Database...new thread

As requested by Brian G8ADD…

In reply to M1EYP:

Last year, I did an activation on ISW on Gun G/SP-013. I camped on
summit overnight. I entered my logs as Sat - 91 QSOs, Sun - 59 QSOs.
Both activations scored zero as I had already activated the summit.

Instead of entering two activations as 91 (0 points) and 59 (0
points), should I have entered one activation as 150 (0 points)? Does
it make any difference? Even if there was a point going, it would
have been 1+0 = 1. Or just 1.

Surely, this depends on what your priority as an activator is? For someone such as myself, the fun of SOTA is working pile-ups rather than pursuing points. Looking at the unofficial Highest Number of Qso’s League, clearly, I’m far from the exception.

Therefore, perhaps someone can tell me if this is correct?

AIUI, I could effectively set my tent up on G/SP-004, start transmitting at 0001z Saturday morning, work thru until 2359z Sunday evening, possibly bag 600 qso’s, log it as a single 48 hour activation and then claim the lead of the unofficial Highest Number of Qso’s League? The chasers could work me on both days claiming 2 points each day, however, I’m assuming as my activation is classed a single activation, I would only be allowed to log their callsign once in that 48 hour period, unless I work them again on a different band?

Mike

2E0YYY

Your proposal looks fine to me Mike. Daft, but fine :wink:

Your biggest problem will be the rangers.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Your proposal looks fine to me Mike. Daft, but fine :wink:

LOL, thanks for clearing that up for me…

Your biggest problem will be the rangers.

Don’t worry, Tom. I plan to do it in January, when the rangers should be sat in front of their roaring fires :wink:

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

For someone such as myself, the fun of SOTA is working pile-ups rather than
pursuing points. Looking at the unofficial Highest Number of Qso’s League,
clearly, I’m far from the exception.

Well comparing you with the top 2 they seem to be chasing points. bagging uniques and working pileups. In fact Mike, you’re way off the form as they’re working the pileups 3 to 4 times faster and getting 2 to 3 times the points. HA3HK is working the pileups 3 times faster and using CW as well! :wink:

EA5ER:
Average points/activation 2.4
Average qso/activation 300
Total operation time 25hrs
Average QSO/10mins 9.9

HA3HK:
Average points/activation 3.36
Average qso/activation 60.1
Total operation time 98hrs
Average QSO/10mins 7.1

2E0YYY:
Average points/activation 0.94
Average qso/activation300 58.7
Total operation time 195hrs
Average QSO/10mins 2.6

Seriously though Mike, you do SOTA the way you like. Me, I hate setting up and taking down the station. I loathe it. I do enjoy getting uniques ticked off the list. (All that OIG’s fault!) So I’d rather walk further, bag 1 unique with one setup/take down and offer a summit that hasn’t been on air for a few years to tempt the chasers than rush about and bag 3 or 4 summits.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to 2E0YYY:

AIUI, I could effectively set my tent up on G/SP-004, start
transmitting at 0001z Saturday morning, work thru until 2359z Sunday
evening, possibly bag 600 qso’s, log it as a single 48 hour activation

Why stop there? For a tiny additional investment of time you could do an activation spanning 4 days. If an activation is allowed to cross a day boundary I can’t see any reason why it shouldn’t be allowed to do so more than once.

In reply to MM0FMF:

2E0YYY:
Average QSO/10mins 2.6

Seriously though Mike, you do SOTA the way you like. Me, I hate
setting up and taking down the station. I loathe it. I do enjoy
getting uniques ticked off the list. (All that OIG’s fault!) So I’d
rather walk further, bag 1 unique with one setup/take down and offer a
summit that hasn’t been on air for a few years to tempt the chasers
than rush about and bag 3 or 4 summits.

Thanks for the stats, Andy.

Taking into account my highest scores have not only been done using the mike but also using the much more limiting VHF band, I’m always going to be severly disadvantaged. Mind you, once this dreadful weather changes, I plan to work some HF again. I’ve already dusted off the Antron 99.

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I’ve already dusted off
the Antron 99.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I’ve already dusted off
the Antron 99.

http://www.g0vqy.co.uk/pdf/a99.pdf

Not as good as the IMAX-2000, my home qth antenna, Richard.

http://www.video-observer.com/imax/imax2000.htm

The IMAX is extremely well regarded by American Hams…

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1376

However, despite the A99s shortcomings it’s certainly no slouch and produced some brilliant DX fron G/SP-015 in March.

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to G3CWI:

It’s no use attempting to explain it’s an end fed with a bit of shunt matching and not something with mystical powers.

I’ve given up.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to 2E0YYY:

2E0YYY:
Average QSO/10mins 2.6

Hi Mike

At least you take the time for a chat with the chasers too!!

What Andy’s stats don’t show is that you’re talking for the whole 10 mins hi hi

Speak soon

Tubby

In reply to M0TUB:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Mike

At least you take the time for a chat with the chasers too!!

What Andy’s stats don’t show is that you’re talking for the whole 10
mins hi hi

Yeah, VHF is a whole different animal, Dave.

When I first started SOTA, I only worked HF and was surprised at just how quickly the Europeans gave a signal report and said 73s after answering a SOTA CQ.

It’s a while since we had a S2S Dave, I’m hoping to get some HF activations done very shortly so look forward to a qso soon.

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to G3CWI:

It’s no use attempting to explain it’s an end fed with a bit of shunt
matching and not something with mystical powers.

I’ve given up.

Andy
MM0FMF

Yes, why make something that cost you 50 pence when you can buy an antenna for a £150 that works half as well.

Steve GW7AAV

In reply to MM0FMF:

Seriously though Mike, you do SOTA the way you like. Me, I hate setting up and taking down the station. I loathe it I do enjoy getting uniques ticked off the list. (All that OIG’s fault!) So I’d rather walk further, bag 1 unique with one setup/take down and offer a summit that hasn’t been on air for a few years to tempt the chasers than rush about and bag 3 or 4 summits.

Yes, setting up the kit on the 5th or 6th summit of the day does get a tad tedious. Been there and have a pile of teeshirts. I’m still doing it to some extent, perhapst to prove that I still can, but moreso to ensure the best possible VFM. However, I too like a more leisurely single or dual summit day with a bit more operating time. Whatever the MO, I always like time for a bit of a waffle - assuming I’m not in the middle of a rain storm. All in all, variety is the spice of life.

Pleased to note that I am responsible (and I assume Paul also by association) for getting the uniques interest well and truly on board for you. The adventure starts when you drive down that road you’ve never been on before - that’s before you have to start making decisions such as where to park the car!

73, Gerald G4OIG

P.S. Not sure whether my ordered brain would allow me to pass 00:00UTC on a summit - some might then accuse me of doing a repeat activation!

Not if you only entered it is a single log.

Tom M1EYP