CW Summit - to - Summit

Some day I may try my first CW summit-to-summit, knowing that it may lead to further cw activity from that summit (which I rather dread). Would the ‘/P’ on my call be enough to indicate that an S-to-S is being looked for, or is there a prefered call?

Regards, Dave, a reluctant brass-pounder.

In reply to M0DFA:

Some day I may try my first CW summit-to-summit, knowing that it may
lead to further cw activity from that summit (which I rather dread).
Would the ‘/P’ on my call be enough to indicate that an S-to-S is
being looked for, or is there a prefered call?

Regards, Dave, a reluctant brass-pounder.

If it’s as a chaser, then /p dropped into the pileup sometimes helps for the activator to pull you out, and most other chasers stop and let you get on with exchanging Summit info.
Once you get answered by the activator just send your report as usual followed by your summit ref. e.g. DE MODFA/p GA UR RST 579 on G/SC-007. Normally you’d follow up with Tks for S2S 73 etc.

As an activator the same would also normally happen if you answer a /p station. The chaser will furnish you with the Summit ref.
Of course there’s nothing to stop you exchanging, names, QTH, equipment info, WX, name of wife and mistress etc., but the baying pack may just get restless…

As a chasing activator, moving 1 Khz up after your S2S QSO sometimes brings in more chasers to your spot.

HTH
Pete

In reply to M0DFA:

My ears prick up when I hear /p on the end of a call when activating. My brain goes into seek-out-the-summit-ref mode. Whereas I just bumble along when people send GA ANDY TKS SOTA etc. as I’m writing the log entry etc.

My ears pricked the most when I was called by (and it took a few attempts to copy it all) EA8/DK???/P (I forget the full call). I was looking for an S2S with an African SOTA summit but he was just on holiday out in The Canaries.

Andy
MM0FMF