Database Fun

Using the filters on the scoring Database - ie association, band, mode, year - can you make yourself numero uno in any combination?

I haven’t found one for me :frowning: Shame there isn’t a filter for number of activations :wink:

There are many other bits of data that can be extracted from the Database - numbers of QSOs, fastest to a certain threshold etc - but the rules of the “game” are to use only the existing Database filters.

I was once the World’s Top Activator - in the 2004 table on 1st January 2004, after a 4 x (2 point + 3 winter bonus) day!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

It would be a totally pointless exercise as the figures tell lies!!

Done it!

I am the number one G-activator, in 2007, on 21MHz CW.

I knew I had to be good at something hi!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Done it!

I am the number one G-activator, in 2007, on 21MHz CW.

Tom M1EYP

But you may not be really, you are wasting your time, I told you, the database figures tell lies!!

73 Mike

It is absolutely genuine, I can assure you.

In reply to M1EYP:

It is absolutely genuine, I can assure you.

OK then, you mentioned the database figures can show us the fastest to a threshold.

Do me a favour Tom because I’m not much good at this sort of thing, can you check the database and tell me, Who was the fastest to Shacksloth (not fastest to score 1000 pts) and who was the fastest to Superslothdom (not the fastest to score 10000 pts)?

Please note their is a definite difference to fastest Supersloth and fastest to score 10000 points.

73 Mike

Tom

I never realised that databases can be so much fun - should have had you as my teacher.

Apparently I am the number 1 Scottish activator for CW QSOs all bands in 2007 - at least until Jack (COX) updates his database.

73 Glyn

You can extract that information from the Database Mike, but there aren’t any features to produce tables automatically, like there are for the activator/chaser scores in particular associations, bands, modes and years. You would have to trawl through the individuals’ logs, copy and paste to Excel.

This ‘bit of fun’ is all about using the existing filters on the Database. I’m sure you can make yourself top in several combinations Mike!

Has anyone else tried it yet?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to GW0DSP:
Mike re-read what Tom said. Things can be extracted from the database if you have access to it all and write your own filters, The rules of his little Fun Game state quite clearly only using the filters provided :slight_smile:
I am definitely the only person in the world to enter a cw chase on 70cms in the database. The only errors (not lies) are erroneous entries, the fault of the submitter, and the fact that not everybody contributes to the database either ever or on a regular basis. But in the context of the thread title it is fun to see what comes up.

Roger G4OWG

ps your not on Skype with the fisher at the moment are you :slight_smile:

In reply to M1EYP:

The database figures are not reliable though Tom, because they are open to manipulation and in fact, as you know, have been manipulated in an attempt to change the history of certain sota milestones.

So what’s the point in the exercise, Fun? Yes, accuraccy? No.

73 Mike

In reply to G4OWG:

In reply to GW0DSP:

ps your not on Skype with the fisher at the moment are you :slight_smile:

I’m on Skype with a few friends, but I have a mind of my own Roger and will never need prompting by others. Who is the fisher by the way? :wink:

I agree that Tom’s data games are pure good fun, very enjoyable actually, but again maybe the written word comes across wrong.

The fact is, the database can and has been manipulated, as a deliberate attempt to claim a sota milestone from another person, hence my remark, the database tells lies, the figures don’t reflect the true facts.

73 Mike

P.S. Congrats on being 70cms supremo Roger.

In reply to GW0DSP:

In reply to G4OWG:

In reply to GW0DSP:
Who is the fisher by the way? :wink:

in the words of Francis Urquart " I couldn’t possibly comment" :slight_smile:

The fact is, the database can and has been manipulated, as a
deliberate attempt to claim a sota milestone from another person,

I think a judicious “in my opinion” is required here Mike. Unless you have proof positive.
But enough of this banter. After all the ethos of SOTA is about attaining personal goals, not comparing against achievements of other even though this can be fun and even a personal goal. Under this ethos if someone cheats, and I not saying anyone has, they are only fooling themselves. The award system clearly illustrates this in that there are no awards that reward positions in league tables.
My last word on subject in this thread.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to M1EYP:

I am joint top in numerous things on the database.

Joint top in not having any 23 cm qso’s
Joint top in scoring nil points on CW.
Joint top on zero 70Mhz activations or chases.

So perhaps the question would be harder if it were not “what am I good at”, but what combination gives me the most worsts (ie least number of joint tops).

Whilst it seems a pointless excercise, it may throw up some combination that you might think “hey, I’ll give that a go next time” rather than concentrating on the “comfort zone”.

Ian
G7ADF

In reply to G4OWG:

In reply to GW0DSP:

In reply to G4OWG:

In reply to GW0DSP:

I think a judicious “in my opinion” is required here Mike.
Unless you have proof positive.

Oh I most certainly do have proof positive Roger, so do others.

After all the ethos of SOTA is about attaining personal goals, not
comparing against achievements of other even though this can be fun and
even a personal goal.

Exactly, and having achieved a personal goal it would be nice to receive the support of ones peers if database manipulation took place and resulted in you being robbed of that personal goal!!

Under this ethos if someone cheats, and I not saying anyone has, they are
only fooling themselves.

But in the case of manipulating the database they also cheat another individual from their rightful place in sota history, in my opinion, that is wrong!!

Manipulation of the database is not cheating by the way, apparently you can manipulate the database with the full blessing of the MT. And yes, I have proof of that to.

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

The fact is, the database can and has been manipulated, as a
deliberate attempt to claim a sota milestone from another person,
hence my remark, the database tells lies, the figures don’t reflect
the true facts.

With respect, Mike, that’s quite an allegation.
Like many others, I take the integrity of the SOTA database seriously. In my view it’s a superb resource and a real asset to the SOTA programme.

73, Fred
GI4MWA

In reply to M1EYP:

I’ll play !!!

Top English chaser on 3.5MHz CW in 2005 - four whole summits !!!

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to GI4MWA:

Unfortunately Fred it’s 100% true and I do have the proof to back it up.

I only know of the 1 case, because it affected my personal achievement within sota, although that particular achievement is not recognised by the awarding of a sota certificate. However it was a personal goal which I worked very hard for.

I would make it very clear that this manipulation was by an individual and nothing whatsoever to do with MT or those who control the database and website, the database and website is very safe in the hands of those who do the magnificant job of controlling and maintaining them.

73 Mike

Anyway, back to the original topic of this thread.

Thank you to Glyn, Roger and Les for their entertaining claims to SOTA supremacy. Who else can make themselves appear at the top of a Database honour roll? Do tell.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Hee hee! I didn’t think I would be able to play in this game because Robin “Mr. Incredible” GM7PKT is in the same association as me. :slight_smile:

However, I can be top of GM for 2007 if you only include 80m CW contacts!

I’m sure there have been many more 80m CW contacts than the one I have logged.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I can be top of GM for 2007 if you only include 80m CW
contacts!

Andy - what do you mean ‘top GM’ you are the ONLY GM to have activated 80m CW !!! Just wait til I get my new antenna built hee hee

Glyn