Database Wish List

In reply to G8ADD:

When I’ve moved the declaration what button do you want to press to actually submit the chase?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M1EYP:

I must admit, even for multiple chases, I tend to use the manual
method.

Whereas I always use CSV, even for a single contact! It takes all sorts…

In reply to MM0FMF:

This is a wild leap of intuition, you understand, Andy, but how about “next” and “submit” buttons? :wink:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Not
that anyone prepared to cheat would hesitate to agree the declaration,
anyway!

Good one Brian. I can’t imagine what you mean :wink:

ROTFL

Richard
G3CWI

I enjoy the choice of manual input and CSV/TSV import very much. There is only a very small detail missing for absolute happyness.
I like to log chaser QSOs of several activators on the same summit, band and day e.g. of joint activations. Of course the chaser points are credited only once. It’s only to see the * and to have the possibility to confirm the activator’s log.
The manual input of the website accepts the double entry of the same summit and band whereas the CSV/TSV simply omits the QSOs not credited for points.
I understand entering these double QSOs is not useful for the scoring and omitting them is the sensible consequence. Propably this is only one of many oddities some SOTA-participants like me cultivate.
So in case this is easy to do I would appreciate if the CSV-import would allow more than one activator per summit, band and day.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

Back to the wish list!
Is there any chance we could search the database for all entries of a callsign over a particular time frame? I’ll explain where I’m coming from. You’re sitting on top of a wet, windy, mountain with freezing hands, jotting down contacts on a piece of paper that resembles a damp Kleenex. When you get home the effects of the cold wet wind and poor handwriting make what was initially a legible entry into something much more ambiguous. Was that an O or a Q or a zero syndrome etc. Now the keen SOTA chasers will obviously be entering your callsign in their chaser logs. If we could search against our own callsign in chaser logs then we could capture that info and double check that we deciphered the correct callsign. In fact we could get an activator log without having to do any entry at all, just a confirmation that it’s correct!

I can already do most of this manually by searching out all the individual chaser logs, I just don’t have an SQL interface to create my own queries:-)

Pete

In reply to DB7MM:
Michael, there is a strong reason for entering a companion activator in your log…even knowing it may result in zero points. You don’t know until later which one of them will submit his or her log. So the second contact may be the one that counts. In North America, it has reached the point that fully half my SOTA contacts are with multi-climber expeditions…three of them on a summit is not unusual. Tomorrow, we have a group of FIVE hams going on a single climb. With so many Luddites in our former colony on the left side of the pond, lots of people are doing manual entry in the database by necessity.
Further, I think it’s nice to be able to see total-activators-worked in the database, in addition to points…don’t you think?
Elliott…K6ILM
#1 Troublemaker

In reply to K6ILM:

You don’t know until later which one of them will submit his or her log.

…and if both of them submit logs, they’ll both be happy to have confirmed S2S contacts with you. :wink:

73, Rick

In reply to K6ILM:

Hi Elliot, this missing facility to upload multiple contacts on the same band is known about. At once time you couldn’t enter multiple contacts on the same summit with different chasers or bands. That limit was removed but the multi contact same band limit still applies. I don’t have my notes to hand but I think John OZ4RT brought it to my attention. Fixing it did something nasty to the display of * and ? on the chaser display which is why it is still outstanding. Small fix with bigger knock-on consequences.

Andy, MM0FMF
(Sent from my tent at the contest site in IO74WV)

In reply to MM0FMF:
Dear Andy,

thank you for your reply. I do not know anything about the internals of the database but to my simple mind it is not a problem of the database itself but of the validity check of the CSV import. I have entered several multi activator same band QSOs to the database using the webfrontend. They are accepted by the webfrontend and the * and ? for this QSOs are fine in the chaser log. Only the CSV import seems to be more restrictive and omits these contacts during upload.

73 de Michael, DB7MM