Deleting SOTAData Uploads

One of the regular questions that gets asked around here is how to delete an upload when people discover an error in it. Deleting has to be completed prior to reuploading or duplicate chaser entries will occur, or the upload will not be permitted in the case of duplicate activations. S2S entries need to be deleted in different locations, which makes things awkward and difficult if there is a large number of QSOs in an activation that were S2S and need deleting in order to fix them.

To smooth that over, I’ve just pushed a change to the database and API that provides a way to delete an entire upload in one go.

From now on, any updates via CSV or ADIF, or via the apps that support log upload, will be tagged as an upload, and be visible from the Manage Uploads menu, located under the Submit Logs menu.

From here, you can select uploads and delete them. If you delete an upload, all S2S, Chaser and Activation logs from that upload will be deleted. You can then re-upload the CSV or ADIF.

Please note that this will not pick up old uploads. Only ones from this point on. I know someone is going to ask “I looked at the page and all it says is ‘No uploads found’ and I uploaded something last week! Why isn’t it there?” and I may be forced to respond with withering sarcasm. Your old uploads will not appear. Only ones from this point on.

12 Likes

Andrew

That will come in very handy occasionally. thanks for doing that.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

Excellent! Thanks for doing this.
Scott kw4jm

Thanks for this improvement, on several occasions i had to delete all S2S before being able to upload the corrected files. Very useful.

An even better solution would be if an uploaded file could be edited ! Any chance this can be done someday ?

73 s Bruno HB9CBR

Can I be cheeky and say that if it’s not obvious to users as the point when they want to do it that they will not be searching here for a “how to” but they will be posting here or emailing you.

Many thanks. An excellent new feature. :hiking_boot:

Ron, KI4TN

manage

1 Like

Andrew,

Thank you for this significant improvement!

This is especially helpful to those of us with large logs and many S2S contacts.

My recent logs have become larger, perhaps because of a general increase in chasers, as well as more people with time to activate and chase due to the Pandemic.

The probability of an error requiring correction increases as the number of log entries increases. In particular, the probability that I will make various errors increases, as well as the chances of other external errors: incorrectly reported summit refs, forbidden summits, and summits not actually activated, etc.

The changes of the new SOTA Database have pushed me to upload CSV files created with the SOTA CSV Log Editor,and this change has saved me considerable time and frustration. Since logs are easy to edit before uploading, I catch most of my own mistakes. When a log does need to be corrected in the Database, usually due to new knowledge about an entry, it’s no problem to delete the log and upload a corrected CSV from the Editor.

However, deleting groups of S2S contacts, sometimes more than a dozen per activation, was quite the hassle.

I will be one of the primary beneficiaries of your recent improvement - I thank you for your extra effort!

Hopefully this will help make logging S2S contacts easier for all, and perhaps increase participation in this game-within-a-game part of SOTA.

Like some other activators, I have found that while I really enjoy climbing mountains, doing routine activations and submitting large logs are not always fun and cheers. However, trying to make elusive S2S contacts with many activators has never been so much fun - considerable skill and incredible patience are essential. Many activators, including some of the best of the MG Herd, are missing out on some of the S2S thrills, perhaps because of the tricky hassles of logging and managing these contacts.

Your work will make the S2S part of SOTA more fun and hopefully encourage more activators to participate seriously! The more the better!

You have made my day!

KX0R

1 Like

Excellent new feature Andrew, thank you. I like it.

I do agree with Bruno’s request that the file be able to be downloaded and viewed/edited before being deleted otherwise it’s almost like deleting something blind.

Perhaps at least display the file been deleted as part of the delete process like when you upload files but been able to download and work on it would be extra excellent.

I really don’t think you don’t need to download it… it’s the file you uploaded in the first place. The file that you originate that’s on your computer, the file that gets edited and when uploaded again gives problems.

It’s not nearly as straightforward as that as the file is not actually uploaded to the server - it’s converted to a format that the server can then insert into the database.

Having said that, I am considering how that might be workable to download the CSV but it’s in the too hard basket for the first iteration and I figured good enough is better than perfect.

Regarding editing individual QSOs in an activation, a lot of the framework is in place to that but it puts a tremendous load on the server if someone deletes several QSOs one at a time in a short period.

All solvable but needs more thought at this point.

1 Like

Is displaying the entries associated to the delete before they are deleted doable? At least that would be visual confirmation of what your binning before you bin it.

Doable, but again, will need some thought.

1 Like

I’m trying to understand the point. Based on the quoted section, you’re talking about the previous state? In which case, as Andy and my posts point out - we now have a solution to this. Or are you saying the upload delete isn’t obvious even after the fact?

1 Like

It’s good now! Thanks. I misread your initial post - sorry.

Thanks Andrew for realising it! :slightly_smiling_face:

And wishing you the good thoughts mentioned for the trickier topic. :high_brightness:

Mni tnx es vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

(Data is test data, so apologies to the random folks in my logs that end up in my test files)

1 Like

There should now be a download option next to each upload to download as CSV. I am not planning to offer ADIF download at this point.