EI Logbook Keeping Requirements

A man walks into a bookshop and asks for a book on Pavlov and Schrödinger.

The book keeper says it rings a bell but he doesn’t know if it is there or not.

7 Likes

I’m trying to decide if Schrödinger’s cat principle could apply but to be honest it is frankly quite difficult with a dog at the summit, even carrying a virtual box with a cat in may be too much. It is possible that Pauli exclusion principle might have more relate to SOTA, the mere act of looking for that spare battery, guyline or logbook in the rucksack will probably disturb the possibility of it being present, however probably Sods law is more applicable, you will carry a log book and the EMF calculation to the summit on every activation apart from the one occasion when it might have been useful…
Paul

4 Likes

I rely on the “umbrella effect”: If you carry an umbrella with you, it will not rain (might not work for EI, GW, GM and parts of G). That’s why I carry a mast, a throw weight, small tripod stool, seat pad, two (ok, small) batteries, raincoat (not a fan of umbrellas, I want to have my hands free) and a whole lot of other stuff with me.
A positive side effect is the training effect. Sometimes I catch myself actually enjoying the hike to the summit!

73 de Martin / HB9GVW

4 Likes

We will both be compiling paper logs in our waterproof notepads for all the activations anyway Jimmy. Looking at the ComReg document, all we’ll need to add to what we would normally record in our notepads, is the time we started CQing and the time we went QRT on each summit. I’d say that makes us 100% compliant - not that anyone will be checking anyway (other than you!).

2 Likes

Looks like from the above, we will need to log all initial CQ calls, each frequency change (ie needing to log when asking if the frequency is in use) and the QRT time also. Just wondering if it is a requirement in EI to log the finish time of each QSO as well as the start time as we usually only log the start time of each QSO. I assume also that it is not mandatory to the name and QTH of each callsign that you work? I have told my dad Tom @M1EYP that he is not to put out any CQ calls while he is driving in EI as I believe that even mobile operation needs to be logged and I am not prepared to log for my dad each time he puts out a CQ call while driving in EI especially as I expect most times they won’t get answered anyway. Also I have downloaded my licence along with the UK, EI and CEPT licensing regulations onto my mobile phone which I believe is sufficient when operating in EI, however if it is mandatory that your licence and the mentioned regulations must be printed out, please let us know so that we make sure that we print these out before we travel over to EI.

Moving from the above, I will now explain about the trip to EI itself. This trip will actually start in GI and the reason for going there to mark the 1 year anniversary of my grandad Jimmy’s death who sadly passed away on the 1st April 2022 in his hometown of Larne in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. Me, my dad Tom M1EYP along with my mum and brother will be travelling to Belfast on the overnight ferry from Birkenhead on Wednesday 29th March and will be staying at a cottage in the outskirts of Larne until Sunday 2nd April. Our visit to Larne will consist of meeting family members who have also travelled to Larne to mark the 1 year anniversary of my grandad Jimmy’s death, visiting his grave and attending a church service in his memory. While staying in Larne, we may activate some SOTA summits in GI/AH.

From Sunday 2nd April until Good Friday 7th April, we will be staying at a cottage in the countryside near to the small town Moville on the Inishowen peninsula in County Donegal, Republic of Ireland. While staying here, me and my dad Tom M1EYP plan to activate some EI/IN SOTA summits on the Inishowen peninsula while will most likely be early mornings and possibly one or 2 all dayers also. I plan to activate these SOTA summits on 2m FM with the back up of 20m/40m SSB/FT4/FT8 and I expect my dad Tom M1EYP to activate these SOTA summits on 20m/30m/40m CW/FT4/FT4 and possibly 2m FM also. SOTA probably unlikely on Tuesday 4th April as this day is my mum’s Birthday. On Good Friday 7th April, we will be travelling back home via the overnight ferry from Belfast to Birkenhead. If anyone has any local knowledge of the EI/IN SOTA summits on the Inishowen peninsula or knows of any good routes up these SOTA summits and best places to park, any such knowledge would be appreciated.

Jimmy M0HGY

4 Likes

Sounds like a fantastic trip JImmy (and Tom). Hopefully the Stormont Parliament will have reformed by then.

73 Phil G4OBK

2 Likes