Drake Howe G/TW-002 Activation 24th August G4CMZ/P

We parked up at the Lords Stones Cafe car park at 9.00z. What a setting for a cafe!

Loaded up all the gear, and started the ascent in a gentle steady manner as my sherpa/XYL was carrying an injury to her thigh. It was quite misty and slippery.
As we approached the summit, the mist was starting to burn off and the views of the Tyne estuary were breathtaking. What a wonderful hobby!

At the summit I quickly set up the station, and got settled down for the pile up.
The activation was going to be 7Mhz CW with 5 Watts to an inverted vee at 5 metres.
First contact was with DK2JK/P S2S on DM/NW200 quickly followed by DL2EF,PA0WDG and ON4FI. Unfortunately after that it was slow going, due to tastier offerings either side of me I think.

After 45 minutes of operation and 15 minutes of no takers, I decided to wrap up proceedings. Also by now a multitude of flies had made a resurgence from within the heather due the sun finally making its welcome appearance.

In total I made 9 contacts. Apologies to G3VXJ and DL5AV you were 599 one second then gone the next. Also many thanks to ON4FI for spotting me.

Back at base camp we enjoyed a lovely meal in the Lords Stones Cafe.

This little outing has certainly whetted my appetite for another expedition.

73 es GL to all de Kev G4CMZ

In reply to G4CMZ:
Well done Kev, I agree, it is certainly a great place for a pleasant walk and SOTA activation.

I really enjoyed my activation time on Drake Howe earlier in the year, I enjoyed it so much I went back again 10 days later with the xyl!

GL/73
Nick G4OOE

In reply to G4CMZ:

A nice summit, one I do when visiting the parents, however you`ll need the hubble telescope to see the river Tyne from there whereas the Tees makes a good back drop.

In reply to G1INK:
Thanks for the geographical correction Steve, it made me chuckle. In my defence,
it was a very misty morning until the sun appeared.