DB Issue

Hi, I think there may be an issue with the DB. I’m trying to submit an activator entry. The drop down box for “Association” isn’t working. I just shows --Select Association–

I’ve tried on a PC and an android phone.

Cheers, Fraser

Same here,
Not possible to upload my activation of today
An error occurred while uploading your file. Please check the file for correctness.
Server message:
Fatal error: Uncaught PDOException: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 20047 DBPROCESS is dead or not enabled [20047] (severity 1) [select AssociationID from Associations where AssociationCode=‘HB’] in /var/www/include/utils.inc:1400 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/include/utils.inc(1400): PDOStatement->execute() #1 /var/www/api/admin/secure/verify_csv(105): summitIDFromCode(Object(PDO), ‘HB/VD-032’) #2 {main} thrown in /var/www/include/utils.inc on line 1400

Sotlas is also showing a SOTA database error when I try to connect to my activator page.

It should be back in a few moments.

1 Like

Thanks Andy :ok_hand:

No it needs a bigger kick, hang on.

@MM0EFI
Fraser, try that now.

Excellent, All good!

Many thanks for the quick fix !

Well I had to fix it quickly Olivier, I broke it!

2 Likes

When I saw it wasn’t working and then read your post about fixing spaces in callsigns etc, I put 2 and 2 together…:see_no_evil:

I forgot to commit the transaction on the console after I got a text. So with the transaction in place I could issue a rollback if the changes were poor or commit it if it looked all lovely jubbly. But I didn’t and so it meant it stopped all the other requests from people taking place and eventually the DB API process gets full of stalled jobs. Normally you can commit the pending transaction and everything whizzes away again. Which is what I tried first. The joy was absent from that fix. The DB API should clean itself out if you give it time but that could be 30mins or longer but TBH we can’t have users twiddling their thumbs till things clear when I could do something. So I restarted the process which is easy when I remembered which of the servers it runs from! If nobody was about then apart from a long delay it would eventually fix itself.

3 Likes

It looks like there’s a problem again. I tried uploading a .csv and a .adi but always got this same error message:

I heard that Whatsapp, Facebook and Instagram are down Worldwide.
I don’t know if this SOTA DB error is related in some way…

Guru

I’ve tried again this morning and everything went fine!
Problem solved, whatever it was.
Cheers,

Guru

There are quite a few servers to run the SOTA IT and spread the work about to try to make a system that copes with the load, can be extended easily and is reliable.

Yesterday the API servers had a problem and that resulted in SOTAwatch breaking. Unfortunately, all the systems have effects on each other and with the API being unavailable, the DB wasn’t able to work. Requests to the DB normally go through an DB_API server to isolate the DB from errant requests and to provide a standard method of accessing. With the API being unavailable, things went wrong that caused the DB_API to get stalled with lots of requests that were going nowhere.

Josh and Andrew had got the API servers up and that meant SOTAwatch and lots of other stuff started working. However, the DB_API was still stalled. Eventually all the stuck jobs would time out and it would start working on it’s own. But that can take some time to happen. So I restarted it.

The DB_API has had two restarts in the past days, one was me leaving the DB itself locked which stalled the DB_API. The other was the API servers not responding which also stalled the DB_API. It will recover given time. Normally one of us (me, Josh and Andrew) is about to do something as we’re spaced roughly evenly apart around the world (nr. Edinburgh, UK, NW Pacific coast, USA & nr. Melbourne, Australia).

5 Likes

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Andy. We are treated like customers! :slight_smile: :wink:
Thanks to Andy, Josh and Andrew for all your time and good work you do for all of us.

Guru

4 Likes