Enough snow now thanks

In reply to GM4CFS:

Well it needs to melt a bit. There was so much going up The Minch Moor today it added an extra hour to the ascent time. Knackering too!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
I had booked for a stay this week at a hut in the Coppermines Valley near Coniston in LD. I heard this morning that the track to it is blocked with snow and is closed. I also have today a severe weather warning for this area (Brum) with substantial snow expected. I think that I will stick to chasing for now!

Brian G8ADD

A further 10-15cm fell here this morning. That on top of what we already have must be approaching the most snow in 20 or more years. Schools all closed. Few cars on the road.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

We only had around 2cms last night. But it was -10C according to the car on the way to work. I’ve only lived in these parts for ~10 years and my neighbours are saying it’s not been this bad since 1984/5. Looking out of the bedroom window this morning was eerie as everything was lit up from the moonlight reflected from the snow.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:

A similar story here in Scarborough on the North Yorkshire coast, 15 cm of snow overnight, still snowing heavily and it is heading south west, towards the midlands.

Roy G4SSH

In reply to G3CWI:

Snowing here too in Northampton - light at the moment, more forecast for later. Just pleased to have found a window in the weather to get out and do some activating over the last two days. The points gained were certainly well earned!

Now studying the long-range prophesy cooked up by the wizards and witches at the Met Office… for what it’s worth.

73, Gerald

In reply to G3CWI:
hey richard should have been on the m6, from lymm services to charnock services, one lane open and cars travelling at 20mph, took over 1 1/2 hours. southbound was closed at haydock island (junction 23) and orrell (junction 26) closed due to jackknifed lorries, all roads and motorways around greater manchester and cheshire are awfull,
so if anyone out today be careful,
be warned stay indoors,
Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB:

Imgur

Activating in Wales tomorrow looks unlikely!

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Activating in Wales tomorrow looks unlikely!

Carolyn is still listed as attempting the Sugar Loaf today.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Carolyn might have a problem with the weather Walt. It’s forecast 34 deg C in Rio today ;>)

Reg G3WPF

In reply to G3WPF:

Carolyn might have a problem with the weather Walt. It’s forecast 34
deg C in Rio today ;>)

Tee hee! I meant, of course, GW/SW-011.
:slight_smile:

HNY Reg!

73 de Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G4OIG:

Now studying the long-range prophesy cooked up by the wizards and
witches at the Met Office… for what it’s worth.

Using a crystal ball or tea leaves is just as effective and does’nt cost millions of pounds every year.

Regards, Mike G4BLH

In reply to G3NYY:

Probably just a bit colder there Walt! HNY

Reg

In reply to G3WPF:

Probably just a bit colder there Walt! HNY

It’s just started snowing heavily here in Tewkesbury, Reg.

Must be global warming …

Walt (G3NYY)

Hi All,

The snow is bad here in Macclesfield and it is also bad in Knutsford because my School (6th form) has been closed for the second time ever.

Jimmy M3EYP

Well and truly snowed-in here in not-so-sunny Runcorn so thank heaven for vpn.

I’m keeping a tally chart of people’s cars trying and failing to get up my hill and the pen’s starting to run out.

73, Chris

In reply to G4BLH:

Had about 4 cm of snow in sunny Brum this morning, all the main roads and bus routes are clear but our side road is an ice rink! We seem to have consistently missed the worst of the weather all winter, with a cumulative total of 8 cm since the wintery weather started - must be global warming! :wink:

In all seriousness the standard of weather forecasting has been excellent this winter, the movements of highs, lows, troughs and fronts has been well predicted. Translating this to temperatures and precipitation amounts on the ground is more dicey, they still can’t forecast the track of a shower or the location of a shower cluster more than a few hours in advance, but their performance is an order of magnitude better than it was a few decades ago and unimaginably better than when I first started to take an interest in my teens!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Imgur

just thought you might wanted to see the snowman built by the residents of our street,

In reply to M0SGB:
She reminds me of a teacher I had in the infants…terrifying!

Brian G8ADD

The temperature in Tewkesbury right now is minus 12.5 C.

At least no more snow - for the moment!

Walt (G3NYY)