Discovery TX500 (Part 1)

Nope,

This is problem with AGC in G90 (firmware). If I turn off AGC it will be a little bit noisy than sw2017 but enabled AGC adds significant amount of noise.

To be honest, RF Gain was set to minimum value 1% on Xiegu G90 in the video.

You can also notice that Xiegu G90 S-meter reports something about S7 but mini sw2017 S-meter shows something about S9+15 when the same OP say hello. This means that sensitivity of sw2017 is better than G90. And this is not a QRN or signal level changes.

G90 is a little noisy and a little deaf transceiver, this is pity but true. You can check Receiver Test Data list there G90 is in the bottom of the list for receiver Sensitivity.

My DIY mini sw2017 has sensitivity about 0.35uV comparing with G90 with 1.0uV when RF Gain set 50%. With RF Gain 1% G90 Sensitivity will be worse.

Such hiss noise is common problem of Xiegu products, read comments here:
The new Xiegu X6100 portable HF transceiver: Yes, it’s real and no it’s not vaporware | Q R P e r

Part of them contains info about hissy noise for X5105 and G90.

I also very long used G90 (about a year) and after 10-15 minutes got tired by audio noise even during very noise quiet evenings. I was bribed by the rich functionality of G90, but it was impossible to use G90 with headphones which my main user case.

The only strong point of Xiegu G90 is price =)

But anyway, I just shared my experience with Xiegu G90 (deaf, buggy firmware, noisy audio), but it just personal preferences. Someone can say that it’s valuable transceiver for it price. May be, but not for me, I am happy that sold it.

I’d also like to say that I’m very impressed with your homebrew transceiver, Yury. Very professional looking!

VK2STG, thank you. But this transceiver is designed/developed by UR3LMZ and VERY popular in back USSR countries due to good specs for portable use (some more info herehttps://www.qrz.com/db/EW1AEI). I am only some kind of kit builder/improver.

Now, say everything about G90 and would like to stop off-topic from my side.

Hi Andrew,

I didn’t test the TX-500 with Hi-Fi headphones, since I’ll never take them with me to a summit :wink: but I just tried it at home with my not too bad in-ear headphones and a compromised antenna with typical human-made noise in the city.

Of course, one can hear noise, (probably) also from the AF amplifier when cranking up the volume (it can deliver up to 3W AF output power!), but as soon you plug in the antenna, the noise gets much stronger.

Also when maxing the volume without connecting the antenna, the filters and the equalizer allow to mute the higher frequencies, which shows that this noise mainly origins from before the AF amplifier.

To me it’s all in the expected and normal range. So if one doesn’t like the high noise that you call “hiss”, just reduce the higher frequency response, as some of us did ages ago when playing a tape that was recorded with Dolby NR/B :sweat_smile:.

73 Stephan

1 Like

This also can be achieved by soldering 22-47nF capacitor from input audio amplifier to ground in some rigs like FT-817 or FT-857 or any where you have. This mod cuts high part of audio frequencies in the same way as equalizer does in TX-500.

1 Like

Hi Yury,

You have a lot of experience with the G90, and you even improved it with several mods (as seen on your QRZ page), so I think you had good reasons to sell it at the end. It simply didn’t fulfill your expectations in some fields.

Firmware that is closed-source and not maintained by the selling company is a pain…, it basically voids the value of the hardware. Until now, Lab599 was very good in this respect, but time will tell.
BTW: I’m amazed by Icom lately, by how much energy they put in maintaining their firmware.

I don’t own and never used any Xiegu transceiver, so I’m not the right person to discuss about it.

My point was simply by observation of the shown behavior: you switched the device on and it produced a lot of noise/hiss initially, while it was probably still in the boot process and not necessarily yet applying all the parameters correctly (e.g. the RF-gain). Moments later, to me, it seemed the AGC kicked in and it behaved properly.
Difficult to judge from a few seconds video.

Also, this sw2017 seems a very interesting and capable transceiver, as far as I can judge from the videos.

