Database access problem

I’m trying to upload my latest QSO but received this message
""“Database Error :
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)”""

In reply to IK3GER:

Hi
I got the same massege at 10:15 of the 21.5.2010.

Any help please?

73 de HB9BIN, Jürg

I do not know the cause of this error, but I have seen it before myself. I just tend to log off and log back on again a few seconds later, and all is well. Even if halfway through submitted a large activator log of many QSOs, the Database stores the information and invites me to carry on again from where I was.

Let us know if the situation persists.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to HB9BIN_3:

Dear Tom, M1EYP

And now i get a knew Message.

Do you have a good pice od advice?

tks es 73 de HB9BIN, Jürg

An error has occured whilst saving the Chaser Details :
System.ApplicationException: Database Error Adding Chaser Entry —> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: The transaction log for database ‘sotadata_db’ is full. To find out why space in the log cannot be reused, see the log_reuse_wait_desc column in sys.databases at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning() at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() at SOTA.AddChaserEntry.AddEntry(SqlConnection dbConnection, Int32 userID, Int32 summitID, DateTime activationDate, String timeOfDay, String ownCallsign, String otherCallsign, String notes, String band, String mode) in D:\SOTA\AddChaserEntry.cs:line 110 — End of inner exception stack trace — at SOTA.AddChaserEntry.AddEntry(SqlConnection dbConnection, Int32 userID, Int32 summitID, DateTime activationDate, String timeOfDay, String ownCallsign, String otherCallsign, String notes, String band, String mode) in D:\SOTA\AddChaserEntry.cs:line 120 at SOTA.AddChaser2.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\SOTA\AddChaser2.aspx.cs:line 85

In reply to HB9BIN_3:

Hi Jürg,

Do you have a good pice od advice?

That is a log message for the database programmers to tell that the code has a bug. All big and complex codes have bugs aka features. These can be fixed or a way around them can be engineered. SOTA database seems to use the second option maybe because the bug can not be fixed easily.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

Jürg

The real issue is the part near the start that reads ‘The transaction log for database ‘sotadata_db’ is full’.

This as nothing to do with you or the way you are using the system, it is a matter for the Database / System Admins to deal with.

I have had this on an SQL server which was caused by the Database Backup system failing to complete a backup and the log growing so big it filled the available disk space.

If the Admins have not fixed this already then I guess it won’t be long before they do.

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to M1EYP:

I do not know the cause of this error, but I have seen it before
myself. I just tend to log off and log back on again a few seconds
later, and all is well. Even if halfway through submitted a large
activator log of many QSOs, the Database stores the information and
invites me to carry on again from where I was.

Let us know if the situation persists.

I can confirm that I, too, experience this error. In fact it happens rather frequently. I input my activation logs manually, line by line, and the error has occurred on almost every occasion that I’ve input a log since the database came back on line. As Tom says, the work-round is to log off, then log back on again and accept the invitation to continue where I left off. No data have ever been lost.

I normally use Mozilla Firefox, but I’ve also tried Internet Explorer 8 and the error occurs with both browsers.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Dear Jaakko, Stewart and Walt

tks for your comments. Log off and log back on again a few seconds
later worked! So fare this hint worked on all erorrs of SOTA-DB.

73 es tnx de HB9BIN, Jürg (George)