EI7CC at 10,000 chaser points

In my eyes the object is to work as many chasers as is possible, both at home and abroad…

Well, by “object”, I meant the objectives of the programme, but that aside, I couldn’t agree more. That is why I have worked well over six thousand activator QSOs in SOTA, and used 13 different bands and FM, CW and SSB from over 200 unique summits and well over 700 activations … :wink:

I don’t agree with this perception of chaser numbers diminishng in the North West, on VHF or as a whole. On the occasions I do a VHF activation, they are all still there and I make plenty of contacts.

However, “the proof of the pudding” and all that - I might be wandering over Whernside in half-term, with Jimmy, Marianne and Liam. We will just take 2m FM handhelds, but I’m sure we’ll both get the QSOs we require, and hopefully a few more too. It might be trickier on a weekday, but I doubt it’s too great a gamble!

Regarding the 2m regulars around the North-West, there’s very few of them that call in on 80m/40m CW/SSB, but they are usually there on 2m FM, so I do think that VHF has an important role in maintaining and extending the profile of SOTA, just as does HF.

There is an interesting debate here. On the one hand HF is promoted as the way of reaching more potential chasers, but then a perceived reduction of VHF activity is bemoaned.

Anyway, we’ve been here before. And whenever I extract the number of activator QSOs from the Database, whether for 2m, for VHF, for FM, for 2m FM in the North-West or whatever, the result is invariably a year-on-year increase.

Maybe it’s time to repeat the exercise?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

That is why I have worked well over six thousand activator QSOs in SOTA, > and used 13 different bands and FM, CW and SSB from over 200 unique summits > and well over 700 activations … :wink:

That proves nothing Tom, it’s all relative, compare your stats against a HF activator who has been involved in SOTA as long as you, Steve G1INK for example.

I don’t agree with this perception of chaser numbers diminishng in the
North West, on VHF or as a whole. On the occasions I do a VHF
activation, they are all still there and I make plenty of contacts.

As SOTA’s top chaser I feel well qualified to assure you that this is the case. Check the database for recent activations in G/NP and see what the number of QSOs are per 2m activation. I might add that you have regularly been heard to mug the repeaters to get your quota on VHF!!

However, “the proof of the pudding” and all that - I might
be wandering over Whernside in half-term, with Jimmy, Marianne and
Liam. We will just take 2m FM handhelds, but I’m sure we’ll both get
the QSOs we require, and hopefully a few more too. It might be
trickier on a weekday, but I doubt it’s too great a gamble!

That will be interesting - good luck.

Regarding the 2m regulars around the North-West, there’s very few of
them that call in on 80m/40m CW/SSB, but they are usually there on 2m
FM.

That statement astounds me, where do you get your info from.

There is an interesting debate here. On the one hand HF is promoted
as the way of reaching more potential chasers, but then a perceived
reduction of VHF activity is bemoaned.

The MT allowed SOTA to go international, surely we should consider overseas associations when activating, otherwise what was the point in going international? Maybe the answer is to activate HF and VHF and please everyone.

Anyway, we’ve been here before. And whenever I extract the number of
activator QSOs from the Database, whether for 2m, for VHF, for FM, for
2m FM in the North-West or whatever, the result is invariably a
year-on-year increase.

Obviously, because as more associations come on board, the number of VHF activations has to go up because it includes all associations.

A good point Tom, but do it correctly. I say this because your statistics don’t always agree with those on another website.

Now can we let this thread get back to offering Pete his deserved congratulations for attaining 10,000 chaser points!!

Mike GW0DSP

That is why I have worked well over six thousand activator QSOs…

That proves nothing Tom

It proves I have contributed many activator QSOs to the programme, throughout the band/mode spectrum.

Steve G1INK for example.

Steve is an excellent and prolific activator, the top one of the eleven that have made more activator QSOs than me!

As SOTA’s top chaser I feel well qualified

Wouldn’t a regular North West 2m activator be better qualified?

I might add that you have regularly been heard to mug the repeaters to get your quota on VHF!!

…at 7.30 in the morning, this is true. At other times, I have self-spotted on SOTAwatch, or even used a “dial-a-spot” service from kindly folks. Anyway, define “regularly” (in this context).

That will be interesting - good luck.

Thanks. I’m confident, but naturally hope not to be proved wrong.

Regarding the 2m regulars around the North-West, there’s very few of
them that call in on 80m/40m CW/SSB, but they are usually there on 2m
FM.

That statement astounds me, where do you get your info from.

From my own activations.

The MT allowed SOTA to go international, surely we should consider overseas >associations when activating, otherwise what was the point in going >international? Maybe the answer is to activate HF and VHF and please >everyone.

You can do what you like when you activate, and working chasers overseas is good form I agree. But it isn’t compulsory, and activators do not have a duty to promote SOTA internationally on their expeditions - although many do and that is great. As you know, I do that a lot myself, but do believe that it is important to occasionally do some VHF as well. It really is a different set of people in the logbook to an HF activation, in my experience anyway.

Obviously, because as more associations come on board, the number of VHF >activations has to go up because it includes all associations.

The same results are returned when restricting the survey to UK or even North West England activity.

A good point Tom, but do it correctly. I say this because your statistics don’t always agree with those on another website.

I am aware of that, but I am confident in my own ability as a mathematician. If you find any errors in my work in this area in the past, please advise as I will only be too happy to correct it as a matter of professional pride :wink:

Now can we let this thread get back to offering Pete his deserved congratulations for attaining 10,000 chaser points!!

Good call. Congratulations Pete, and many thanks for all the times you have called Jimmy and myself, especially on our GI trip last year.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I have no more to add, it would be pointless, I’m sure you must be right as usual Tom.

Now that you have finished hijacking the thread to tell us all about you and your activations and achievements, it really is time to let the thread get back on to it’s original theme.

Mike GW0DSP

Cheers Mike, thanks for a lively and interesting discussion.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Croeso.

Mike GW0DSP