Database updates

In reply to GW4BVE:

Hi John,

Sounds like a good idea, then you can use your previous experience to help us both avoid the boggy ground. I was going to pair this with MW-004, but I haven’t worked on timings as yet. It might be too long a day, but you know me - early start, late finish. I suppose I could always do Moel Y Golfa as a second summit, Hi!

73, Gerald G4OIG

John is correct on these points, as confirmed by the April 2006 update sheet to the RHB. I missed this one, but Roger didn’t; the latest version of the Welsh ARM has the new grid reference for this hill. I will amend the Database to reflect this later.

It looks like the name needs to be trimmed as John suggests as well, as the “Maen Ddu” is specific to a point at the old grid reference. The 2006 RHB update sheet does not specify that the official name has changed, but does list it simply as “Maesglase” in the table of new grid references. In fact the new grid reference is at a point on the map named “Craig Rhiw-erch” so perhaps this may become part of the official name. I suggest we trim the name to “Maesglase” for now, to reflect how it appears in the 2006 update sheet.

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom
While you are updating the database the summit of Rhiw Gwraidd is SO009633 not SO009634 as on the SOTA database.

Roger

This is also incorrect in the Wales ARM.

73 John GW4BVE

The grid reference in the RHB still appears as SO009634, but the RHB update sheet suggests twin peaks of SO009633 and SO014633. I can’t find any other evidence to suggest that RHB has officially changed the summit location, so I guess this is one for MW0IDX to adjudicate on.

The 2007 edition of the MARHOFN will be out shortly, so it might be worth just hanging on to see what’s in there for some of these issues.

Jon, all OK summits currently show zero long/lat and 5371.6 km, 178 degrees from home QTH.

In reply to M1EYP:

I am due to liaise with Martyn to get the OK summits (and other recent changes) longed and latted.

Several summits, an example being OK/ZL-032, have that problem where an Eastern European character is represented by a ? in SW2. The problem does not exist in SW1, and IIRC, does not happen in the Database. We have had this issue before, but I can’t remember whether the solution was for me to do somehing with the spreadsheets or you (Jon) to do something with the SW2 code.

In reply to G4OIG:
Must agree in that I don’t like the new name for Edmunds Tump, it smacks of the Welsh mania for renaming anything that sounds remotely English. My family came from SW and they used the word “Tump” as a humorous or ironic reference to an insignificant bump - which sounds fair enough!

When it comes to dodging boggy bits, an eye for vegetation changes is probably more useful than the GPS!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
When I lived in Worcestershire, the word Tump was also used to describe a small bump - as in The Whittington Tump near J7 of the M5. Also more unsavoury - a tump of dog s***.