Enough snow now thanks

In reply to M0RCP: I had a diesel LR Discovery Mk 2 until a year ago. Excellent towcar with low enough gear ratios in 1st and reverse to shove a 1500kg caravan almost anywhere. Even with road tyres it was a noisy beast above about 60mph and returned only 30mpg on average. However, it did feel top-heavy and I can understand how they can fall over if you try and drive them like an AH Sprout, even on dry roads.

The replacement is a Honda CR-V, much more like a car, quieter, tows well but the 1st & reverse gear ratios are too high. Driven sensibly on a recent trip from Shrewsbury to SE London, it returned 42mpg. Honda claim that the 4wd engages when things start sliding, but I’m not going to try it out and I’m staying off the ice.

Being on Beta-blockers my circulation doesn’t work too well in the cold, so I’ll do the wimp thing and stay off the hills until the weather warms up a bit

Regards, Dave, G6DTN/M0DFA

In reply to G6SFP:

Used my Autosocks for 1st time on Wednesday.
Few mins to fit, good grip on starting and braking.
Notice that paramedics using them on hilly roads but you
need to remove them for bare tarmac, cost around £50 per pair.
Now for the Welsh hills!

73s de Peter TJE+

In reply to MM0FMF:

I can’t get my Focus ST up the hill to the top of our road. TCS cuts in as soon as the wheels start to slip and kills the power to the front wheels… even when the stability program (which the TCS is part of) is switched off. Obviously the tread pattern on these performance tyres is all wrong for driving in snow and ice so I’m staying put at home for safety’s sake!

73 Chris

Just started snowing quite heavily again here in Tewkesbury this morning.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:
We had a heavy shower pass over a couple of hours ago heading your way, if its the same one it won’t last long!

Brian G8ADD

Sunday’s plan was Kinder Scout G/SP-001 from Hayfield. We knew we could drive there, whereas Edale/Upper Booth might have been more difficult. The pros and cons of routes were dicussed. The walled bridleway up to Edale Cross might be the most direct approach, but would drifted snow in the tracks be too much of an obstacle? Would an approach via Mill Hill to the Kinder Downfall edge of the plateau be any beter?

In the end, we parked in Hayfield village and initially aimed to take the bridleway to Edale Cross, and then left for the Pennine Way up to Kinder Low. After a couple of kilometres, the deep drifted snow in the walled track was really difficult. Richard donned his snow-shoes and continued, but Jimmy and I crossed into the adjacent field where the snow was much less deep on a surface of frozen soil. Where the soil was not covered by snow, it had a lethal icy topping, so care was required.

We then took the decision to bear left and aim for Kinder Low End. The snow remained deep, and the going difficult and very tiring, especially for me. I couldn’t keep up with Richard G3CWI or Jimmy M3EYP. I began to really struggle on the steep slopes, become increasingly exhausted with every step.

At the top of a rocky outcrop, a sat myself down, still someway behind Richard and Jimmy. I was short of breath and slightly nauseous. Jimmy and Richard returned to my position, and we took the day’s first soup break - Tesco Sweet Potato & Chilli. After the rest, I felt OK to continue, so resumed the steep uphill work.

It was a case of so near and yet so far. We could see the crest of Kinder Low End, upon which we knew there would be a cairn and and almost flat last kilometre to the summit. We also knew that a flagged path covered the length of this, but how much of that would be seen under deep snow is another matter!

The downside of nearing the crest was that we were no longer shelter from the strong and bitter North-Easterly wind, which was also whipping up the lying snow rather unpleasantly. I was feeling OK still, but couldn’t disguise the fact that I was going increasingly slowly. We all agreed that it was time to turn back.

Jimmy led us on a more direct route back to the lane up from Hayfield, and further down we enjoyed some lovely Wainwright Ale at the Sportsman pub. So yet another failure to add to this season’s expanding catalogue. Or was it? Perhaps not as Richard asserted; “My only objective was to come out for a walk in the snow with some friends”.

