Dup Summit Ref in F

Dear Whoever it is I am supposed to talk to!

I thought I might post here, for lack of knowing what else to do, and because I need advice. Perhaps an email to the M.T. would be more appropriate, but as it is not a contentious issue, I felt it safe to raise it here and hopefully gain said advice!

Tomorrow (04 Sept) I am going to attempt a HF activation of the SOTA summit I live on the side of in Southern France. It is known locally as both Mont Lozére and (more precisely) as Sommet de Finiels. However, this is where the confusion lies - it is listed in the databse as both F/MC-195 Mont Lozére and F/MC-196 Sommet de Finiels. Does not compute! Further investigation on the SOTA F website leads me to a 404 error for the page pertaining to department 48 (where the summit is located). Also I speak next to no French, certainly not enough to raise it with anyone within SOTA F. Thus my post here.

It has already been activated (almost excactly a year ago) as '196 - so my question is can I activate is as '195 as a unique or not? I’m confused!

I will be active on 20m and 40m using the 817, though I do not fancy my chances among the All Asian DX Contest :frowning: At least its a good walk!

Dave F/M0MYA/P

Looking at Google Earth the two spot points for F/MC-195 and F/MC-916 are in different positions, but I am not convinced that either are actually the highest point or indeed seperated by any meaningful Col.

I guess this is another anomoly.

I would say that as they are both listed in the Database (and presumably the F-ARM) then you are entitled to activate either one until such time as this is resolved (or until the RM / MT say something to the contrary).

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to M0MYA:
Bon Chance with the activation of whichever, Dave. A good day for 18MHz if there is an intense contest on?
David M0YDH

For your immediate answer, I suggest you send a direct email to the France Association Manager.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M0MYA:

Perhaps you should just activate under both references (and claim two lots of points) before anyone else notices the anomaly and one of the summits gets deleted.

Rick

In reply to M0MYA:

Hi Dave

Few months ago, we changed the summit presentation by departments to regions on the SOTA FRANCE website (french side); but we didn’t update the English side… sri ! that’s why you got an error.
So you have to go on the french part of the website and choose MC region.
Now about MC-196, it seems to be a dupe. So it should be deleted, and you have to choose the Mont Lozère which is the main summit in this area.

But sri, I’m not the RM F/MC manager (I’m no longer RM of any French region) and I’m not sure that F summits are managed yet.

Good luck for tomorrow !

73 Alain F6ENO

In reply to F6ENO:

Merci beaucoup, Alain! I’ll do exactly that.

David: You may well be right, but I’ve only ever had one QSO on that band, at 400W from the QTH (and using the callsign of) John GW4BVE. Now there’s a little bit of (off list) synchronicity for you!

Thank you all and hope to ctach you in the gaps between the big guns tomorrow.

Dave F/M0MYA/P