Evening Activations

Hi All

Over the next few weeks I’m going to take advantage of the lighter nights and working in the Bristol area to do a few after-work early evening activations of SC’s, SW’s and WB’s, just hoping there’ll be a few of you around to give me the contacts!

Unfortunately only 2m at present, but am aiming to be back on 5Megs as well in the next week or so.

Looking forward to catching some of you soon

73 de Paul G4MD

These will also be taking place from The Cloud G/SP-015 between now and 19th July, and will probably be on Mondays or Tuesdays, around 5pm on 2m FM. Will Spotlite on arrival & alert a couple of hours ahead.

In reply to M1EYP:

I will listen when you are posted but only have a horizontal beam available so horizontal FM would be appreciated, even turning a handy on its side makes a huge difference!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G4MD:

Good afternoon, Paul.

I’m sure the Cheltenham mafia will be there if you post in advance. Qualifying won’t be a problem, I’m sure. 2m SSB or FM?

I don’t normally get home from work until about 1930 but if you’re still on then, I’ll be delighted to work you.

GL, Richard G4ERP

In reply to G4MD:

Hi Paul,

I’m considering the slightly crazy idea of activating a summit in the 2m activity contest on the first Tuesday of the month - next one is next week, but may just do this June and July. Finishing at 10.00 p.m., I’ll be walking off in the dark, but this should be okay. Strong possibilities are Black Down SE-003 and Long Knoll SC-007. Unfortunately there’s no chance of activating Win Green SC-008 as that is taken each time… from the car park with 200w out.

I will keep a look out for you early evening as I sometimes drive at zero mph past my local high(er) spot on the way home!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Sounds like a bit of fun on a fine evening. I may wander up Leith Hill with the 817 to give you an extra QSO. However, not really being a VHF man, I’ll probably forget!! Fingers crossed …

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G4OIG:

Hi Gerald

When I activated Lobg knoll there was an art installation called “field of Light” at the foot of it (in fact the footpath runs right through it). This looked quite spectacular in the daylight when turned off, so a night time trip would be well worth it.

james M0ZZO

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses, it looks like there is an appetite out there for evening activations!

Last night’s trip to SC-003 Beacon Batch was successful, if somewhat damp - fortunately I got down just before the heavens opened properly. Only made five contacts, (including G4ERP/M on the way home - thanks Richard!) but they came quite easily and without spotting so I am fairly confident that future evening activations will be successful and hopefully the better summer weather will be conducive to longer and more satisfying activations.

Looking forward to many more, when I’m able to get out I’ll post an alert as early in the day as possible given the uncertainties arising from my work commitments.

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4OIG:

Hi Gerald, not at all crazy! Last year I did a few from the roof of the seven storey building I was constructing in London, and had great fun. I’ll try to do it from proper hills this year!

Looking forward to working you again soon,

73 de Paul G4MD

Hi All,

Planning another evening activation tonight, SC-010 Dundry Down, aiming to be there around 1830 - 1900 BST. Will start on 2m fm, but will go to 2m ssb after if needed to qualify or by request if time permits. Hope to work some of you then!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

Paul

I have some tips for that hill here:

http://www.sotawatch.org/beta/article.php?summit=G/SC-010&id=435

Richard

1 Like

In reply to G3CWI:

Thanks Richard, I’ll go for option 2 and hope the breakthrough is not too bad!

Cheers

Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

Hi, Paul.

I agree with Richard - it’s a strange place! The church tower is, however, remarkable.

Even horizontal polarisation didn’t help very much on 2m. It’s tolerable unless you beam anywhere near the towers so choose your spot carefully.

Hopefully work you again this evening on the way home.

73, Richard G4ERP

In reply to G4ERP:

Hi Richard,

I’m looking forward to seeing this remarkable church tower!

Thanks for the tip on siting, always good to know these things before you set up rather than after!

Look forward to working you later

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:
I have only activated SC-010 once & will probably never do it again. Very scruffy area & you can¬t help feeling as if you shouldn`t be there. I did however manage 20 contacts on 2m with hardly any breakthrough on the ft817.
Steve G1INK.

In reply to G1INK:

Certainly is a quaint place, and the church tower is quite bizarre - looks like the top has been transplanted from another building of a different style, and it doesn’t quite fit…

Made 5 contacts altogether, first few were quite easy, but the breakthrough/desensing quite suddenly increased for the last two, and by the end of the activation 2m was unusable - very sorry if anyone I couldn’t hear was calling me. Tried ssb and horizontal fm as well, but no further contacts on either. There must be something transmitting intermittently up there, that certainly got into my '817. Guess you were lucky Steve!

Thanks to all who did make it, looking forward to catching you again soon.

Am going to try getting away early tonight and activating Ruardean on my way back North, may be any time between 1600 and 1800 BST, I’ll try and post an alert giving a more accurate time when I’m ready to leave.

73 de Paul G4MD

1 Like

In reply to G4MD:

Did you take any photos? I’m intrigued to see what it all looks like but there are no photos on Geograph.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
High on a hill overlooking Bristol.

1 Like

In reply to G3CWI:
Ok there are photos on Geograph. Don’t know what happened but when I looked the 1st time there weren’t any and that’s the story I’m sticking too!

Andy
MM0FMF

Hi All

Sorry about the lack of promised evening activity last couple of weeks, work patterns have turned very strange of late!

Hope to rectify by doing SE-001 tomorrow, could be any time between 1800 and 2000 BST, I’ll post an alert when I’m on the way.

Sorry Les, no HF on board yet but I’ll catch you one of these days!

73 de Paul G4MD