Back to the topic: if you’re interested in the TX-500, the best would be if you could join somebody in your vicinity and test this rig yourself, before buying it. But realistically, this might be problematic, as many hams are still waiting for it. Since I ordered and payed it, I waited for about one year to get it finally delivered from Sweden.

73 Stephan

1 Like

Stephan, Thank you!

if you’re interested in the TX-500, the best would be if you could join somebody in your vicinity and test this rig yourself, before buying it.

It seems to me the best variant.

Due to fact that I sold most of my RIGs (G90, some yeasu) and left only DIY ones like mini sw2017, QCX, etc I am looking for good portable RIG with reach set of features (at least current use, different filters, NB, DNR, etc).

There are few candidates like:

• TX500 - very like it, best candidate for now, that is why so much attention to it from my side
  • FT-891 - very like receiver and overall, but a little bit heavy and 1A on RX requires big battery
  • KX2 - also like, but expensive and hard to order in my QTH
1 Like

Just a note about the noise reduction of the TX-500:
For SSB it’s basically useless, but honestly, to me all these NR-solutions that I heard until now, when they actually reduce the noise, make the signal sound terrible.
I just accept the noise (or filter it out in my brain), similar like people buy vinyl records again :laughing:

To me, the most important requirements for an outdoor radio to be carried for longer hikes is it’s weight, robustness, usability and then the technical capabilies. OK, it should support 60m :smiley:.

73 Stephan

3 Likes

We’re trying to get away from talking about other radios than the TX500 but just on this point, Xiegu released the v 1.77b firmware upgrade for the G90 on the 17th July 2021. No major changes or additions, but ongoing maintenance is happening on this radio’s firmware when needed.
73 Ed.

1 Like

Hi all,

I just uploaded a video (that took some time!) that shows some features of the TX-500 during two activations I did yesterday on FL/VO-087 and FL/VO-008:

Please keep in mind, that it was spontaneously filmed with my smartphone, which I use for logging, so no footage of the live QSOs, but probably enough to hear the sound of the rig, as well as seeing the nice nature of the Vosges region.

73 Stephan

8 Likes

Stephan, thank you for good video. This is very helpful.

1 Like

Hi all,

After I activated 17 summits using this transceiver in SSB-mode, the points in my previous post are still valid and I don’t regret that I bought this rig.
When travelling by plane, I prefer the FT-818 due to its contained 30Wh LiPo and therefore less chance for trouble during the security inspection. Another solution could be my Chinese power bank with the three swappable 18650 LiIon cells, since the rig should work down to 9V. I tested it with 9.5V, where it still delivers about 7W RF output power.

Some refined or additional points:

• I used it twice without any protection in the rain. It’s really built for rough environments and you don’t have to be worried about ingress. But it’s not IP-certified, probably because of the involved costs. I still have to test it in the cold with deep snow, but I guess this evaluation was already done in Siberia by the manufacturer :cold_face:

• When transmitting with the full 10W RF output-power for longer periods in the sun, the device gets very hot. But thanks to it’s aluminum alloy body and it’s black anodized surface that acts as big heat sink, I never could make it overheat. If so, according to the test videos, it would reduce the TX output power.

• It’s useful to have voice memories. Especially the sentence “is this frequency in use…?” is handy to transmit prior to sending out a spot, by simply pressing a function button. Unfortunately, this sentence only helps if the other party is listening on the frequency before transmitting :wink:

• The usability is very good and the button layout and menu structure makes sense to me.

• The transceiver allows to TX according IARU region 2 band plan, with one exception: on the 60-meter band, the range is 5330.5-5405kHz USB.

