Easiest Scottish Borders Summit Please?

I’m looking for the easiest Scottish Borders summit? One I can reach very quickly, if there is such a thing!

TIA

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Try Ros Hill SB-009 for a quick ascent - about 20 minutes for a man with a shackle on this leg… and you can keep an eye on your car from the summit. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Try Ros Hill SB-009 for a quick ascent - about 20 minutes for a man
with a shackle on this leg… and you can keep an eye on your car
from the summit. :slight_smile:

Gerald, you must be a mind reader, brilliant.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

It’s a pleasant hill Mike despite its lowly status. Steep ascent, but short and sweet. Wall at top, but whenever I’ve been there, the wind has run parallel to it. It even managed to hail when I activated it, so I sheltered behind the trig!

You should be okay on 2m FM down to the Newcastle area and down into the Midlands on SSB… if you deign to take a beam. :wink: Have a good activation.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Oops apologies Gerald , I should have said, I need to be on the Scottish side of the Borders, so I can use MM…

Any other thoughts?

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Which side - left or right, east or west? Are you staying up in a particular town?

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

I’m going to the Galashiels Rally (hopefuly, after an admin error on my part). So will be taking M6 to Carlisle then A7 to Galashiels.

Cheers
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hmmm, you drive a hard bargain sir! I’d suggest that you go slightly beyond Galashiels and activate Sell Moor Hill GM/SS-211. Reasonably easy access from the north - read the accounts - about 25 mins. Another hill up there is Black Hill GM/SS-253, but you have to walk around the back to get access up a walkable slope (about 50 mins). If you fancy something with a little more character, try Eildon Mid Hill GM/SS-214.

I’d suggest Calkin Rig GM/SS-196, but it requires a detour off your route… also I’ve not activated that one, so cannot tell you much anything it.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

A7 to Galashiels? It’s not a nice road.

Too much traffic and nowhere to overtake. I’d take the M6/M74/A74(M) to Moffat and then take the A708 to Selkirk then the A7 to Galashiels. There is significantly less traffic on the A708 and you get to drive past the Grey Mare’s Tail waterfall and some lovely hills.

The easiest is Belling Hill SS-244 as it takes 10mins to the top. It’s a little out of the way but you could do it on the way back. It involves taking the A7 down to Hawick (pron. Hoik) then the A6068 to Bonchester Bridge then Chesters. It’s just tadge further up a back road. However, the standard hill for people going to the Galashiels Rally is Meigle Hill SS-212 (pron. Mee-gull). It has a track all the way to the top to access the TX tower so you can get away without boots most of the time. Takes 50mins to the top.

It will be interesting to see how you get on using 2m. 7 activations so far and 12 QSOs on 2m for Meigle Hill and 6 activations and 8 QSOs for Belling Hill. Seriously, you may need a beam.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4OIG:

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for your help, it’s looking like Sell Moor Hill GM/SS-211.

I’d suggest Calkin Rig GM/SS-196, but it requires a detour off your
route…

“Quote GM1ZJQ/P”

"Calkin Rig GM/SS-196 “From car to summit took about 1hr of sweating”

This didn’t exactly do it for me, especially after a rally ;-)))

Cheers Gerald
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
The easiest to access of all the Border summits on the Scottish side has to be SS-244 Belling Hill. A substantial car park at the road side and then about 25 metres of climb and 225 metres of easy walk and you are in the activation zone. However for a VHF activation better to climb a little bit higher and a small beam probably essential. Not too far from the A7 for a route south or even closer to the A68 for that route south.
Hopefully see you there.
73 Jim GØQK

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to G4OIG:

A7 to Galashiels? It’s not a nice road.

Totally agree, dreadful road which seems to take forever…

The easiest is Belling Hill SS-244 as it takes 10mins to the top. It’s
a little out of the way but you could do it on the way back. It
involves taking the A7 down to Hawick (pron. Hoik) then the A6068 to
Bonchester Bridge then Chesters.

Hmmmm, now this is tempting. Daylight is certainly going to be at a premium if/when I leave the rally.

It will be interesting to see how you get on using 2m. 7 activations
so far and 12 QSOs on 2m for Meigle Hill and 6 activations and 8 QSOs
for Belling Hill. Seriously, you may need a beam.

This may just be an HF actvation…

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I agree with the comments on Ros Hill, it’s a bit more than 10 mins to the top but no more than 20 mins (it’s a while since I was there); I managed a contact with Don G0RQL in North Devon on SSB with 5W from there using my home brew 5 ele.

Don’s antenna makes the difference of course!

John GM8OTI

In reply to GM8OTI:

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Looking out for you from G/TW-004 later today.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G0CQK:

Hi Jim, just had my Galashiels Rally table booking confirmed, so I plan to leave early Saturday morning and make a day of it. I’ll try 2m with the collinear as I don’t have a small 2m beam. This will be mainly an HF activation as I have a sked arranged with some Americans. This is all subject to the wx, which right now is pretty grim :frowning:

Hopefully, see you at the rally.

MM6MMM/M