Some intensive work on my own fitness is now in order - my lung capacity was definitely not what it should have been yesterday. Thanks to Jimmy and Richard for their company and what was nonetheless an enjoyable expedition.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

“… my lung capacity was definitely not what it should have been yesterday.”

So you’ve joined the club Tom! You have experienced the problem I have every time I go out - getting oxygen into the blood stream is not easy, particularly in cold weather. I am extremely fortunate to have a very caring activation partner who is sensitive to my abilities and is very willing to share in my regular pauses for “photographic opportunities” on ascents. I have learnt that it is best to avoid eating anything within 30 minutes of making an ascent as this avoids my body having to deal with sending blood to process food and power muscles simultaneously. Besides, I want my body to eat away at the lard store that I carry just above my waist!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

I am extremely fortunate to have a
very caring activation partner who is sensitive to my abilities

…just like Jimmy and me. When Tom collapsed on the rocks we paused only to take photos and discuss what to do before I ran back to rescue the soup. I cheered Tom up by suggesting that I had only seen him looking paler when he was reminded that it was his round.

Fortunately he recovered quite quickly.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

:slight_smile:

On a serious note, I was quite shocked at how quickly I chilled-off at only 300m in that wind. I was okay during the activation in the shelter of the gorse, but on the descent, I had to stop within 1/4 mile to don my balaclava. My face was going numb with the cold and my nose was hurting - and we weren’t even walking into the wind.

Enough snow now, thanks.

73, Richard

In reply to G4ERP:

Sorry I missed you from Bredon Hill yesterday, Richard. CE-003 remains the only G/CE summit that I haven’t yet worked … although I have activated it.
:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Sorry we missed each other yesteray - but I’m sure you’ll work Bredon very soon. I spoke to Frank this morning and he’s planning on doing it when we get a brighter day.

Despite being in the cloud and close to the escarpment, it seemed much warmer yesterday. There wasn’t the biting wind of Saturday.

It was, however, extremely icy on many of the steeper paths. After the amusement caused last year by me using crampons in similar conditions, I chose not to use them this time - and promptly landed on my backside. I used them on the way down but there’s no photographic evidence this time!

73, Richard

In reply to G6SFP:

In reply to:

http://www.snobootz.com/

Much quicker to install than snow chains and you can drive on tarmac
for extended periods.

Nigel.
G6SFP.

As they dig into the tarmac, they may not be legal on UK roads…
Have you found a UK supplier?

Snow socks are used by some emergency services, those and other alternatives:

73 Graham G4FUJ

In reply to M0RCP:

In reply to M0KPO:

many of these 4wds have very high
centres of gravity and shouldn’t be driven at speed in icy conditions.

Rick
Nothing should be driven at speeds in icy conditions - except perhaps by highly experienced rally drivers on narrow, spiky, ice tyres… ;o)

My Defender 90 has been a boon over the last week or so - wont take the Morgans out on salted roads and the MX-5 wouldn’t move on the packed snow on our road. No salt bins either.

73 Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G4FUJ:
“THE Land Rover” during this icy, snowy conditions has not even had 4WD engaged and has coped with everything. Shod with 750 Avon Ranger Tyres on normal pressures. The only it has been necessary to do, just in case, was to lock the Fairy Free Wheeling Hubs and carry a 1ct bag of cement over the rear axle of the 109"

Is that Gwendolyn? I thought Gwendolyn had moved onto that Big Land Rover Dealership in the Sky. And I’ve met Ermintrude - and she isn’t a Land Rover. So, you got a new motor Myke? And more importantly, what is its name?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G6DDQ:

It’s the tyres Myke. My wife’s Punto has only slighter lower profile tyres than normal on steel wheels and has coped admirably. My neighbour’s wife has an Astra with gorgeous alloys on it. The tyres remind me of a garden roller with an elastic band wrapped around it. It’s not been able to get of the drive for 3 weeks!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M1EYP:
Tom

You are correct Gwendolyn did move on to the big dealership in the sky.

