Database problem?

Just wondered what the problem is with the SOTA database, as I haven’t been able to access it since yesterday? Unless it’s just a problem my end of course!

Jonathan
M6HBS

Seems fine here.

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to M6HBS:

Try logging out and back in again - that seems to cure it for most people.

Colin G8TMV

In reply to M6HBS:Hi Jonathan it is ok my end as well. Hope you get your end sorted soon.

Colin

In reply to G4SXR:
Hmmm…Not sure what the problem is here. If I click on the Database from SOTA watch it comes up with the error ‘Cannot connect to www.sotadata.org.uk

It was doing the same yesterday. I’ll try logging in and back out though.

Thanks
Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to M6HBS:

Working fine here.

In reply to G3CWI:
I’ve tried logging out and back in, but still nothing. I can access all other choices off the main page, but for some reason I can’t access the database. Spots, Alerts, Refelctor etc. all work fine.

Strange!

Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to M6HBS:
I’ve just turn off wireless on my netbook and connected using the 3G dial-up. I can access the database using that. Must be my IP (BT) who are blocking access for some reason.

Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to M6HBS:
Are you using OpenDNS’s DNS addresses for Primary and Secondary DNS servers? I’ve had problems with these in the past as they run a filter for the usual sorts of things… dubious sites etc., but other, normal sites can get caught up, as I found. Perhaps the Sota Database site has got caught up in the filter.

After experimentation the only answer was to go back to my ISP DNS server addresses for reliable connections.

David G4TUP.

In reply to G4TUP:

I have not had any issue with OpenDNS and SOTA sites.

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to M6HBS:
After problems with BT DNS servers I only use OpenDNS. Is there any way that you can check the IP address that is being returned by the DNS server. The database appears to be at www.sotadata.org.uk which should yield 95.215.224.166 at least it did 5 minutes ago.
Jim GØCQK

In reply to G0CQK:
Just got back from being out for a few hours, tried the database again and it’s now working for me again. Not sure what the problem was, but I guess the suggestions of the DNS Filtering not allowing me access was the probable answer.
Many thanks all for the help though & suggestions though!

Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to M6HBS:

In reply to G0CQK:
Just got back from being out for a few hours,

Hi Jonathan, Was that you trying to work me on SP-013 Gun, this afternoon?

If it was, I just couldn’t work out your callsign :frowning:

Regards
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to M6HBS:

In reply to G0CQK:

Hi Jonathan, was that you trying to work me on SP-013 Gun, this afternoon?

Regards
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

In reply to M6HBS:

In reply to G0CQK:

Hi Jonathan, was that you trying to work me on SP-013 Gun, this
afternoon?

No, not me Mike! I haven’t been on the radio at all SOTA wise today. I’m hoping to get up on one of my local hills this coming Friday if you’re out and about then. I’m sure I heard you early part of the week (Monday/Tuseday) from a non-SOTA location? I tried a couple of calls, but couldn’t get through.

Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to M6HBS:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

In reply to M6HBS:

No, not me Mike! I haven’t been on the radio at all SOTA wise today.
I’m hoping to get up on one of my local hills this coming Friday if
you’re out and about then. I’m sure I heard you early part of the week
(Monday/Tuseday) from a non-SOTA location? I tried a couple of calls,
but couldn’t get through.

I’m surprised you heard me at all! I was working from my local reclaimed coal tip here in Stoke-on-Trent, which is now a very nice park, complete with lake and shed loads of water foul. There’s a sort of trig point at the top of the hill, donated by either the AA or RAC (can’t remember) and it’s only 701ft ASL. Pity I wasn’t using a beam, as I would have almost certainly heard you.

If I’m out Friday and weather permitting, I’ll take a beam and try to contact you.

Mike 2E0YYY