jumping technique has always been accepted by the chasers on frequency with good grace and moving off to establish my own frequency I generally find I take at least part of the pile up with me. It is a very useful way to start an activation.

73, Gerald

In reply to F5AKL:
About a year ago I suggested that we borrowed QSS which is unallocated for summit to summit activation alerts in pile-ups but no one liked the idea except me :slight_smile:
Rob
G4RQJ
Please excuse the English, my written French is not up to it.

In reply to G4RQJ:

Sounds good to me, Rob!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to all:

Thanks to all for your comments.
For me, it was only a simple little idea, not a “coup d’état”. Hi !
I’ve made many contests. To be quick is necessary. But, out that, I like quietness.
I repeat: “On prendra bien le temps de mourir”. In english: “We shall well take time to die”. Hi !
Only life is important. The rest is unimportant.

See you later with pleasure, on, or from, summits.
73 QRO,
Andy F5AKL