Elecraft KX2 / KX3

Thanks Jim. It seems your opinion is shared by all the posters here, pretty much. I will now spend time looking for second hand, and also considering whether to get new, and then whether to go direct to Elecraft, or Walters and Stanton (the UK distributor). The former may be cheaper, and the latter may be quicker, and less hassle!

Re KK0U: To put it a little more correctly … :wink:
KX2 RX 500 kHz-32 MHz
KX2 TX 80-10 m bands

3 Likes

It’s OK! - I know the data :slight_smile:

I don’t need a 160m band for SOTA - 6m would have been nice - but the extra price / weight / dimensions of the KX3 were not worth this option to me.

73 Armin

1 Like

I started in SOTA with the FT-817 and an Alinco 2M HT. Once I got the bug I changed rigs to a KX3 and a Kenwood TH-D72A. My KX3 has the built in ATU, and 2M Transverter, and I now use the KX3 to drive my 23cm transverter. The TH-D72A has been replaced by a TH-D74 - I like the tri-band capability and the APRS built into the HT. My buddy has the KX2 and sometimes I envy his rig for the weight advantage; but I traded a little bit more weight for the ability to operate from 160-23cm all mode. By the way - although I have the built in battery capability on my KX3, I now use the KX2 battery pack to power my KX3 - cuts down on the weight and adds time to my activations. If I ever find a used KX2 at a great price I may add that rig to the collection. The only thing I miss is having 70cm all mode to drive a 13cm transverter. Other folks like other equipment, but I am addicted to Elecraft and Kenwood!

2 Likes

I have a Kx3 with internal atu and vhf module, i use the external battery lipo 3s.
If your targets are the long hikes or high mountains I suggest the kx2. If your type of portable operations is not too extreme you could carry up some height more, you could choose the kx3.
The six meter in the next years would be open more often…

I do not racommend the use of external device, transverter or tuner, they can compromise your fun…

4 Likes

I do the same

I only use the internal battery rarely or as a backup. After a short period of use, the output power of the KX2 is reduced to 5W.
With the stronger external battery, I always have the full output power.

73 Armin

5 Likes

I have the KX3 since 2014 and recently bought a KX2. Both are excellent radios and the KX3 has done a lot of work and seen many distant summits.

However for full pack o/night bushwalks or steep difficult summits the smaller, lighter KX2 has a lot going for it.
With the KX2 had the internal tuner installed as was the KX3, very handy, and bought a Elecraft paddle.

Mostly do cw with some ssb. Did not bother with an internal battery. Found with the KX3 rarely used the internal battery.
In any case with an external battery get more power .

Regards, Wal VK2WP

3 Likes

As a bag for the KX2 I recommend the Lowepro CS 60 (it is like the elecraft bag).

https://www.lowepro.com/de-de/viewpoint-cs-60-black-lp36914-pww/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8-PRv4Wy8QIVmUaRBR0yFg-wEAQYBCABEgKIvfD_BwE

IMG_2510
IMG_2509
IMG_2507

As you can see, there is room for everything here. The front of the KX2 is protected by a small booklet in which I enter the QSOs.

73 Armin

4 Likes

I only use the internal battery, but always have a spare pack with me. The charm of the KX2 is that it works out of the box.

I am sitting on a stump. On the left knee the smartphone, on the right the logbook and the kx2 with the microphone and paddle up on the lap.
Then you are happy about everything you don’t need anymore.
73 Chris

5 Likes

I too use the LowePro bag.

However, we get a lot of unforecasted rain in my area (Wot? Northern England, surely not?) and often I use a repurposed see-through toilet bag in which I can operate the KX2 through the open zip. It also doubles as the carry bag for the KX2, LiPo, paddles and cables.

3 Likes

My answer…

Get a brand new Yaesu FT-818 with full warranty.

Build resonant aerials for each band you wish to operate /P on.

Every mode. Every band. One relatively affordable little black box.

OK, it wasn’t your question - but it’s still my answer :wink:

8 Likes

Heck, you must have a firm lap Chris - mine is too flabby for that. I attach my Palm Nano paddles to a small steel plate strapped to my leg with a velcro strap [with a 1m lead to the KX2].

2 Likes

I rather have my Palm Pico attached to the side of the KX2 permanently, replacing a single top side panel screw with a longer pan head screw. The paddle slides away when not in use and avoids any damage.

With the internal battery & KXAT2 fitted its a nice arrangement which rests on your knee with minimal external wires.

Late last year I picked up an additional internal battery pack, Ansmann 2447-3031-20 which is 3500mAh with more modern cells. It holds up really well at 10w, less volt drop when drawing 2A on Tx.

73 Gavin
GM0GAV

3 Likes

Thanks for all the answers everyone. Apologies if I haven’t responded, but we have been staying in Harlech for a few days.

These pictures were taken on Thursday evening, just before the rain set in. Unfortunately Friday was a wash out, so I didn’t get a chance to try again. As you can see, I am not very “mobile” with this setup!

Well, I started looking for a KX2 second hand, and instead came across a KX3 which is in excellent condition, and actually came with a T1 tuner, all for an attractive price. I decided to go for it, on the basis I can get something lighter in the future should my activities dictate a need. I am now sourcing BNC connectors to get my antennas working with it, as my ft-897 has SO-239 connectors.
With luck, I will have a go at activating in the next week or so!

4 Likes

Don’t buy them from eBay unless you are sure they are reputable as many on sale there are poorly made low quality Chinese ones. You should be looking for Greepar, Radial, H&S branded products. Whilst it wont matter much at HF, you want to get into the habit of not buying connector tat but buying decent quality connectors.

1 Like

That is a very nice bag, for an excellent price. It looks like they are being phased out in favour for a harder cased version, as the offer price in Germany is not available in the UK.

I may have to arrange something with my (German) wife’s side of the family :wink:

Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately I had this experience buying a second power lead for my ft-897. The plug was so loose, it wouldn’t even make a steady connection with the radio!

Hey Paul

My bag at the foto is the Lowepro Viewpoint CS 80 ! It’s a little bit larger… The CS 60 is like the elecraft bag.

73 Armin

1 Like

Tnx, Armin for this information. My elecraft bag won’t last forever.

73 Chris

Hey Armin. What battery are you using for your KX2? My original Elecraft battery works well and will easily last for a full long activation at 10w. I also purchased some genuine Panasonic 3400maH 18650’s and built my own battery pack that will last even longer. Just wondering why yours will not last at 10W.
Tim - K5DEZ