Discovery TX500 (Part 2)

Do you think so?

I got goosebumps during the Isle of Man Classic TT or the overture to Wagner’s Rheingold… and much more. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

… it’s also good to just feel like a child again.

73 Armin

4 Likes

Believe me, the last thing you’re thinking about as your eyeballs are pushed to the back of their sockets and the world outside becomes hyperspace blur is the noise being made! :grimacing:

1 Like

Datsun 120Y with an aftermarket surplus RR Merlin? That’d hit your requirement for lots of noise^Wperformance :slight_smile:

My first car was a 120Y. Unburstable mechanics but sadly very susceptible to tin worm .

Hey, music is noise! If some music doesn’t affect you emotionally you have something missing in your life!

3 Likes

You don’t so much hear the ‘singles’ go past as feel them in the chest. Some noises go way beyond mere audio stimulation! Bit like that last AC/DC concert…

<off topic!> After being in a Sea King flying sideways over the dam at Cow Green in Teesdale and down Cauldron Snout with an engine noise so loud conversation was impossible with the winch door open with lots of fresh air between the canvas seat I was strapped in and the waterfall, four wheel experiences seem a bit tame… ( At the time I was on a Rescue Team not a casualty… and then Sea King was the RAF…)

3 Likes

You should discuss your statement with a musician.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

“Hey, music is noise!”

1 Like

The old tin worm was a scourge. I think you can get tablets for it now.
[Redirecting...] Sorry I could only find it on FB

Speaking! I play sax and clarinet, in the past in orchestras, theatre bands, dance bands and jazz bands, so yes, I know that music is noise, though organised noise, both in pitch and timbre, and heavy metal can be felt in the gut as well as heard!

1 Like

Back to the TX-500, I’ve discovered a bug in the CW keyer: they’ve got modes A & B swapped.

This can be proved with a simple test:

• Set the keyer to a low speed, say 6wpm (30 cpm on the TX-500 menu)
  • Start squeeze keying a ‘C’ but let go of both paddles whilst the second dash is being sent and before it finishes

The correct behaviour is that an iambic mode A Keyer will stop after the dash, leaving you with a ‘K’, because it makes its next decision at the end of that dash. Whereas a mode B Keyer will send the desired ‘C’ because its dot/dash memory was reset at the beginning of the second dash prior to the paddle release.

My TX-500 running software version 1.12.0 does exactly the opposite :roll_eyes:, which confused the hell of me for a while switching between my practise keyer, the IC-705 and TX-500.

Still love the radio, but I need to leave the menu configured for mode “A” to really be in mode B and in harmony with the rest of my world :slight_smile:

Jonathan

1 Like

Didn’t manage to get it on hill yet and we have a fault, finished a QSO with Moscow(C19 in bed radio at beside with EFHW & a T1) then it went quite, but there was a hiss coming through the Mic speaker of the Tx500 when you TX curious, spoke with Nevada & agreed to re-flash, the sound returned (all things still work) but the hiss is now mixed with a squeal, on its way back tomorrow, will post update. Back to to KX2 for now.

1 Like

Electret or dynamic Mic version of the BM17 cheers.

I’m sure you’ve checked this, have you accidentally enabled the monitor function whilst using SSB? It can only be used for CW with the speaker mic as otherwise you get audio feedback.

Hope you recover from the C19 quickly!

73, Jonathan

Thank you Jonathan, no one has yet come up with that one, I shall check on my return tonight.

Regards
Damian.

1 Like

I’ve been trying further to understand the CW keyer on the TX-500. After finding the iambic modes are swapped (I’ve been talking to Lab599 support and they have been very responsive and sound like they have understood the issue), I turned my attention to the CW speed menu option. This is bizarrely supposedly in units of characters per minute, so using the usual PARIS standard should mean that dividing the menu number by 5 gives you the speed in WPM.

I noticed that I was getting perhaps 1 or 2 WPM slower than expected by doing this, so I recorded bursts of dots at varying speeds and measured the dot durations. Linear analysis gave me the following formula for conversion between WPM and menu setting:

Menu setting = 4.92 + (5.41 * WPM)

I now get speeds that sound the same as those selected on my Icom rig:

I realise that:

• I should just twiddle the knob until the speed sounds about right
  • I need to get out more

Jonathan

10 Likes

Interesting results, Jonathan.
I’ve been going by the rough rule that 100 CPM on the TX-500 is roughly 18 WPM and every 5CPM increase from there is about another 1 WPM increase. This works well for my limited speed range…
I do wish they would sort the CW memories out though. At the moment they play a recording of the sent message which has its speed fixed at whatever it was when recorded. Playback speed should change with the CW keyer speed. They did say they were looking at re-working the CW engine when asked.
It’s a great little radio though. Mine had its first SOTA activation last weekend. It performed better in the cold than I did.

1 Like

Hello Ronan, welcome to the reflector!

Yes agreed, the CW code does need some work, although its quite useable as is (I’ve mainly used the TX-500 in CW mode so far). There’s one other issue that I haven’t quite managed to put my finger on yet. I think its a little more fussy on key timing than my IC-705 and also the practise keyer that I coded myself. I need to get the 'scope out and try to suss out what the issue is, or whether I’m just imaging it.

I’m trying to get my CW back after a 40 year break, so its entirely possible the problem is at my end! :slight_smile:

73, Jonathan

1 Like

Ha ha… that did make me laugh out loud… I know what you mean… I often get into the weeds of a problem and three hours later think “why did I do that?”.

3 Likes