Disaster!

In reply to G7LAS:

I hope it doesn’t put Ben off the hills for life, and thank goodness its milk teeth.

This is a reminder for us all that SOTA takes us to hills in areas where there is no organised Mountain Rescue: if it had happened on a minor hill in Snowdonia or LD the MR boys would have been with you in a quarter of the time and have stretchered him down to the access point!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G7LAS:
You poor people. I hope Ben gets better soon. This mirrors my own experience of calling 999 from the slopes of GW/MW-027 in 2009 as recorded elsewhere on the reflector. 999 operators don’t understand THE COUNTRYSIDE, footpaths or national grid references.
What happens if you call 112 instead? Does that service triangulate your position within a phone cell? And call the fire brigade to get casualty off the slope?

David M0YDH

David : “999 operators don’t understand THE COUNTRYSIDE, footpaths or national grid references.”

Yes… exactly what I found. This, apart from the obvious injury was the bit that concerned me most about the whole thing.

In reply to G7LAS:

Very sorry to hear about this episode. I think I would be considering making a complaint about the lack of response from the medical services. Why was a paramedic not sent up the hill to dispense initial treatment on the spot and determine the best means of getting Ben off the hill? It is not as though Bardon is at all remote and the climb from Vercors Close isn’t steep.

Pleased to hear Ben is fixed up, but what an experience for you both!

73, Gerald G4OIG