Day pack recommendations?

My new daypack came today:

It’s another 3F UL Tutor 26, which I already own:

https://3fulgear.com/index.php/product-category/packs/

As soon it looked like they might stop making it, I bought a spare.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

1 Like

I owe you an update on this topic.

I finally went for the Solognac X-ACCESS 45L (Decathlon):
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/x-access-45l-compact-hunting-backpack/_/R-p-125547?mc=8382550&c=KHAKI_BROWN

Pluses:

• Large 45L capacity
  • Side pocket to carry a pole
  • Front opening can be opened almost all the way
  • Plenty of straps, attachement points including below the bag (e.g. for a mat)
  • Possibility to add capacity via additional, dedicated pouches
  • Comes with a rain cover
  • System to carry a riffle can be used to carry a long pole (e.g. 1m long) with not much impact on comfort or other features of the bag (it’s a special pocket between the bag and the back, not using the side pocket).
  • Side opening to access the bottom of the bag
  • Two very large belt pockets
  • Hydration bladder compliant (I don’t use this feature though)
  • Price

Minuses:

• 1.4kg - this is not a lightweight bag
  • Only Camo and green colors and overal military look - I quite like the green color but wouldn’t go for the camo version
  • Side pocket on one side only - I prefer to have 2: one for the pole, one for a bottle of water
  • Back system is quite basic; I wouldn’t use this on technical, or very long hikes (I have another bag for this anyway).
  • A pole in the riffle carrying system could easily be mistaken for an actual riffle by passers by!

All in all I am satisifed. I took this bag on quite a few outings, including with family, and I could dump my radio equipment and plenty of other items in it. I am not afraid to scratch it or drop it on wet soil. The confort is more than good enough for my use.

3 Likes

Just upgraded to the Osprey Talon 22. I’ve recently started attempting to make as many MTB SOTA activations versus just hiking. I was using a Camelbak M.U.L.E. but quickly ran out of room for MTB kit in addition to radios. The Talon 22 is a full-sized pack for MTB and general outdoors. It has a bladder sleeve plus room for a couple antennas, the MTR kit and throw line in addition to spare tube, pump and toolkit for the bike. 2M HT rides in a side pouch with a hand mic on the chest strap.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08LP1MS9T?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

2 Likes

Having a day off today and walked into Tiso Outdoor shop in Inverness. I came away with this and £100 lighter. It would seem to be my dream SOTA sac. May be found cheaper on L-line, but 20 minutes playing about with it in the shop was worth a few extra ££.

It’s a Salewa 36l Alp Mate. Weight 1100g.

It has an air back
Lots of adjustability
The whole front opens, allowing access to kit.
It has a waterproof cover attached to the base, inside a cover
It has hydration compatibility
Hip belt, slightly padded
Chest strap

In the bottom pic from base up:
Warm layer, waterproof jacket
First aid kit
Battery, KX2 inside plastic bag
Orange bag contains inverted V and EFHW, feeder, 49:1
Plastic bag containing pegs, pencils, sharpener, string, velcro, tie wraps etc
Lid contains gloves head torch, batteries, compass, knife, Smidge, sanitiser, tissues, bags for tissues
Map is in a pocket down the back of the sac.
Plenty of room left for food and water.

I’ll let you know how I get on with it tomorrow!

Cheers, Fraser

3 Likes

OK, I’m sold.

I went with the Ortovox Peak 45 and I love it. https://www.ortovox.com/us-en/shop/backpacks/p56155-alpine-tour-peak-45
It’s slim enough for afternoon trips and big enough to do light overnights and more serious mountains. I carry my fiberglass mast in the diagonal ski position with a Voile strap at the bottom to keep it from sliding down. It has plenty of attachment options for things like skis, snowshoes, crampons, ice axe, poles, rope… I use the loops on the shoulder straps for handheld radios. Zpper all the way around allows access to the bottom of the pack without pulling everything out.

2 Likes