DX S2S attempt - Easter Saturday 31st March 2018

Hi Chris,
I also hear from time to time VK & ZL SSB stations on 40m early morning. Not sure if they are coming Long path or Short Path, I’m sure they have some impressive antenna set-ups though!

Batteries recharged (the rigs and mine) we’ll see what comes tomorrow.

73 and good luck to those who are still able to get out (if not please chase).

Ed.

Sorry all,
I’ve had to bail.

I set off from home at 06:40 local (04:40 UTC) and as I stepped outside, after no rain yesterday or overnight, it started to spit with rain - nothing to worry about I hoped. It’ll stop and even if it doesn’t it’s bearable.

After about 20 minutes driving, the rain had become a constant down-pour, so I pulled into a lay-by to asses whether continuing the 1Hr+ drive was sensible. Looking in the direction I would be going the skies were full of black clouds and at that point the regional weather forecast came on to say the rain would be continuous until about midday at least.

Given that the walking track up to Eisenberg is both steep and slippery even in the dry, it will most likely have been a bog with a river running down it, by the time I got there.

I considered going to a different summit, just to get on but the weather was looking fairly threatening, so no matter where I could have gone, it would have been questionable as to whether I would have got to the summit.

As the SFI hasn’t raised as predicted, it’s still down at 68, I decided the best option was to call off my activation and wait for a better day (Terrestrial and Space weather-wise). actually after returning home, I see that as well as SFI still being at 68, the K index has gone up to 3 so not only haven’t the RF conditions got better, the noise level will also have come up.

For those who are still going out, well done and I wish you success, hopefully you’ll bag some regional S2S contacts if not DX S2S contacts. Then again, I’d be happy to be proved wrong.

Once again, sorry for my last minute cancellation but I think it was the right call after being tired from the three activations I did yesterday.

73 Ed.

Hi All,
weather was not too nice on DM/HE-570 either: Fog, wind and 4°C, but no rain at least.
Following the spots of VK6NU and VK2IO on 20m I could hear something in the noise, but no chance to get through with QRP.

Under these poor conditions, 30m CW seemed to be the only reliable band, allowing ONE DX-s2s-QSO with VK3PF/p (thanks Peter for taking out the straight key) and another DX with ZL1BYZ, both around 06:50 UTC.
Managed some more s2s-QSOs within Europe on different bands (thanks to HB9DQM, HB9AFI,
SP9MA, SV2RUJ and Gerhard, DL4TO).
Looking forward to meeting you all and many more next time!
Chris, DL4FO

3 Likes

Hi Chris

Think I heard you on 30 meters but quite low down, but not a band I would have thought of for a EU Sota Contact. I had an awesome day, will report shortly.

John VK6NU

The Kite antenna did its job at Mt Hotham vk3/ve-006.

Plenty of EU’s heard on 40, but only one worked by me and IIRC Bernard vk2ib bagged 3.
We heard Chris DL4FO working Peter but Bernard was unable to catch him afterwards.

The follow up event on 160m went just as good with 3 s2s and a further 7 in my log.
Warren vk3byd

1 Like

Presumably that was Marko OH9XX - I am fairly certain you were on the key at the time. I heard Manuel HB9DBM/P call you also. I could copy odd bits from you, but you disappeared beneath the noise when my neighbours rolled out of bed and raised the noise level with their electronic gadgetry. Oh for a home QTH in the middle of nowhere! Pity the WX was so bad here otherwise I would have been out on a summit.

I listened around for other VKs where spotted, but you were the only one I copied Warren.

73, Gerald G4OIG

Sounds like 20m was a real struggle all around. We did OK from Mount Banks but had to leave before we lost light (loose scree and a heavy pack seemed like a bad option for torch light) so my last contact was only 0635. It sounds like things might have opened about an hour later. I think I was hearing SV2RUJ but right on the noise floor.

I am now excited to make an EFHW myself (borrowed this one from VK2HHS) and keep pushing for DX. This trip we have settle for a meagre 2000 to 3000km range with lots of contacts from ZL and John from VK6.

If anything it was a walk worth while just to catch the sunset :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi all,
Had a good late afternoon activation. Used an inverted L for 160 m with about 13 m vertical and 27 m sloping down to the NE, 4 counterpoise wires and an LDG tuner with the IC-7000 on 30 W most of the activation.
Great to make a S2S with Chris DL4FO on 30 m. A few other VK S2S contacts and heard several EU stations but was unable to break through the wall. Finished with 3 x S2S on 160 m CW. I packed up in the dying light and came off the summit with the moon rising.
Cheers,
Peter VK3PF

2 Likes

Hi all,

signals of VK2IO in cw and VK6NU in ssb on 20m were unfortunately quite low down. Sometimes I got some fragments of the signals, but this time, there was no chance for a qso.
Tnx for all (europe) chaser-qso’s, and for my s2s-qso’s with Marek, SP9MA/p, Milosz, SP9PND/p, and Chris, DL4FO/p, who gave me the clue to this s2s-event.

I am looking forward to a new chance for a s2s-dx-qso!

73, Gerhard, DL4TO

Thanks for chasing!
From VK2/SY-002 managed a S2S with Manuel HB9DQM on 20m. He heard me on 30m too but could not TX there. Also worked 6 EU chasers and 1 JA. My 20m ground plane gained an extension for 30m for the occasion.

