EU Imports after Brexit

Bad for amateur radio and online purchasing / sales:

According to the newspapers the aftermath of the Brexit deal may affect some of us in the EU who purchase higher value items from the likes of WIMO and Optibeam for instance which I have done in the past. I do not know if this will affect EU 27 countries buying from UK.

I’ll leave it to the politicians and barrack room lawyers to read the 1246 pages of the agreement which is sure to be accepted by our parliament tomorrow! It should be an interesting debate hearing the different points of view hihi

In addition when we finally get to go across the Irish Sea to Northern Ireland for a SOTA holiday we will need a special veterinary health certificate for our dog as the EU border is now in the Irish Sea. The pet passport scheme we had before is no longer valid.

Don’t blame me - I voted Remain!

Good news for UK SOTA Tourers and holidaymakers:

Our EHIC cards remain valid until expiry when they will be replaced by a similar reciprocal scheme, and we will not need an international driving permit to drive in the EU27.

73 Phil

3 Likes

Yep, I’ve been a loyal customer of ML for decades and hoping that will remain so and the revenuers won’t make that impossible. On travel at least the common travel area between EI and the UK is unaffected so we can look forward to SOTA’s on both sides of the pond once the vaccine is rolled out.

Dec

2 Likes

Who’d have thought “taking back control” would have a cost bourne by the people.

4 Likes

About 48% of us.

6 Likes

“Lord of the Rings” is about 1000 pages and contains less myth and fable :rofl:

4 Likes

Hopefully we will now only pay our lower rate of VAT - unfortunately Royal Mail will charge a “Handling Fee” on top.

1 Like

I know the politicians will be ensuring the laws work but I can see there being some “opportunities” for goods moving to/from the EU via N. Ireland now :wink:

1 Like

I’m sure there will be “opportunities” for unconventional movement of goods, in the short term at least. Better (and easier) that this is tackled in the Irish Sea than on the land border.

1 Like

I think there has been a very clever equivocation between the rights of rich people to make money unhindered by regulation, and the rights of ordinary citizens, which will remain largely the same. In mainland Europe, the law as it relates to personal liberty is invariably more liberal. There is even a law that says I can land wherever I like (excluding controlled airspace) when I am flying on my paraglider; something that would have British farmers and landowners spewing out hot tea from coast to coast. I think it’s sad: the power that symbolism exerts over people.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

6 Likes