Easy GW/NW summits?

I am currently recovering from leg surgery in North Wales. I was wondering if there are any EASY summits in the area? Short and flatish? Last week I managed G/SP-013 Gun with no problems. I know this area is very different, but would love to get out there! Does anyone with local knowledge have any suggestions? I have been told moderate exercise is good!

1 Like

NW-070 Great Orme for sure
Maybe (short climb)
NW-062 Hope Mountain
NW-071 Mynydd Bodafon

Good luck, David

4 Likes

I’d add GW/NW-064, Mynydd Rhiw, and GW/NW-076, Mynydd y Cwm.

4 Likes

Thanks for your help!

Martin

I’m currently looking at potential “quick & easy fly by activations” near the border for a night stop on my way back from Scotland (planning to activate Ben Nevis on 14th September if all goes according to plan).

GW/NW-051 is just 500m from the car park, so that could be a potential candidate & might be worth looking at?

1 Like

Also consider Moel Famau - GW/NW-044 - up the other side from the car park

1 Like

@2E0BIA Martin, if you look at the tracks section on the mapping site (or through SOTLAS) you can judge for yourself if those qualify as easy.

2 Likes

I had thought about suggesting that but the tracks posted on the mapping section of the SOTA website all suggest a distance of 2.5km from car park to summit…not what I would consider to be a “short, easy summit for someone recovering from surgery on their leg”.

I suppose the term “easy” is relative. It may be an easy summit for someone in good health but possibly not for for someone who has recently had surgery.

2 Likes

This is NOT easy - very steep.
Rod

4 Likes

GW/NW-044 is flattish (until the last bit) walk taking c 45 mins but the sting is in the tale. Does the fact that they have installed a de-fibrillator just before the last 2 small ascents give you a clue?
Viki M6BWA

3 Likes

I was surprised to see the de-fibrillator on GW/NW-044 i wonder if they have started to appear on other British hills ?.

If you can travel a little further then Billinge Hill G/SP-017 and Gun G/SP-13, are both easy .

1 Like

Last time I did it with a small bag (antenna, pole, handy, coat) I got from the edge of the car park to the top in 23 minutes. Naysmith says 21mins.

Now that was 10 years ago almost to the day. Since then 10 years input from Old Father Time and reduced fitness from Covid lockdown would slow that down a bit despite weighing a bit less now. Anything outside 35mins would have me very worried. I’m still the young side of 60 and 15kgs the wrong side of the weight my diabetic clinic would like to see. So adjust your own figures from here based on age, health, fitness, injuries etc.

It was easy last time I did it. YMMV

1 Like

Thanks, as I mentioned I have done Gun, it is my local hill. I am in Wales whilst I recover from the operation.

Mynydd y Cwm NW-076 would be ideal for you as already mentioned. hope your recovery goes well.

2 Likes

Rather a sad tale behind that one. I was very peripherally involved in it being put in place.

2 Likes

+1 For this. A pleasant walk in the woods. Slightly tricky to erect an antenna at the top in the middle of the trees. But it can be done.

Very quiet spot.

There’s a small memorial to the crew of a crashed military plane on the summit.

Thanks to everyone for their kind suggestions. The good news is I managed to walk up Shining Tor today with Dave M0JKS. Had no problems with the leg after my operation. Unfortunately I did get stung by a wasp (which caused me more pain than my recent surgery).
It was a real boys and toys day with Dave, trying out a few different antennas. I was really impressed with the Viper 2m flowerpot… highlight of the day was a QSO with China on 20m. I heard the guy calling and the subsequent pile up. Thinking what the heck I called back and he picked me out! I nearly fell out of my seat! It was my Xiegu G90 calling home!

4 Likes