Declaring on 45

…consecutive days of SOTA activating (minus one, Jimmy has spotted and notified the deliberate mistake!). From 23rd May to 5th July inclusive, I have conducted one (or more) SOTA activation(s) each day. In the 44 days, I did 52 summit activations on 10 different (unique) summits. I earned myself the enormous total of 14 activator points in the process, and made 1385 activator QSOs. These were distributed as follows:

G/SP-002 — 14
G/SP-013 — 361
G/SP-015 — 873
G/WB-021 — 15
GW/NW-040 – 66
GW/SW-011 – 23
GW/SW-013 – 15
GW/SW-016 – 6
GW/SW-023 – 5
GW/SW-026 – 7

80m — 14
40m — 157
30m — 150
20m — 632
17m — 21
15m — 2
12m — 3
10m — 10
6m ---- 107
2m ---- 223
70cm – 66

FM ---- 55
SSB — 336
CW ---- 994

The sequence is now at an end, not through lack of enthusiasm (as if!), but work and other circumstances. There might not even be another activation until Sunday now!!!

Anyway, here follows the report of that last one, the 52nd activation on the 44th day:

Tuesday 5th July 2011, and the 2m session of the RSGB UK Activity Contest series. These contests have become incredibly popular this year, and rightly so. They are ideally timed and scheduled to encourage high participation levels, and those levels just keep going up.

So it looked set to be another busy night. I chatted to Peter G4FPJ, who would also be submitting a log on behalf of the Macclesfield & DRS, on 2m FM mobile on the drive south. Another time of exactly 7 minutes was recorded for the ascent, as my fitness remains good. Set up was a little slower than intended due to large groups of runners passing over the summit and asking questions. I always try to show enthusiasm that they have asked, although this sometimes requires a little “acting”, especially when it gets to around 7.50pm BST!

I decided to start by running, and beaming north with the SB5. This resulted in reaching serial number 035 within the first half hour, but mainly in IO83 as the multipliers were slow to get moving. The 15* squares worked included some welcome surprises, with a few rare ones: IO64, IO65*, IO72, IO73, IO74, IO75, IO80, IO81, IO82, IO83, IO91, IO92, IO93, IO94, JO01 and JO03. *Of course, only UK multipliers count in this contest, so EI9JU in IO65 (County Donegal) did not get me a mult, although it was my best DX at over 400km.

There were some unwelcome surprises as well, with nothing in the log, unusually, from IO84, IO85 or JO02. M0GHZ/P in IO90 disappeared just as I found him. One of these days I will get 20 multipliers in the 2m UKAC, but not on this occasion!

So the final reckoning was 85 QSOs in 16 squares (15 counting as multipliers), and 130,530 points. My main objective was to beat G4HGI, which I was doing on the night, but his final score isn’t in yet. M0MST/P from the Cotswold hills was going great guns in the low power AL section, and has definitely beaten me, and G4VPD, also from IO92 is ahead as well. So it is looking like a 3rd or 4th place for me in this session, and a keenly fought remainder of the series in 2011.

I swerved the Harrington Arms on the way home, and maintained the current healthier lifestyle!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

M0MST/P from the Cotswold hills was going great guns in the low power AL
section, and has definitely beaten me.

He was only three miles north of me (having nicked my preferred contest site again!!), and he beat me too … even though I was running 50 watts, compared to his 10 watts. It’s some consolation to note that he only picked up 13 multipliers - the same as I did - so he obviously had the same difficulties as I encountered: i.e. zilch heard to the north of IO83/IO93.

I got off to a late and slow start, due to change of site and constant rain when setting up. :frowning:

Once again, I didn’t hear you, Tom. I rarely do. I wasted a full 10 minutes calling G4JLG in IO83 with no reply. I never did work him!

Walt (G3NYY)

Hmmm, now I see that G1HSG/P and M0BUL/P have sneaked in ahead of me, and G4HGI still hasn’t submitted a log yet. So it is looking, at best, 5th or 6th. It was a decent enough outing and an enjoyable summit activation, but I am afraid it looks like I have taken a right thumping!

I have to hope that my resilience in wet/cold SOTA portable activating will turn the advantage back to me in the Autumn and Winter sessions, and that all these new serious competitors take points off each other and even each other out.

I hope to have one trick left up my sleeve with an alternative site (SOTA summit) in one of the remaining sessions.

Tom M1EYP

Title for this thread should have been Declaring on 44 as my Dad M1EYP has done 44 consecutive days of activating not 45 consecutive days activating.

Jimmy M3EYP

But but but I had edited the first line of my opening post to cover that after you had emailed me. But thank you for making my inability to count integers accurately, clear for all to see, much appreciated son…

In reply to M1EYP:

…consecutive days of SOTA activating (minus one, Jimmy has spotted
and notified the deliberate mistake!).

I’m more concerned about the following…

FM ---- 55
SSB — 336
CW ---- 994

You missed the 1000 on CW! definite lack of dedication that :wink:

well done!

Colin G8TMV

In reply to M1EYP:

The lack of a facility to edit inaccuracies embedded in the titles of threads is a woeful shortcoming of this reflector. Such a small thing can bring a grown man to his knees. Be assured Tom, we are not gloating. It could happen to anyone of us. :slight_smile:

Enjoy the rest - until Sunday…

73, Gerald G4OIG

Coincidentally David Blaine managed 44 days in a plexiglass cube without food; that’s what I’d call a feat.

Richard
G3CWI

David Blaine is a professional illusionist. Never forget that.

In reply to M1EYP:

But but but I had edited the first line of my opening post to cover
that after you had emailed me. But thank you for making my inability
to count integers accurately, clear for all to see, much appreciated
son…

I used to know a lecturer in mathematics who was useless at arithmetic…

Brian G8ADD