This is a full re-build of “The” Land Rover, when the oval was yellow and not green and well before the new fangled Chelsea Tractors came into being. As yet she has no name but am considering “Ayesha” from the Rider Haggsrd novel

For those in the know, she has a suffix “C” chassis, marine blue and therefore has a pedigree. Positive earth (as they were). Built at the centre of the universe at Lode Lane and she is as authentic as I could get her. I have made a couple of concessions, a galvannised chassis and ali bulk head and foot-beds. Engine is a 2286 cc petrol, solex carb, about 18 to the gallon, unleaded head, long stroke Land Rover power unit. We had some problems with the thermostat on this so currently there is not one in situ. Ten seater with Fairy Overdrive and Freewheeling hubs, a circular phillips heater in the passenger footwell. A safari roof and dished bonnet with steel, not the leaky ali, rims. Was thinking of split rims but they were not standard on this model. Fully independant wipers to the front, split screen, sealed beams on the headlights (these were difficult to find), hydraulic capstan winch, oil cooler and full safari preparation. Two 10 gallon tanks under each passenger seat and one 20 gallon tank at the rear. Leaf spring suspension and drum brakes. Shod with Avon Ranger 750 tyres.

As per the “Real” Land Rovers she has three main gear levers, black, yellow and red plus the optional Fairy Overdrive giving her a total of 16 gears and four reverse.

Everything is easy to get at, simple mechanics non of your modern traction control rubbish or computer control rubbish.

It is of course a display vehicle although it does have all the legal paperwork, original plates etc but road fund licence exempt.

Have now started to re-build a '72 Range Rover, plastic seats, rubber mats on the floor, three door, Rover V8 (low compression) 3.5 injected motor. Estimate about 4 years before it is on the road

In reply to G6DDQ:
Nice!
'Fraid my legs not as flexible as they once were - driving any series LR is difficult (impossible with workboots on). The 90 is OK though. Not used the difflock yet (except for the farm track up in Cumbria last weekend). 7.50R16 of the same tread fitted to Mk1 Discos - good in snow.
Like you say, wide tyres skate on the surface, useless in these conditions. Not sure what I’ll do when I can’t get the 7.50s any longer.
For record: 90 200Tdi '91, ex-HT now SW, GKN O/D, Webasto pre-heater and 2 20ltr jerries for when the underseat 12 gal tank isn’t enough!
Past motors: 88 IIa, 109 III, early 4dr 5 spd RR, 127", Disco I (didn’t like it) & now the early Defender 90. Fancy a 101" 1 tonne ;o). A few sports cars alongside and in between.
73 Graham G4FUJ
Another Land Rover fanatic - who will happily talk Landies all day long!

In reply to G4FUJ:
I was amazed all though years ago when we started how easy it was to get authentic parts. The most difficult part to obtain was the correct steering wheel but found one eventually.

The engine and gear box, still covered in waxed paper and complete with ancillaries including carb and dynamo, were found in hanger at RAF Stafford when it was being cleared along with many other parts and some Merlin engines. We even found a radiator here, the one with the beautiful brass header tank.

An awful lot of help was gleaned by the Series IIA Land Rover Club and several members advised as to what and what was not genuine for that chassis.

One good thing is that I do not have to rest my left foot against the transfer lever to stop it rattling nor hold to door top in place with the right elbow. Well at least not yet. Can still strap a pie in foil to the exhaust manifold to keep it warm.

They were simple, strong and reliable and must visit Red Sands where they were first tested back in 47.

Fancy doing up one of first Series 1 station wagons after the Range Rover.

As for value, priceless

In reply to G4FUJ:

Used to have a 1980 Series III SWB in marine blue with the fairey o/d, fwh, 650 mud jobbies, “deluxe” seats, bull bars, ladder and a nice, antenna friendly roof rack. I think it was one of the last of the 3 bearing 2.2 diesels and it wouldn’t pull you out of bed!

Retired early due to the main chassis members being beyond any further plating and the usual rotten outriggers. Despite it’s relatively young age it had obviusly led a very tough life. Ah well if you buy cheap you buy twice.

73, Chris