English Association Rules

Hi, I am looking for the definition of the activation zone on English summits, which I see from general rules is decided by each individual country. However, I can’t find any Engish Association rules to guide me.Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Dave G8XDD

In reply to G8XDD:

Basically it is the contiguous area defined by a contour that is 25m below the height of the summit. It is defined like that so that you do not have to activate at the actual summit and thus can site aerials so that they do not impede other summit visitors. Many people like to visit the true summit before activating but there is no requirement to do so.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G8XDD:

Hi, Dave.

Just to give an example, following on from Richard’s explanation. My local hill G/CE-001 Cleeve Hill has a large summit plateau with two trig points separated by about a mile and having very similar altitudes. Only one of them is in the activation zone as there is a drop of just a little more than 25m to the col between them. You can guess that the true summit is the one further from our house.

I’m sure others can give similar examples but it’s something to be aware of.

73, Richard

In reply to G8XDD:
Hi Dave

Activation zones can indeed be quite large. Have a look at the piece I did in this news and you will see some statistics and examples in the links:

http://new.sotawatch.org/reflector.php?topic=2467#

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G3CWI:
Hi Richard, thanks , that explains it very well - Dave

In reply to G4ERP:Thanks, the example explains it even further! I am sure all my activations have been in the zone but I was just curious as to the exact limit! - Dave

In reply to G0AZS:
Hi Mark, thanks for the info and the link, thats a lot of work you’ve done there !

In reply to G8XDD:

Strangely enough, re-reading your question I see that no-one answered what you asked. The G Association Manual is here:

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:Didn’t like to mention it as the required info was given! thanks for the link Richard