• The measured SWR values are too optimistic.
    Since the last firmware update, there is also the possibility to produce an SWR-graph, similar like the IC-705 does. Of course this graph cannot compete with an analyzer, is not very well readable, and like the SWR measurement, it is not exact. But compared to the FT-817/818, it’s a big improvement.
    Last Saturday, while doing an activation, I made a short video, where I compared this graph and its SWR values with my analyzer: Lab599 TX-500 Transceiver Tests after Firmware Update to Version 1.10.04 - YouTube

73 Stephan

15 Likes

Thank you Stephan, I really appreciate your evaluation of this transceiver. I’m sure there are a lot of SOTA folk interested in how it performs for our particular use of the technology, and at some point we will all make the decision between an IC-705 or TX500, regardless of whether we can actually afford either :grinning: :weary:

For those of us that have settled on the FT-817 we need a very good reason to switch :rofl:

Regards, Mark

3 Likes

FT-817/FT-818 is time proved work horse. But from IMO Yeasu need to release RIG with portability like FT-817 but with adjustable filters, DNR, APF, etc. I would say QRP version of FT-891 with smaller form factor.

For me, I rise both hands for TX-500.

2 Likes

Don’t doubt it! :wink: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hi All! Recently, I made a convenient and durable case for the TX500 on my CNC. Materials: water-resistant construction plywood, lightweight and durable thin (1.5 mm) aviation plywood. Strengthening and water-repellent impregnation: Larit epoxy resin, diluted with acetone for fluidity.

The weight of the case is only 150 grams. Of course, this is not metal, but the pencil case turned out to be very strong for carrying the TX500 in a hiking backpack. It can also be used as a stand-table for the TX500 and cover with a lid the display of solar glare, and the transceiver from hot sunlight. I’m going on a mountain hike soon. This is a good opportunity to check the convenience and reliability of the case. :wink:

10 Likes

Good job, Sergey!
It needs to be decorated )
73!
Vlad

1 Like

TNX, Vlad! There is no need for decoration. It’s not for an exhibition. A decorated case will be a pity to wear on hikes. It will have to be put on the mantelpiece and admired. :grin:

Hi Sergey

I noticed that your paddle has very durable wire.
On the other side, GX adapter looks tiny thus, I would solder one end of yellow cable to GX =) (do not carry any adapters =)

I’ve had my TX-500 for a few days now and I really like it. So far I have made about 10 or so CW contacts and the radio performs well. I only have a few issues with it and they are probably me-centric. I do not like the speaker mike. I was in Army Aviation for quite a few years and my hearing is not what it used to be. With ear buds, or a headset, it is just fine. I have a Heil Proset, Media Pro on the way which will plug right into the TX-500 with the speaker/mic adapter. I have also used it with a small external speaker and there is plenty of volume available. In the field I will use earbuds or a headset.

QSK is not really QSK. I am not a great CW op but I enjoy the mode. When using Iambic paddles, anything less than 300ms delay causes errors (for me). I started at 100ms and I made more errors than I normally make. Once I figured out it was the delay and I bumped it up to 300ms, all was well.

I am not an audiophile so I did not hear any unusual noises or clicks. I found the receiver to be quite sensitive as I was able to hear and work signals down around the S1 level. I would say that the receiver hears beyond the transmitter range. The filters are also excellent, cranking them down when there was an adjacent CW signal knocked it out.

This is not a scientific review, just a normal guy doing normal things with the radio. I did buy some 3-d printed covers for the screen and knobs which I will attach with rubber bands and then toss the radio into the backpack. I really like this radio, it is a lot of fun to use. Here is a video of a flight deck I put together for the TX-500. TX-500 Flight Deck

8 Likes

Yes, Yuri, thank you. Immediately after buying the transceiver, I decided to redo the headphone and CW manipulator cables so that I could do without adapters. Connectors are needed for this purpose. I ordered the necessary connectors on AliExpress and they were received by me a long time ago. But in the summer there was no time to deal with this topic - there were many trips to activate RDA and other things. Now there is more time and, of course, I will do what I have planned. Thank you for advice. :ok_hand: :grinning:

2 Likes

I hope this is ok, I wanted to add to this discussion. Here is my first review of the one I got over the weekend. I know the activation towards the end of the video isn’t SOTA; my QTH is 4 hours from a SOTA peak, but 3 miles from a POTA park. Hope someone here may find it useful

5 Likes