Database failure

In reply to G0AZS:
Am I the only one not able to submit chaser log entries?

I get this error message:
Server Error in ‘/’ Application.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

73! Mads, LA1TPA

well done … and a big thanks to all who were involved in solving the problem. one little thing bothers me:

everytime i click on another link i need to login again. i log in, then i type in the chaser-log manually, and when i wand to save it i need to log-in again and the entered data has not been saved … ???

i wonder if some of you are experiencing the same problem?

73 de martin, oe5reo

In reply to G0AZS:

Aaarrrggh! Maybe not quite fixed! Keeps flipping back to the log-in screen as I try to enter my activator logs.

Maybe suffering from 30,000 people trying to do the same…

Hopefully will calm down soon!

73 de Paul G4MD

The quirk has been noted.

I suggest we stop hammering the server and let it get sorted which may take a little time yet. Nearly there…

73 Marc G0AZS

Just a big thankyou to all who are working on getting the database sorted.

It’s much appreciated.

73, Ian GW8OGI.

Wow, the speed of the database now is awesome. I reckon that was worth waiting for, don’t you? As reported, we are aware of one or two further little tweaks to be addressed, but hopefully most people are feeling somewhat more relaxed and less inconvenienced now! (Except for Andy MM0FMF who demonstrably kept the faith!).

The thankyous should be directed to Gary G0HJQ who has worked long and hard on this matter for two weeks, often putting in 8 hours work on the Database AFTER coming home from a full day’s work. Above and beyond the call of duty in my book, and very much appreciated.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

It is fast, but I cannot input my logs. I get the same “exception error” referred to by Mads.

I am using Mozilla Firefox 3.6.3.

:frowning:

Walt (G3NYY)

Works fine on IE8. Doesn’t work on Opera v10.52

In reply to LX1NO:
I received the error message when using Firefox 3.6.3.

73! Mads, LA1TPA

In reply to G4MD:

In reply to G0AZS:

Aaarrrggh! Maybe not quite fixed! Keeps flipping back to the log-in
screen as I try to enter my activator logs.

Maybe suffering from 30,000 people trying to do the same…

Hopefully will calm down soon!

Same here so will try again later, but a big thank you to Gary G0HJQ for the work he has done in getting it back up and running.

Terry
G0VWP

In reply to LX1NO:

Works fine on IE8.

Nope. I just tried it with IE8 to enter an activation log, and I got the same exception error.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G0VWP:
Same error here. I just think if it is worth to do the input of some 90 SOTA
worked since 16Apr or just finish with SOTA …

73 de Mike, dj5av

In reply to LX1NO:

First thanks, that the DB is back! I successfully uploaded a few CSV logs now using Opera 10.52.

The database is very fast now, but after a few seconds of inactivity I am logged out and I must to log in again.

73, Pavel OK1MCS

In reply to DJ5AV:
HI Mike

Why dont you just put your 90 chases into a CSV file in the correct format now… and then when Gary has done the final fixes, you can just upload it in one go. Much faster.

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to DJ5AV:

I have about 150 activator and chaser logs to enter. I will try to do them tonight as CSV files, but if that doesn’t work, I will simply wait until the issues have been resolved.

There are a few other small matters as well, such as the Recent Activations and Most Popular summits lists which aren’t currently working correctly. We know about these and Gary is working on them. The main thing is the Database is back and no data has been lost.

The most important thing for me is that the Database and SOTAwatch will be up-to-date with all the details of the new associations and summits launching on 1 May for International SOTA Weekend.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Welcome back and thanks to all involved.
Chaser Log now up-to-date via csv (had to use IE yuck) :slight_smile:

Roger G4OWG

I was getting quite fed up waiting for the database to get back as I have loads of stuff to input, but I must say it seems to have been worth the wait. The new server is much faster. My chaser log with nearly 5,000 entries took 3 seconds to download. It was taking upwards of 160 seconds on the old server. I have also had news that Sky are up-grading my line on the 18th of May so that may help by increasing our abysmal data rates to something approaching a crawl. Who knows I might even get the 20Mbs that they are claiming, but I won’t hold my breath. If I get more than the 1.8Mbs (at 3am) maximum I get now I will be mildly pleased. My connection often become almost unusable at weekends.

A gold star to those responsible for getting it up and running again.

Regards Steve GW7AAV

NB: There are a few issues with the database, but just glad it is back. No doubt others may find others.

1/ Not staying logged in. Keep having to log in again each page change.
2/ Opens up on G results rather than the right association.

Well done to everyone involved in getting the database up and running. No doubt the outstanding issues will be resolved soon.

In reply to Steve GW7AAV: … 2/ Opens up on G results rather than the right association.

For some of us that is not an issue :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to GW7AAV:

1/ Not staying logged in. Keep having to log in again each page change.

Well that’s obvious isn’t!

The code has some looping code to implement the logout delay. When the loop times out you get logged out. That was tuned to the speed of the old server. Now that the new server goes like the clappers, the delay is far too short. Just needs making bigger!

In fact if Gary does this right he can add a bit of code to calculate the speed of the new server and automatically scale the loop counter to the correct size. That means when we move to an even faster server the code will be correct without adjustment! :wink:

Andy (sorry if non-programmers don’t get the joke)
MM0FMF

In reply

MANY THANKS

BEST 73

F5SQA / Daniel only chaser / only CW