"Doing QSO" without listening

In reply to G4SSH:

Here Here !!

I am totally in agreement with all Roy’s points, all this fuss and extra work for one over enthusiastic OM station (have a look at his web page)and one or two others who could display some better operating practices.

If extra work is sought, an activator find function would be extremely usefull when checking our logs.

73 de Ken G3XQE

In reply to G3TJE:

I wonder if this ‘particular station’ is not CW competent?

I did a bit of sleuthing, at least one of the non-starred contacts is the result of getting the callsign wrong (a 2 read as a 1) so maybe you are correct.

In reply to G4SSH:
Hi all,
Roy’s right, talk is already a little out of control. Andy has solutions to improve the correctness of entries will be presented and, if implemented, could help you.
I myself also confirm that the activation of some overhead is already enough, not to mention it still QSL agenda, where someone would want to collect a new card for every my activated hill… :slight_smile: (Sorry for all pending QSL, but finally I have my cards for the call OK3EQ in print …)

It is not even always possible to ascertain the correct data. Eg. paper logs have only about two months ago, the older I have liquidated. Some leaves had been marked by the weather, etc. I suppose just as many activators of their paper logs throws after the time.
But I absolutely believe that the vast majority of participants are honest and mistakes are not intentional. Applications considered changes then those honest help those few dishonest cheating more difficult.

Since everything important has already been said, I propose to close this discussion.

Thank you all and look forward to new connections and fellowship on the hills through the radio.
73 Petr OK3EQ

In reply to OK3EQ:

Hi Petr and all the rest.
Much has been said about this trouble that I have also experienced myself.

Everyone knows if he is holding an Award gathered with real QSOs or not…

The only real problem I see is if we should convince some specific operators to work in a proper way (i.e. avoid double calls, listen, call only when you RX, don’t add the name of the activator in their call…) , especially if they bother an activator and make him wasting his time up in the mountain delaying others in the queue and his return home.

May I suggest that for some operators clearly in this situation somebody could write a polite e-mail to request a change of behaviour explaining the advantages of that?
Maybe the MT, or maybe the local Sota coordinator in the Area where the operator lives…?

Perhaps a simple letter could solve some of our troubles.
Let me offer myself in case it’s appropriate to advice how to write a letter here in my area.

Best 73 and let’s keep a sane SOTA spirit.
Ignacio EA2BD

In reply to EA2BD:
Consider tailoring DX Code of Conduct to SOTA and insert as a “pane” or “window” on the SOTA web site. http://dx-code.org/
Cheers
Pete

In reply to WH6LE:

I am actually working on something along those lines, although tailored to the mountain environment. The ideas are easy enough, keeping the wording simple and direct is making me think!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to EA2BD:

The only real problem I see is if we should convince some specific operators to work in a proper way (i.e. avoid double calls, listen, call only when you RX, don’t add the name of the activator in their call…)

All good advice, but it will be a sad day if names are dropped from SOTA QSOs. I always get pleasure from reading my name as part of the exchange and I try to reciprocate. Surely to go back to say, Roy G4SSH and say GM Roy before giving the report adds very little to the exchange. I for one will continue to do this when I can recall names to mind. Besides, it is another way of confirming I am working Roy and not someone else… provided of course the other chasers on the frequency are listening.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to KD9KC:

I did notice that I can only see my unconfirmed for this past 12
months. Looking at the entire log doesn’t show any ***s. Asking for
uncomfirmed only seems to get the last 12 months. What am I missing?

Select a year from the drop down list and check “unconfirmed only”

Colin G8TMV

In reply to G4OIG:

Hi Gerald,

I agree completely with you but I meant a different thing. Just to be clear with my comment:
one thing is if you add the name once the qso has been stablished (in fact I find very nice to add the name of the chaser when I recall it), and a different thing is when a chaser calls the activator with his own call and add altogether the name of the activator he is trying to get in contact with…
This last thing I find it out of adequate, taking into account there are other chasers calling at the same time and he is not sure yet if his call has been recognised.

Hope it’s better explained now. Cheerio 73
Ignacio

In reply to EA2BD:

Hi Ignacio,

Yes, I agree entirely. However, I must say that I don’t ever recall anyone sending my name when calling to establish a contact, but it seems it must happen.

Quite often when there are many stations calling, I find it impossible to make out a single call, particularly if they are netted precisely and are about the same strength. Then someone will send their callsign just once and I have someone to work. Other ways of standing out from the crowd are to send slightly off frequency or slower. The main problem that I experience is when people do not appear to be listening. When it has got bad with people calling when I am already in QSO with someone, then I request order and usually it all calms down. It appears that they have been listening, but not carefully enough!

73, Gerald G4OIG