EUFF Green Party + SOTA

Hi all,

I will attempt to work in the EUFF Green Party ( YOFF - FAUNA AND FLORA Romanian Program: EUFF GreenParty 2012 ) from the summit YO/EC-008 which is also in YOFF-379 thus qualifying for the EUFF GP outdoor category. While I’ll be CQ-ing for GP, I will certainly be glad to give out the reference to any chaser, so don’t hesitate to call in if you hear me, even if you are not interested in the GP. My primary goal indeed is to activate the summit, I just wanted to have part also in the Save the Green Planet action (and I think many mountaneers have the same feelings).
So hope to catch you in the air.

73!
Csaba, YO6PIB

In reply to YO6PIB:

Soon everywhere will have at least six award reference - if some places don’t already. Any ideas where might have the most so far?

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

I’m sure it’s not the most, but to give everybody a target to aim at, I’ll nominate Black Down in West Sussex with five.

In addition to the SOTA reference G/SE-003, a well-chosen operating position can give both SU92 and SU93 for WAB, plus GFF-018 for WFF and EU-005 for IOTA.

73 de Les, GQ3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:

I’m sure it’s not the most, but to give everybody a target to aim at,
I’ll nominate Black Down in West Sussex with five.

Lets raise you to seven :slight_smile:

G/CE-003 is also GFF-215 and also a choice of WAB SO93/SO94 plus two CASHOTA references (the tower and the hill-fort) - plus EU-005 of course.

But I’m sure one of the Scottish Islands can raise that with a lighthouse or two…

Andrew

In reply to M6ADB:
Hello

I an looking at WFF and if someone can give me a website I be able to look in to it more as would be able to Activated some when I do SOTA.

Ricky

In reply to MW6GWR:

http://bit.ly/MgdXAa

Excellent and interesting reading Richard, thanks. (The Womens Foodservice Forum and the Woodstock Film Festival that is).

Tom MQ1EYP

In reply to MW6GWR:

If you’ve done any SOTAing in the Brecon Beacons or Snowdonia, you already have done :slight_smile:

On the subject of WFF, now that Charles M0OXO has apparently resigned his post as UK supremo, just where do participants send their activation logs?

As usual, the various WFF websites are less-than-clear …

73 de Les, GQ3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:
Hi Les

Instructions here:

http://www.m0oxo.com/398-wff-gff-up-for-grabs.html

Mind you I suspect a knowledge of Russian will help.

Richard
G3CWI

Les,

I have just been through the main WFF website, and can advise that … I haven’t got a clue either…

Tom MQ1EYP

In reply to G3VQO:

I think the important thing is to ensure the money keeps flowing back to the USSR. For that reason I’m happy to be the intermediary. Just send me the cash in US Dollars, Sterling, Swiss Francs, Euros (if you must) and I’ll ensure it gets to the right place. Minus a small handling charge.

I wonder if the former UK head honcho can tell us how much money went to the RSPB and National Trust?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M1EYP:

I haven’t checked back there for a while but on looking I see that the WFF programme now seems to have embraced just about every award I could imagine - plus several I could not. It looks a little like they have used the databases from IOTA, SOTA, LHOTA etc to add them all to their awards.

It would be interesting to have an award for the areas not included within WFF in some way. That would be really challenging.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to MM0FMF:

I wonder if the former UK head honcho can tell us how much money went
to the RSPB and National Trust?

I did contact him regarding that very matter. No reply was forthcoming.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

I see they have taken the SOTA database “verbatim”. i.e. they have included all the watermarks we have in the database that fingerprints it as lifted direct from the website without the basic courtesy of asking if we minded.

Of course they’re not the only people who have done that. :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

WFF consists of 25 programmes:

Planet Earth Award
World Flora and Fauna Award
- World Natural Heritage award
- World Biosphere Award
- World Wetlands Award
- World Geoparks award
- World Zoo Parks Award
World Internal Islands Award
World Mountains Award
World Polar Award
- North Pole Award
- South Pole Award
World Volcanoes Award
World Caves Programme Awards
World Deserts Award
World Water Programme
- World Oceans Award
- World Seas Award
- World Lakes Award
- World Rivers Award
- World Waterfalls Award
- World Lighthouses Award
World Aerocrafts Award (sic)
World Space Programme Award
- World Astronomical Observatories Award

Should be enough to generate some dosh!

Richard
G3CWI

Of course no-one can claim sole ownership of the mountains and their vital statistics. But as soon as someone makes the effort to format this information into structured, ordered and categorised lists, then basic courtesy should be applied. Indeed, this is what the founders of SOTA did with Alan Dawson, and his book the Relative Hills of Britain which was the original reference work for the British SOTA associations.

I guess anyone helping themselves to the data from the SOTA websites should (a) ask us, because of the work we have put in to tailor the data to the radio amateur, and (b) Alan Dawson/RHB (or the original source of the data for each international association) as the owner of the original list and concept.

I strongly suspect that the WFF Committee has done neither. (And yes Andy, it is hilarious to look through the ‘lifted’ data on other websites and find your fingerprinting securely within it as clear evidence of plagiarism!).

Tom MQ1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I strongly suspect that the WFF Committee has done neither. (And yes
Andy, it is hilarious to look through the ‘lifted’ data on other
websites and find your fingerprinting securely within it as clear
evidence of plagiarism!).

Sometime ago, when I was “reprimanded” for breaching their copyright by putting the full GFF list on my website, ticking off those I’d activated, I made the observation of their hypocrisy with regards the SOTA database.

As regards the question of money, each of the National associations are well run, and respond promptly with awards etc, usually free in PDF form.

It is the central WFF scheme that has proven itself to be untrustworthy.

As a further aside, none of the other awards (other than the core WFF one) appear to have taken off… certainly the national representatives have not embraced them. You get the occasional observatory and the Italians have gone UDI with their own volcano award, but that’s it

But the core WFF award is great for self-training in pileup management, as the chasers are very keen.

Andrew

[edited for smelling pistakes]

In reply to M6ADB:

Sorry to hear that the World Aerocraft Award never took off - and surprised that the Italians went their own way.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to M6ADB:

Sorry to hear that the World Aerocraft Award never took off - and
surprised that the Italians went their own way.

Richard
G3CWI

Thanks, Richard!

Now I’ve got to clean Earl Grey off the keyboard and screen.

Brian G8ADD