After all the EU activity ended I moved on to the VK top band event. It was quite lively with 15 CW and 5 SSB contacts on 160m. Worked VK2IB and VK3BYD S2S and just missed VK3PF and VK3ARH. Antenna was a double-sized ZS6BKW and I used a 60W linear throughout. One of my “heaviest” activations yet with two 10m masts and 2.5km walk-in. Pictures here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ifBePg5n4YdNJX5j2

Looking forward to the next one!

73, Gerard - VK2IO

1 Like

Quick report from yesterday, was using the KX2 and 10 watts but down to 5 watts with my S2S with HB9DQM/p .
The antenna was a vertical I found details off on the reflector, it was designed by a HB9 sorry can’t remember where I found it. I made up a quick version just for fun but not very light weight for sure. It really works well and will be a keeper for future activations. design is 6m vertical section with 7.1 sloper total 13.1 meters. with 5 x 4 meter radials. feed point about one meter above the ground.

Used the KX2 and tried out my Czech Military straight key.

Made 33 qso’s with several S2S with VK’s worked on different bands and modes. Thanks for all the CW contacts, I really need to improve but hopefully will improve with more qso’s. My log is below with highlight of the day was a Summit to Summit with Manuel HB9DQM/P on HB/ZH-014 for an over 26,000 kms LP qso. the KX2 was down at 5 watts for this contact. Also worked HB9CEX, DJ5AV and EA2LU on 20 LP.

HB9DQM info from Voacap Online

Here is my log, a great day out in bush. thanks to everyone for the contacts.

Look forward to better conditions soon.

73 John VK6NU

1 Like

Thanks for the three S2S contacts, John. First time I’ve worked you on 30m, 20m and 17m in one activation.

That inverted-L antenna design came from HB9CZF here: https://hb9czf.wordpress.com/sota/my-sota-antenna/
Amazing to work you on that antenna. I built one and added a link with an extra 5m section to give better 80m performance. Last year I had it in the EU and used it quite a lot. Mine plugs directly into the radio to avoid coax losses.

73, Gerard - VK2IO

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the one. really impressed with it and with the KX2 with internal ATU band changes are a breeze.

You were probably using that when I worked you from GI land last year and you were in Marseilles. Great to work you on 3 bands yesterday, must try that extra wire for 80 meters.

Really enjoyed yesterday. always good to have you in the log.

73 John VK6NU

Worked you from the 26th Centenary Park, Marseille using that antenna. It was supposed to be a FFF activation except on that day they closed all nearby National Parks due to bushfire risk. Here’s the scene:
New photo by Gerard Hill
73, Gerard - VK2IO

1 Like

And finally, here’s the S2S map for last Saturday (stations have been included if they were spotted between 06:00z and 10:00z, uploaded their Activator Log and had at least one matching S2S with another station). Map shows SP even though contacts were most likely LP.

https://neon1.net/sota/s2sviz/20180331/

This time, at least for me it was even harder work than last time, but it’s good to see that even in such abysmal HF conditions, VK<>EU S2S are still possible given CW, some patience and luck – and on three different bands, as the map shows!

Thanks all, and I’m looking forward to the next event :smile:

73 de Manuel HB9DQM

2 Likes

My activation of Mt Coricudgy was an unmitigated disaster. Coricudy is only accessible via a truely very steep track up which I pushed a bicycle laden with all gear for overnight camping.

There is no water to be found at Coricudy but had read of water being on an eastern track which I went searching for and found although quite a distance from the summit.

Lost a lot of time and arrived at the summit late about 5.30pm. Hastily strung up the dipole, pulled out the KX3 and found to my disgust I had forgotten the battery cable.
This cable is generic to the KX3 and normally sits in the radio box and cannot remember taking it out for whatever reason.

There is very poor mobile phone coverage at Coricudgy, barely one bar and on this occassion for some unknown reason could barely even get that.
So gave up trying to notify chasers that the activation was a non event, the phone just would not work.

That was the end of this activation, next morning left in disgust. Even had an encounter with wild dogs when pedaling along the Coricudy plateau which was interesting.

73’s Wal VK2WP

1 Like

Hi Manuel

It was great to work you and the bands are much more alive than people think. Like my mate said since everyone went on FT8 the bands seem dead. Well they are if no one is out there using them.

Sota at least proves the bands are not dead, someone just needs to call CQ.

John VK6NU

1 Like

Worst I’ve done Wal was to forget my lead between the paddle and the radio. This was a bummer as I was hoping to contact Colin M1BUU and there was a good chance we might have made it.

Had noticed you were missing on Saturday, wild dogs bet that was scary.

John VK6NU

Hi Manuel,
I tried calling you several times on CW during the late afternoon here, but could not break through to you. At least I tried… Slower CW from me & sounded like lots of callers calling you.
Cheers,
Peter VK3PF

Hi Peter,

It sounds like you heard me better than I heard you… There were several times during the activation when I thought I heard something in the noise, but couldn’t make out any characters – I thought I was going crazy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
But thanks for trying anyway! Hopefully it will work out next time.

vy 73,

Manuel HB9DQM