Suprisingly light traffic all the way from Wigan to Anglesey so arrived on summit about 10am (local). Carrying so much gear meant even the easy ascent had me puffing a little and Peter M1BZJ also carrying similar weight. Weather started off a little overcast and cool, but by noon the sun was out and stayed out the rest of the day. Hastily purchased sun cream at the petrol station was a godsend.
7 hours on summit . Due to the relaxed nature of the activation we didn’t use the spot system. Partially as we didn’t want to get tied down to one particular spot for too long and also the satellite ops required precise timings and didn’t want to miss a pass.
A couple of antennas were constructed on summit with varying degrees of success (dipole - bad, EF wire - good). The other antennas used were pre-tested in the garden at home.
2m and 70cm SSB were very quiet. 1 Qso on each with Peter MW0PJE/P on GW/NW-043 providing both. We could hear Peter working several on 2 ssb but could only hear both sides of the conversation a couple of time.
10m and 6, were very quiet. Even the proven 10m vertical yielded very little. Could hear FT8 on 6m but nothing in the SSB portion.
20m and 40m were the bread and butter of the activation, with lots of qso. Finding a clear spot on 40 was difficult at times, but managed a few times to call CQ. Scanning the bands revealed a few summit to summits and special event stations.
Satellite op - Exclusively SO-50. 3 passes. First pass was very low on horizon. Could pick up the sat but was marginal. 2nd pass was a good on. 4 Qso’s with France and Norway (I said lithuania in a comment above, but mis-remembered the call LA instead of LB was in the log) being DX but I guess technically all the qsos are roughly the same so add in 2M0 and a G) to the mix. Missed the start of the 3rd pass and for some reason couldnt get the doppler correction just right. All in all though, I say it was a success for my first Summit Satellite ops.
Datamodes: semi- disaster The cable I needed to connect the laptop to the rig only arrived late on Saturday so had to do the setup and testing in the field. Main problem was the glare on the laptop screen (thanks to VK5CZ for a tip on this in the JS8 group for future reference). After turning all colours off in WSJT made it semi-usable and I did manage to get a call out on FT8 and JS8Call the glare made everything hard to read. The problem with JS8 is that it is all free form text, so would need to be able to read not only what I received, but what I typed too. Didn’t even try with SSTV for the reasons given above.
Finished the day off with 2m FM. Quite a few local and EI/GI contacts with some good rag chews in the mix too. It got rid of some electrons out of the battery so didn’t have to carry them back down
Total QSO count - no idea - (some - more than 4)
Summit to Summit count - no idea (some but less than the above some)
Good day out - Yes definately.
All in all, a great fun day out in the open with wall to wall sun, lots of radio gear, lots of battery to play with. Somethings worked well, somethings not so much, it didn’t matter. No pressure activating
Thanks to all for QSO’s whether quick report or rag chews.