Es'hail 2 now operational

We can use Einstein’s explanation of radio to help with satellite working. Einstein explained radio thus

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat. "

Had satellites existed when he lived he would have added…

“With satellites you have 2 cats, one for up and one for down that you need to point into space. Pointing cats is very difficult and makes satellite working difficult. And of course, like domestic radio, there are no cats.”

So it is just like ordinary radio with more cats that don’t exist and also cat pointing difficulties. Es’Hail 2 helps us with the cat pointing by not moving about the sky unlike the cats which would be very annoyed if you tried to point them and would move and squirm a lot. If they existed which they don’t.

Hope this helps.

(It’s time for my medication now…)

6 Likes

Blimey! After that I need a stiff drink!

You now owe me:

1. a new keyboard
  2. cleaning wipes for the monitor
  3. several pints to help relieve the brain damage caused by your post

This is the only source I found for Optima PLL LNBs:

About £18 delivered to UK.

These appear to be PLL too: Universal Single LNB digital SAT-LNB DVB-S2 up to 1 device 4K/HDTV/3D/Satellite 4040849672699 | eBay

My current thinking is that something like a Lime SDR Mini or Pluto SDR might be the way to go. They could do the 2.4 GHz TX (need amplifier of course) and the RX direct from the LNB IF. The free SDR-Radio software seems to do everything that is required. It does mean that the station requires a laptop though.

Yes, ADALM Pluto seems the best option to me too. However, it also needs an external 40MHz clock reference as the onboard one is pretty bad. GPSDO, OCXO or even the homebrew programmable OCXO kit from Qrp-labs should do.

Plus some filtering for TX before the amplifier, either a 2.4GHz SAW filter or something like this:

1 Like

Thanks for the info. A good 40 MHz TCXO should fix that.

A typical good TCXO short term stability can translate to a worst-case drift of about 5Hz/sec at 2.4Ghz, if my math serves me right. I think with careful construction and if operating in constant temperature they could be fine.

OCXOs are 1-3 orders of magnitude better, but are a bit pricey (about £100 new) and the 40MHz ones aren’t that common on the used market. The common 10MHz ones are cheap and can be used with some software/firmware modification - I know there was some talk about this but I can’t find the link right now, to see if anyone managed to do it.

1 Like

Chaser station starting to come together. I am fortunate in having a clear shot at the satellite from the shack window.

3 Likes

So I now have the receive set-up running. Lots of activity on the satellite.

Equipment:

80cm offset dish on tripod £25
Goobay LNB (pll) £5
Pluto SDR (RX and TX) £100
SDR-Console software on laptop
Engineering time £1500

It’s far from perfect but it works.

I have an 8 W WiFi amp (£35) so the transmit side is virtually ready. I just need to bodge a 13cm dish feed.

Showing my ignorance here…
Is the LNB actually a down converter (I thought LNB meant low noise booster, ie. just a preamp)? So is that stable enough and good enough LO purity to deal with an ssb downlink signal?
Which part of that generates your uplink on 2.4 ghz, is that the Pluto SDR? And is the wifi amp good enough linearity for ssb? I looked at a 2w wifi amp some years back, an 8 watt option is a big improvement…

LNB is Low Noise Block.

On modern LNBs you get an integrated feed horn, 2 inputs (horizontal / vertical), an IF oscillator, mixer, IF amp/cable driver. Supply voltage picks one of the inputs and on many, superimposing a 22kHz tone on the power switches the oscillator IF so you can cover more band.

They have prodigious gain and the cable driver will drive the IF (about 700-2000MHz) over 50-100m of cable with ease.

All for £5.99 shipped from China!

1 Like

An LNB (as opposed to an LNA) downconverts - in this case from 10.5 GHz to 740 MHz (approx). This, together with the amplification, allows cheap co-ax to be used from the dish focus to the receiver. There are two types of oscillators used in LNBs, Dielectric Resonator Oscillators and Phase Locked Loops (locked to a crystal). The later type provides adequate performance for SSB/CW.

The Pluto can do the IF RX at 740 MHz and the TX at 2.4 GHz (both simultaneously). It has a 40 MHz TCXO which is useable on CW and SSB but is not great.

Drift in the LNB and Pluto can (probably) be addressed with one of these: Precision GPS Reference Clock [GPS-CLOCK] - 165.00GBP : Leo Bodnar, Inspirational Electronics

I suspect WiFi amplifiers have to be linear to cope with the complex modulation used in WiFi (but I’m guessing). The “8 Watts” should be taken with a large pinch of salt I suspect. The amp has to be slightly modified to override its TX/RX switch. See amp below.

1 Like

It’s probably valid when the device is used as a Wifi amp as it will be switching between TX and RX very fast, the peak power maybe 8W. It is extremely unlikely it would do 8W at 100% duty cycle. I read about this just recently but due to the rapid onset of age related befuddlement I cannot remember where.

I have just written a few notes about what a bias-T is. You will need one if you are using an LNB.
Bias-T for LNB - a few notes - SOTABEAMS

1 Like

A very useful technique for feeding any remote equipment via it’s signal frequency connection - active antenna, preamp etc. :slight_smile:

Never came across it described as a bias-t(ee) in connection with valves though?

73 de Paul G4MD

He would most definately pointed out that understanding relativity as key to SAT work. Its as a near a perfect example, time dialation for GPS, Not to mention a moon bounce.

To see and play with things like this make me happy, which is why I got a radio licence.

Hi all
I got a nice link to rx the sat QO-100 and a lot of hint
http://websdr.is0grb.it:8901/

1 Like

The “8W” WiFi amplifier uses two YP242034 devices which are rated for 34dBm each (P1dB). The pair is good for 5W+, but people have been reporting getting from less than 2W to over 6W from them. I think the internal DC-DC converter should be investigated if the output is low; nominal is 6V but some people have reported it dropping down to 5.6V or less under load.